• Register
  • Help

Topic: XP x86 to w7 x64.. 32 bit vsti's not usable

Share/Bookmark

XP x86 to w7 x64.. 32 bit vsti's not usable

I'm building a ned daw pc, planning to run win7 x64 on it (6gb or more ram).

curently on xp 32bit (2gb ram)

I have quite a few of vst instruments, lots of free vst instruments and retail, and some large sample libraries.. (large projects barely run, i'm forced to compromise on the creative process because of technical limitations)

my friend is running w7 64bit, I tried installing some of the vst instruments on his pc for a test, and most of them just would not install, and those that did weren't usable...

now i don't know which OS to choose.. I gonna need lots of ram because of large sample libraries..

Re: XP x86 to w7 x64.. 32 bit vsti's not usable

Quote Originally Posted by EnsoniqFan View Post
    I'm building a ned daw pc, planning to run win7 x64 on it (6gb or more ram).

curently on xp 32bit (2gb ram)

I have quite a few of vst instruments, lots of free vst instruments and retail, and some large sample libraries.. (large projects barely run, i'm forced to compromise on the creative process because of technical limitations)

my friend is running w7 64bit, I tried installing some of the vst instruments on his pc for a test, and most of them just would not install, and those that did weren't usable...

now i don't know which OS to choose.. I gonna need lots of ram because of large sample libraries..

Hi EnsoniqFan

You did do the best thing when you tried some VST instruments on your friends PC windows 7 64bit, its one of the best ways of testing is to do a kind of prototype and test the system out.

I have also built a new system and running windows 7 64bit and it is rock solid stable I have never used anything from microsoft that is as stable as windows 7 it is realy great.

I did not find windows 7 64 to be the problem when it came to older VST instruments, the problem came from the host music platform I am using Cubase 5 and it is by far the best platform I have used but running it in the option 64bit did limit me to the newer VST instruments like omnisphere and cubases own VST instrunents all worked fine no problems but when it came to an older VST instrument cubase 64bit did not accept it.

So I scaled Cubase 5 back down to 32bit running on windows7 64bit then I was able to use older VST instruments without any problem, the only thing that you may need to do is drag the dll folder from the windows aplication menue and put it in your host or paste it there so your host can see it.

The more memory you have the better you cant go wrong with 6gig.

Im sure you will get a lot more tips but hope you can take something from this one.

Keep creating

novaburst

Gigabyte EP43UD3L. Core2Duo3gighz6MBcatch.ram 4gighz DDR800hz.seagate1500TBHDD Soundcard:M-AUDIO Fasttrack Pro USB. OS windows764bit.Host Cubase5update. Wavelabstudio 6. Hypersonic with modules. Omnisphere. VST sound collection
    Hardware: controlFreek 16 channel. Samson Cvalve. BasePodLine6. BEHRINGER 8channal mixer.NAD AMP. JBL speakers.Instruments: yamahaP80. yamahaSY35. fender strat. washburn acustic guitar, main intrument: six string TBR yamaha base guitar.
    Last edited by novaburst; 06-11-2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: spelling

If 32bit version cubase is installed on w7 x64, will it take advantage of all the RAM installed?

doesn't windows automaticaly create a dedicated x86 program files folder for 32bit software anyways?

I'm running Cubase 5 64bit (Win 7 64) using JBridge. No problems using all my 32bit plugs.
    Intel - Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core 12Gig DDR3 1HD - 500GB for system 3HD - 1TB Seagate Sata II for audio and samples RME Multiface II Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Cubase 5 64 bit Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, EWQLSO Gold with Close Mics, QL Choirs, Gypsy, SD1, SD2 Pro, QL Pianos Gold, QL RA, Fab Four, Ministry of Rock, Reaktor, Memphis Horns, Ethno World II, Garritan Strings

Quote Originally Posted by EnsoniqFan View Post
    If 32bit version cubase is installed on w7 x64, will it take advantage of all the RAM installed?

doesn't windows automaticaly create a dedicated x86 program files folder for 32bit software anyways?

Running cubase in 32 bit you can only access 4gig of ram, but running cubase in 64 bit you can have all the ram that is avail to you, because Cubase has a poor bridge it will give you limitations on 32bit VST plugins.

Thanks for the (imput from Slinky ). to solve the plugin problem you can install a Jbridge if you want cubase 64bit to run all your 32bit plugins and give you access to as much ram as you want.

Yes windows does create x86 files but you will still need to drag the dll into cubase.

Thanks Slinky for your imput I will be trying Jbridge one day but not using crazy amount of ram at the moment.

Keep creating

novaburst

Gigabyte EP43UD3L. Core2Duo3gighz6MBcatch.ram 4gighz DDR800hz.seagate1500TBHDD Soundcard:M-AUDIO Fasttrack Pro USB. OS windows764bit.Host Cubase5update. Wavelabstudio 6. Hypersonic with modules. Omnisphere. VST sound collection
    Hardware: controlFreek 16 channel. Samson Cvalve. BasePodLine6. BEHRINGER 8channal mixer.NAD AMP. JBL speakers.Instruments: yamahaP80. yamahaSY35. fender strat. washburn acustic guitar, main intrument: six string TBR yamaha base guitar.

Just to clarify and emphasize a couple of things:

1) Almost all 64 bit hosts, including cubase, come with a wrapper to permit you to continue to use your 32 bit plugins. In other words, using a 64 bit host does not mean you have to give up use of any plugins which are not yet available as 64 bit. In addition, you can use a 3rd party wrapper, JBridge, on windows for this purpose. Some people have reported better results with JBridge than with the wrapper that comes with Cubase.

Note that Spectrasonics plugins are all available as 64 bit, even on the Macintosh, so there is no need to use a wrapper for Spectrasonics plugins.

2) There is no need to drag any .dll's to install Spectrasonics plugins for a 64 bit host on Windows. The installer asks you where you want to install your 64 bit plugin. Simply enter the name of the folder where your host looks for plugins. Every Windows host has a preference setting that specifies that folder, so check your host's preferences if you're not sure where that folder is.

- Glenn
    Glenn O
    Spectrasonics

Go Back to forum