• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Pop Music Strings/Orchestra?

Share/Bookmark

Pop Music Strings/Orchestra?

Do you guys know what they use in pop songs? Would it also be suitable for classical music?

I recently got cubase and already have finale so now all I need are some pro sounds

Not scared of having to separately reverb/EQ things.

Thanks for your help

Re: Pop Music Strings/Orchestra?

Quote Originally Posted by ltno View Post
    Do you guys know what they use in pop songs? Would it also be suitable for classical music?

I recently got cubase and already have finale so now all I need are some pro sounds

Not scared of having to separately reverb/EQ things.

Thanks for your help
    Some days ago i heard about "Kontakt session strings". The demos on their site are nice, and are intended for pop/disco music, i believe.
    Marcelo Colina

hmm that sounds pretty good and looks affordable too. I'm listening to their demos, and it sounds like much more than 4 violins or 2 celli.. did they double them you think?

how does it compare to the kontakt 4 collection?

Session Strings is a really great little package for the money, and it's very easy to use. It does not have all the articulations etc. of higher priced packages of course, but it fills in the 'string niche' for many very well, and is more than adequate for many applications. It also 'plays well' with other string applications. At that price, you can't lose, and I think you'll be very surprised at the quality. Suitable for classical music as well? Well it does have limits of course, and if you were trying to get a sound as close as possible to the real thing...a classical music string section, you might be disappointed. Session Strings are not equivalent to a full string section in an orchestra either....that's not the purpose behind the creation of the program. On the other hand, it comes a lot closer than most synth patches. Anyway, for $119 US, IMHO, it's a winner. And if you're looking for more than it offers, well then there's EW's "Hollywood Strings" for $1700US you can consider For anyone on a budget, Session Strings is amazing value for the money and, IMHO, is one of the better packages to come out via NI in quite awhile. HTH..........frank
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

playz123 how do you like the Vienna instruments in Kontakt 4?

how does it compare with eastwest orchestra? is it possible to get EW to sound dry?

Quote Originally Posted by ltno View Post
    playz123 how do you like the Vienna instruments in Kontakt 4?

how does it compare with eastwest orchestra? is it possible to get EW to sound dry?
    It seems I'm one of the few around here who does not own any Vienna Instruments, but I'm sure others can provide information. I have used them and worked with them though, and they are quite good.

In EWQLSO strings, you can disable the release trails in some of the patches, but because the samples were recorded in a hall, in most instances you can't start with completely dry samples. EWQLSO has been around awhile now as well, and certainly Hollywood Strings has been a major leap forward. LA Scoring Strings is another excellent product. However, you originally asked about Session Strings. It's much less expensive, and provides excellent value and sound quality, while these other libraries cost considerably more. Hopefully you listened to all the SS demo songs, including "Flight of the Blackbirds", to get a good idea of what that program can do. However, no matter which library you choose, IMO you basically get what you pay for these days.
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Thumbs up Re: Pop Music Strings/Orchestra?

Session Strings is very good value for the money. I don't own LASS (yet), but it seems like a divisi of LASS (with so far no detectable intonation problems). Someone good with scripts could improve Session Strings to do more with key switches and switching between modes. It is a good demo of Kontakt 4 as well, and SS is better than anything that comes with the included Kontakt library IMHO.

(Hey and NS Dudes: Nice board upgrade! )
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Hi friends, another question before I buy.. can you guys help me compare Kontakt 4 versus VSL SE?

Price is comparable, but it seems like just going with VSL I get more of the orchestra? (but no choir and other stuff)

Is there any reason I would prefer Kontakt 4 if I don't really care about the synths?

Difficult for anyone to answer that because you haven't really explained what you are hoping to do, both now and in the future, and what your budget is. Kontakt would be a welcome addition to anyone's arsenal because it runs so many other libraries as well as its own. But are its instruments equal to a dedicated classical library? Well, no, not really. On the other hand, many of the libraries you see mentioned at this site are Kontakt based. If you are looking to create classical scores only, then focusing on just one other (expensive) library might work, but again it all depends on your needs now and in the future. One thing is probable...if you continue to expand your horizons, at one point more than likely you will need either Kontakt or the Kontakt player.

In my opinion, VSL SE is a far better purchase of SAMPLES than the Kontakt 4 sample set. I also adore the VSL sample engine- it just works, all the time. K4 is great if you want to manipulate your sounds beyond adding eq and reverb, or create your own. (Or if you want to purchase some of the many libraries released only in this format.) But for a basic orchestral sample set? I want nothing more from a low cost set than SE provides. That said- my favorite thing (after the woodwinds, which are incredible) are the chamber strings that can be found in the extended edition. Really fun to use.

BTW- I too just bought Session Strings. Like it alot.

Mark

Go Back to forum