• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: New Forum Layout

New Forum Layout

Well, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet! With such a radically different forum view, I'm curious to know what you guys think (unless the forum only looks different to me, then...I'm quite afraid)

Personally, I feel it certainly looks more suave, but any change is going to take time to get used to. I haven't had much chance to really take a look at the details, but on the surface, it certainly appears refreshing and much brighter than the grayish brown of the previous look. Though, I can certainly see how this could be harder on the eyes after long periods of reading.

Anyways, how do you guys like/dislike it?!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: New Forum Layout

Like it alot!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

I guess I'm in the minority... either that or getting old and "don't like change"...

I don't really care for the new forum format.

I don't like it. I think it's hard to tell the difference between threads like what's been read and what hasn't. I don't understand the red and blue scheme on types of threads. Oh well...

steve winkler

Unhappy Re: New Forum Layout

I'm with swinkler on this! I don't like it either. What are pink envelopes and blue envelopes next to the topics? Why aren't the sticky post separated with some kind of boundary? Who sets up this format? Is this controlled by northern sounds? I thought the gold and black was a solid pro look.

Guess my age is showing. Sorry!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

I think humans in general don't like change, but I think a fresh look is something that we
    will all like after we get used to it.

I appreciate the folks at Northern Sounds for making these changes,
    and I trust they won't feel that their efforts were in vain.

I find the initial screen that lists all the threads harder to read. There is not enough contrast to the colors or icons used and the spacing tends to make them all run together. The detail of the actual posts and the screen where you compose messages are just the opposite: cleaner, neater, and easier to read.

Allegro Data Solutions

I don't like bright backgrounds.
    It's instant eyestrain.

It has nothing to do with liking or disliking change.

Just north of Sydney

I had a really bad time. I had a major computer breakdown, just when I was in the middle of extensive, important work.

Finally, I thought that I had fixed the problem and went straight to the Garritan forum for relaxation.

Oh dear, it still did not look right at all. A virus? A problem with the video card? It finally sank in. They have changed my favourite and very much loved forum. I am still in shock.

Whatever I say, they will not listen to me. I will have to get used to it and I am determined to get used to it.

Having “Views” displayed is good. The layout is not so different from the earlier forum style. The choices of colours and accentuations are poor.

This is a forum for artistic people, who like to be pleased visually.

Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

It looks slicker ... but it doesn't seem to be as intuitive to use as the old style layout.

Also, we seem to have lost some useful functionality - on the old style forum I could quickly find all the "recent" threads going back sometimes 2 or 3 weeks regardless of which actual forum they were raised in.

But if I click on the "Today's Active Posts" at this point in time it tells me there are none ... perhaps because no one has woken up in the US yet ... and if I clikc another link (not availbel directly, it seems) I can search for threads active in the last 24 hours only.

The old style advanced search seemed far more comprehensive ... there were even options to search for threads with no responses, which I could see would be great for moderators trying to ensure that no questions were left unanswered.

Maybe I'll get used to it with time ...

Go Back to forum