• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mahler, Mahler, and Mahler

Mahler, Mahler, and Mahler

In my pursuit to create a rendition of the complete First Symphony by Gustav Mahler, for commemorating his 150th birthday which will be celebrated on 7.July 2010, I have now completed the first movement:

Furthermore, the 2nd movement of which earlier only the first half had been recorded, has been completed:

The complete project is available here:

And, as an encore, I have revised my earlier recording of the Adagietto (4th movement of Symphony No.5), which I transcribed now for the GPO4 samples instead of my earlier MU-80 synthesizer:

Re: Mahler, Mahler, and Mahler

! ! ! ! ! !
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Great work. I see you've got it available from the Wikipedia page for Mahler 1. Good move. There are of course a few details I would have done differently (e.g. more noticeable slow-down in the final bars) I reckon there are not two Mahlerians who would agree on all aspects a performance) but you've really done impressive work, and it has the same feel as the previous movement. I especially like the trio. Very good.

Thanks, Theo, for your kind comments.

Yes, the interpretation of the music into an actual performance is a very individual thing... and that is the nice thing about classical music, that everybody would have their own personal style of playing/ performing / interpreting. I tried mostly to stick to the score notes, although there are some unlikely bpm instructions which I decided to disregard. I am not very firm on my tempo choices, and I may revise them - all my recordings are in "rehearsal mode", which I defined to be a mode where I have not yet found the final performance myself yet.

But one characteristic is probably typical for me, and for that whole way of "engineering" a rendition with samples: I do not use many continuous tempo variations, but rather stick with a fixed tempo for longer segments, unless specifically indicated in the score that a change should be made. I am not quite satisfied with the tempo flow, but for now I need to take a break from these recordings - and start the last one: the 4th movement. 40 pages, 731 bars... I have never done anything that long before...

If I receive the Blumine score, I will add that one as well... but this will be approached after the 4th movement is done.

One more comment, regarding tempo:
    in both the first and the 2nd movement of this symphony, the tempo is actually supposed to accelerate during the end - no slowing down at all indicated in the score. But I might take the first movement at bit slower at the end - it sounded slightly better when the notes were a bit longer (although there are most notes to be played in staccato).

Yes, Wikipedia is a great outlet, much under-used! And unless somebody posts better versions (maybe "real" orchestras), I am happy to leave my recordings there.

Quite an extensive project and so very well done. I love Mahler, although his
    works are a bit longer than most, so this was a great listening experience.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thanks, Jack!

yes, these Mahler movements are long... and the longest is now the 4th movement which I have started to work on yesterday. 76 pages, 731 bars. I hope I can complete it by 7.July.

Canada,winter Mexico

Dear Reinhold:
    I just got to hear your Mahlers,so late that you may not even see this blurb.
    I can not help to admire what you have done. I am also on my knees when it comes to Mahler, the incredible genius.
    As you are doing this, I like to think that it represents the way you feel about the music. Using GPO is of course not the best tool, but it makes, in your hand, a very believable rendition. I certainly enjoyed it (Uhrlich included) more, far more than I am hearing the Adagionette played by a solo cellist, from the first bar to the end, which would make Mahler spin in his grave I am sure.
    Some comments that you should keep your hands off Mahler is wrong, please keep doing what you are doing for your own and for our pleasure.

Dear Ted,

thank you very much for your very encouraging post!

There is no need to worry that I might stop working on Mahler renditions - except due to unforeseen circumstances. My plan is to create renditions of all of his symphonies, and then once I am done, rework them again with all the "lessons learned".

I am currently working on the last movement of the 9th symphony, which I find very difficult from a musical perspective.

You are welcome to visit my Facebook page, where I am usually posting notes about updates, or share some interesting information:

A challenge in creating convincing Mahler renditions with something like the GPO are not so much the orchestra samples - they just need to be treated properly, then they sound allright - but the overall feel, with constant slight tempo changes (rubato). Also the special effects (glissando, portamento) are a problem, because they are very hard to make sound realistically. Since I personally do not really care for these, even when real orchestras are playing them (in my view this effect is too much overused and emphasised), I often just ignore it and replace it by a more extended legato with overlapping notes. Also, I do not apply additional effects such as changing the vibrato amount. In this approach, I am quite close to the much controversial conductor Roger Norrington, as could be heard at the BBC Proms a few weeks ago:

Thank you again for your kind post!

Reinhold - Again you astound me with your incredible work with Mahler. He wrote some of the most compelling music ever, and your virtual orchestra renditions sound absolutely fantastic.

Wonderful to have the web page available with all the links.

Amazing work - THANK YOU for posting it here.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast