• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - but not by much - appreciation for this forum!

Thumbs up OT - but not by much - appreciation for this forum!

Hey Everyone!

I have been absent for a while. (At least in consistent frequency of visiting, posting, listening, etc). And I have missed it.

I've been busy working on a business producing personal documentaries for people and find it very rewarding. And although I get to write nice music for these projects, 95% of my focus has been in video production techniques, software, equipment, etc. It's a far different direction for my creative energies than I have wandered into before, but it is still very satisfying creatively. (And GOOD money!)

But I have certainly not been able to really sink my teeth into composition or music production - my first love and passion.

As the days and months (and over 2 years now) passed since embarking on this journey, I started to lessen my appreciation for my own music and talent for it because I was replacing it with something else. (add to that a pretty unhealthy dose of self-criticism) I've become less excited about it, and more interested in film and video production. But that hasn't stopped the music from being in my head. I've just dismissed it and have tried to drown it out with something else creative. I have done a few small film scores from time to time, and even was able to eek out an entry for the Christmas Album, but other than that, nothing that wasn't tied to some other project.

Well, this morning, I was taking a break from editing interview footage and got onto the NS forum and before I knew it, 4 hours had passed! I had so much fun reading and listening.

I even looked up some old posts of mine, including some with my music. And reading the comments from all of you has given me a new appreciation for this forum and its members. You've also given me back an appreciation for my music that I had lost. At the time those old posts were new, even then, I think I dismissed much of it as mere politeness (as this forum is justly famous for). but today I as I read, I was struck how very sincere and honest those comments and insights were. They have really opened my eyes again. Now I am excited about writing music again.

I cannot thank you enough. Thank you for your support, your comments, your criticisms, and your friendship!

VERY Sincerely,

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Re: OT - but not by much - appreciation for this forum!

What a fantastic post Jerry - it really brings home what the forum is all about - a great reminder for everyone.

Thanks for posting!

Hi Jerry:

Yes, we have missed you and your great compositions, but diverting
    a little for awhile has probably enhanced your appreciation of other
    forms of creative art. Film and videography always need background
    music and are so closely related to music composition.

I would look at it this way: You have a good foundation in music
    composition and have learned a great deal about film. I venture to
    say that you will never lose the knowledge you have acquired in
    both skills. So, do both when you can. If business needs to "take
    care of business," then put more time into that; when you get a break,
    sit down and chart some themes and short phrases of music. When you
    have more time, develop anything you have on hand.

What a joy to be able to do both and how thankful you must be to
    have talent in both specialties.

Good to hear from you, Jerry.

P.S. You are so right. Film projects can be a great source of income.
    I did that first and then went into learning about sampled sounds so I
    could use my academic background in music to write for video. I've been
    away from video for about 4 years, but I feel that those skills are just
    being "reserved" for later use. Right now, I am still learning about creating
    the best musical sound I can get from the libraries I like best.....Garritan.
    It's amazing how much pleasure results from using great musical tools.
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I completely agree with much of what you said. I tend to be the worst when it comes to being critical of my own work. I feel like every single measure of every single part needs to be a thing of absolute and utter brilliance.

Fortunately I have my wife to talk me down along with a number of other musicians in my field who can give me a more objective take on my work. Still, I find that when I come back to stuff I wrote after a year, I become a much bigger fan since I'm not obsessing over every little thing that I used to know about. In fact, I'd pretty much forgotten what the fuss was all about!

And as an aside, I've found that taking a break and embracing some other creative endeavors seems to bring your work to a whole new level when you come back. Greener grass maybe?

Hi Jerry friend!!!!

I was most humbled reading your post because I too have gone back occasionally and searched for old topics of mine where I was getting the "attaboy" comments.

This forum is very powerful,.... and what it has done for so many is staggering to say the least!

I share your feelings, and really admire you for taking the time to post your thoughts.

I miss you being here too!

Agree agree agree. One of the best forums on the web anywhere.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Oh how I truly wish something would re-inspire me to write music. I have upgraded Finale for the past 2 years and not written a single note. I also remember how precious this forum has been to me in the past, and I know that it will always be a place I can come and have my whole soul renewed and bathed in the warmth of the sincerity of its members and the awsome inspiration of the world class music composed and posted here. Some of the most beautiful music ever written in the history of music composing has been written and posted by NS members. It has been quite a long time since I have listened, but today I shall spend all my free time doing so. Perhaps, I may even be inspired to open up Finale and see if there is still something there for me.

Love and Miss you Jerry! I don't get to MySpace and Face Book often these days. My mother and I moved in March and at age 60 it really took it toll on me physically and emotionally. The new place seems hand picked by God Himself and truly loving it. I have been landscaping and creating a truly wonderful flower garden that I can spend countless hours in. Things are finally settling down and less about moving and unpacking boxes and more free time on the way.

Jerry, I hope in the past I have told you so, but if I did not, I have loved your music so much that I have a couple of your compositions on my desktop for quick access. Blessing to you and all who read this.
    Samantha Penigar

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Hey Everyone.

Thanks! I agree. This forum is very unique!

Thanks for your comments. I always love how positive and supportive you are. I have indeed gained a greater appreciation for film. And, if looked at technically, it, like most other art forms, is very similar to music composition in that you take various ideas and elements and organize them to match a certain vision you have.

One of the fun parts of this documentary business is shooting re-enactments. You have sets, costuming, lights, locations, actors, props, (dialog is usually replaced by body language and facial expressions), but then you have the camera movement, angles, and techniques. (then there is the editing!) It's quite a complicated thing to do correctly. That has been challenging for me, but I have a few friends with strong backgrounds in film and production, so I get a lot of helpful advice and even helping hands when needed.

And, as I say - I do get to write the scores for these documentaries, so I am not totally void of musical output these days, but, I used to write everyday, all the time.

I think that there can be a tendency to be overly critical of your own work, because when you are in the midst of writing, you can get totally in "tweak" mode and nit-pick. (Heck, Chopin used to struggle with a single measure for DAYS). That nit-picking often gets me out of the moment of inspiration and I lose interest. But.. on more than one occasion I have revisited old ideas and found them fresh again.
    It is great you have a wife to help you through that. My wife is pretty good about that too. And while she doesn't understand music much, and so doesn't understand the frustration I have with a composition at the moment, she does help support me emotionally and helps me gain perspective.
    Greener grass? Yes! I agree with that

Thanks for your comments, friend! I agree this forum is very powerful in its ability to promote, support, educate, troubleshoot, socialize, etc. It is so many different things all wrapped in a wonderful package! I feel very blessed having been a member of it. It's often thanks to people like you who have gone out of your way to help me that has REALLY made it special. And I think I dismissed the "ataboy" comments mostly because I don't want to get too prideful. Also I do that because there is still so much to learn, and many people do so much better at whatever it is I feel lacking at the moment, but there IS a happy medium there that I haven't found until now.

Glad you agree. I've been on a lot of forums lately (video production and some music) and it amazes me how petty and pretentious a lot of "artists" are. What I love about this place is there are so many people who are at totally different levels of education, accomplishment, and experience, but yet ALL are welcome and encouraged to contribute. We have some of the very best composers and arrangers here. Are they snobs and unwilling to help and share wisdom? NOPE not here! Other places, SHEESH! Yes!

Wow, thank you so much for that touching response. I'll bet your new flower garden will inspire you! Nature always does that for me! It means more than you know to realize my music is appreciated in such a way. Thank you! (Now read your signature and put it into good use! ).

Thanks again to all of you!!!

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Go Back to forum