• Register
  • Help

Topic: Omnisphere mixer channel

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere mixer channel

Hi all

I have a small problem but I can live with it.

I was doing some recording using the workstation Omnisphere, I loaded some nice patches in the mixer channel of omnisphere using 4 tracks in cubase up untill now things are going fine.

Then I loaded a stack from the multibrowser in channel 5 of omnisphere hoping that i would be able to use it in track 5 of cubase but then all my patches vanished and the multi defaulted to channel 1,2,3, of omnisphere disregarding all my nice patches that were asigned to 1,2,3,4, before.

Then the tempo in cubase went wild and out of time when using the ARP in omni. but i guess thats a small issue.

Ok so what am I doing wrong or what am I not doing, since the multibrowser apears to default to channels 1,2,3, I can asign patches to the other channels that are free and work with that.

I also know that you can change the patches in the multi stack that is asigned to 1,2,3,

can I asign more than one multi in the omnispheres mixer channel, and can I asign a multi to any combination of channels in omnisphere.

I havent realy got into the deep editing of omni but do lean alot on omnis mixer channels for my projects and am just getting into the multibrowser of omni.

I have not seen what I want to do on any of the teaching vids.

Omni is getting gooder and gooder LOL

Thanks for your help

keep creating

novaburst

Gigabyte EP43UD3L. Core2Duo3gighz6MBcatch.ram 6gighz DDR800hz.seagate1500TBHDD Soundcard:M-AUDIO Fasttrack Pro USB. OS windows764bit.Host Cubase5update. Wavelabstudio 6. Hypersonic with modules. Omnisphere. VST sound collection
    Hardware dual monitors. controlFreek 16 channel. Samson Cvalve. BasePodLine6. BEHRINGER 8channal mixer.NAD AMP. JBL speakers.Instruments: yamahaP80. yamahaSY35. fender strat. washburn acustic guitar, main intrument: six string TBR yamaha base guitar.
    Last edited by novaburst; 06-14-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Omnisphere mixer channel

I think that the easiest way to explain it is that a multi is a collection of patches in your mixer. even if you only load one sound in channel 1, that is still a multi.
    In your case what you have done is to use 3 channels of your own selection and, even though you didn't save it, it is still a multi.

Next you tried to load a multi into channels 5 to 8 (for example).
    Well, from my experience, you can't do this. In essence, you are trying to merge 2 multis and Omni doesn't do that.
    Do bear in mind that empty tracks are part of the multi too.

Even if one of the factory miltis used channels 5-8 your channels 1-4 would have been overwritten with empty tracks (empty is still a part of the multi).
    Best advice is to load the mutli first and then if you have 4 tracks spare, then load your bits.
    Alternatively, load a second instance of Omni for the multi.

quote"can I asign more than one multi in the omnispheres mixer channel, and can I asign a multi to any combination of channels in omnisphere."

I'd say I've just answered part one of your question.
    Part 2 of your question - well yes - you can have a sound in channel 1 and another one in channel 8 - it's still a multi.

WOuld it help to visualise a hardware mixer with up to 8 synths plugged in the back? If you haven't got 8 synths you can plug just 2 or 3 in whatever channels you want to.

I hope that answers some of your question and if I'm wrong you make take me outside, tie me to a post and shoot me

BTW if this helps - you can also assign each track of your multi to different outputs A-H. Output A is alos the return for all aux effects so I tend to use multis with no more than 7 sounds/patches and leave output A free for mixing purposes.
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Hi Nova,

The first concept to get clear about is that the mixer holds 8 patches.

The second concept is that you can choose the patches individually from the patch browser to make your own multi or you can choose a multi which is simply a pre-constructed set of x number of patches that are pre-assigned to channels.

As you said, if a multi only occupies 3 channels in the Omni mixer then you have 5 more that you can load with individual patches. You are correct that if you have channels already filled with patches and you load a multi it will replace those channels.

You 'can' output all 8 patches to one channel or mix and match as you said. Let's say you want an entire multi to play on one track on channel 1. You've that track in Cubase to channel 1. In the Omni mixer, you can change the channels on the left side of each track. So instead of channel 1, channel 2, channel 3, etc., you can change them all to channel 1. Now all the tracks will play and record as a multi to one channel and one track.

I mix and match different Omni channels and also set up new instances of Omni in different ways depending on what I want at the moment.

BTW if this helps - you can also assign each track of your multi to different outputs A-H. Output A is alos the return for all aux effects so I tend to use multis with no more than 7 sounds/patches and leave output A free for mixing purposes.[/QUOTE]

Thanks NeilB

Very helpfull advice, and thanks for your time.

keep creating

novaburst

Gigabyte EP43UD3L. Core2Duo3gighz6MBcatch.ram 6gighz DDR800hz.seagate1500TBHDD Soundcard:M-AUDIO Fasttrack Pro USB. OS windows764bit.Host Cubase5update. Wavelabstudio 6. Hypersonic with modules. Omnisphere. VST sound collection
    Hardware dual monitors. controlFreek 16 channel. Samson Cvalve. BasePodLine6. BEHRINGER 8channal mixer.NAD AMP. JBL speakers.Instruments: yamahaP80. yamahaSY35. fender strat. washburn acustic guitar, main intrument: six string TBR yamaha base guitar.

You 'can' output all 8 patches to one channel or mix and match as you said. Let's say you want an entire multi to play on one track on channel 1. You've that track in Cubase to channel 1. In the Omni mixer, you can change the channels on the left side of each track. So instead of channel 1, channel 2, channel 3, etc., you can change them all to channel 1. Now all the tracks will play and record as a multi to one channel and one track.

I mix and match different Omni channels and also set up new instances of Omni in different ways depending on what I want at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dreamaiden for your tips and your time

Omni is a great synth/workstation, its nice to know so many are skillfull users.

Keep creating

novaburst

Hardware:dual monitors. controlFreek 16 channel. Samson Cvalve. BasePodLine6. BEHRINGER 8channal mixer.NAD AMP. JBL speakers.Instruments: yamahaP80. yamahaSY35. fender strat. washburn acustic guitar, main intrument: six string TBR yamaha base guitar.

A big thank you from me too to Dreamaiden.
    I'd never tried the channel numbering, only the A-H outputs.
    Wow - what a lot of scope for mixing/recording/adding Cubase FX (if reqd) and so on.
    It's a bit like having mixer group channels.

You're a star!
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

hehe, I'm glad that went down well. It was born out of 'quick and easy.' You can also mix and match channels.

Thanks to Nova for asking the question.

Go Back to forum