• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Topic: Ancient GPO versions? Kontakt 4?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Ancient GPO versions? Kontakt 4?

    Are there any known problems in using the Kontakt versions of GPO with Kontakt 4 as opposed to the version of Kontakt Player 2 that ships with GPO?

    Is there any reason to keep the version of GPO around that uses Kontakt Player 1? If not, what's the most effective way of deleting it cleanly?

  2. #2

    Re: Ancient GPO versions? Kontakt 4?

    I've been using all of the Garritan products that I own with each upgrade version of Kontakt that Native-Instruments has been providing its customers. This includes GPO, JABB, as well as Garritan's Stradivari and Gofriller Cello. If I recall correctly, there might have been some issues between the Stradivari/Gofriller libraries and earlier versions of Kontakt 3. But, so far, I'm experiencing no issues with ANY of the Garritan libraries and Kontakt 4. By the way, the current issue is Kontakt 4.1 which is 64 bit. So far, this has been the best version of Kontakt that I've enjoyed.

    With that said. . . . it may be worth your while to upgrade your Garritan products to the Aria Player. There's been some upgrades and instrumental additions to the libraries themselves, and the Aria Player is working just fine. It's very CPU and memory friendly which is GREAT for large sequencing projects. Some Project Sam brass has been added to the GPO 4 version (with the Aria Player) which makes the $49 upgrade price worth it by itself. If you own earlier versions of GPO, you qualify for the upgrade!

    I tell you. . . it doesn't hurt to have both Kontakt 4 and Aria!

    Hope this is helpful!

    Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

  3. #3

    Re: Ancient GPO versions? Kontakt 4?

    Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    With that said. . . . it may be worth your while to upgrade your Garritan products to the Aria Player. There's been some upgrades and instrumental additions to the libraries themselves, and the Aria Player is working just fine.
    I've done that. However, (a) the upgrade isn't available for Strad yet, and (b) I have some other sample libraries that are native to Kontakt; if I'm using those at the same time as GPO samples, I'd rather not have to load two sample players at the same time.

  4. #4

    Re: Ancient GPO versions? Kontakt 4?

    What about the KP1 versions -- is there any reason to keep those samples around any longer, or can I just uninstall them?

  5. #5

    Re: Ancient GPO versions? Kontakt 4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Koenig View Post
    I've done that. However, (a) the upgrade isn't available for Strad yet, and (b) I have some other sample libraries that are native to Kontakt; if I'm using those at the same time as GPO samples, I'd rather not have to load two sample players at the same time.
    I don't know if the Aria Engine will be made available for the Strad. So far, though, the Strad seems to work just fine with Kontakt 4.1. Know, though, that I haven't used the Strad extensively within Kontakt 4.1 yet. I've just done some relatively simple sequencing to make sure all was well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Koenig
    What about the KP1 versions -- is there any reason to keep those samples around any longer, or can I just uninstall them?
    If I remember correctly, the KP1 versions are stored within their own folder. When you upgraded to the later versions of GPO, those updates should have been put into their own folders as well. Unless you're hurting for disk space, I don't see any reason to delete the KP1 version of GPO. On the other hand, I don't see how it would hurt if you deleted them either.

    If the Native-Instruments Service Center recognizes all versions of GPO, especially the newer versions that you own, it should be o.k. to de-activate and delete the older versions that you don't use.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

  6. #6

    Re: Ancient GPO versions? Kontakt 4?

    Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    If I remember correctly, the KP1 versions are stored within their own folder. When you upgraded to the later versions of GPO, those updates should have been put into their own folders as well. Unless you're hurting for disk space, I don't see any reason to delete the KP1 version of GPO. On the other hand, I don't see how it would hurt if you deleted them either.

    If the Native-Instruments Service Center recognizes all versions of GPO, especially the newer versions that you own, it should be o.k. to de-activate and delete the older versions that you don't use.
    I'm talking about the samples, not the players.

    I have already uninstalled Kontakt Player 1, and think I want to keep the Kontakt Player 2 samples around just in case. The question is whether there are still KP1 samples sitting around that I can delete to save space.

  7. #7

    Re: Ancient GPO versions? Kontakt 4?

    For the same reason as the OP I kept my Kontakt versions of GPO and JABB (the samples and nki's) on my system - sometimes it is just easier to load something into Kontakt (in my case v4.1) than fire up Aria.

    I like the Aria player a lot - heck, I liked GigaStudio<G>, but it really does drive me a little bit nuts to have to maintain multiple sample engines. That's probably the biggest thing that keeps me from investigating PLAY or Independence. (I did install the original free version of Independence, and it too does some cool things, but I really don't want yet another engine!)

    Sometimes I really wish NI had treated Gary a little better!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •