• Register
  • Help

Topic: Residual Aria Reverb

Share/Bookmark

Residual Aria Reverb

In scores of pieces that I have worked on with Aria, this is the first time this has happened. I am doing a large series on projects that are very similar in their setup. I therefore use a Sonar Template to begin work on a new project in this series. So I am baffled as to what is happening.

I have been using Sonar's Perfect Space for my Reverb. I have converted a lot of the projects in this series from Lexicon to Perfect Space, so I am aware of the need to turn OFF the Ambiance reverb in Aria. If I don't do this, it becomes readily apparent upon Playback. Also, I have double-checked to see that Ambiance is, indeed, Off for this problem project and all of the Send dials are at zero..

In ALL of the projects in this series, the Sonar Send Level for the Reverb Bus is -22. For this current project, -22 is far too much reverb. But I can turn it down to (minus infinity) or just above (-80) and there is still too much reverb. If I turn OFF the Send, there is still some (too much) reverb. I have no idea where this can be coming from, but it would seem to me that it is some latent signal from Aria, since the Sonar reverb is OFF.

Any ideas?
    Thanx for your help.

Frank
    Frank Newman - Houston, Texas, USA, Earth, Milky Way (for our 'extended' viewership)
    Vista Ult SP2, i7 chipset, 12Gb, 500Gb (int) + 1 & 1.5Tb ext., E-MU 1820, Sonar 8.5PE, VSampler, CME UF5, AcousModules (for 3D playback), GPO/JBB/CMB

Re: Residual Aria Reverb

Hi Frank,

Are you in the same physical location that you usually make music in, or listening through headphones? Also, on past projects have you used the particular sample voices that you are using now? If so, than this is very funny indeed.

I'm trying to think of what ellse you can check, aside from routing levels (which is sounds like you have already scoured through). Maybe double check for multiple instances of plugins, and any other plugins that may be adding ambientish effects (such as delay or chorus). It's possible that there is some internal routing that leads to sounds being doubled, which can give some sort of cheap ambient impression if there is sufficient delay. Do you have a microphone hooked up? If so, check that the input monitoring for that channel is off.

If you turn the ambience in aria on and off in real time, do you hear a difference in sound? Try with a big room setting to make it obvious.

Here is another thing to possibly try depending on your routing: mute the playback output channels of the ARIA player (mute the track or any playback bus you are routing it to), but unmute all of your sends (if your sends still send when your output is muted). Turn off the Sonar reverb, and play back. If you hear any residual sound, then chances are a send is sending to some additional plugin.

Other than that, I would mute everything and then turn things on one at a time in attempt to troubleshoot. Make sure that no channels are unintentionally inverted in phase, and that left is panned to left, and right to right for any stereo recorded sounds (comb filtering effects can contribute to an odd sort of underwatery ambience).

Other than that, I don't know. It's possible that something could be wacky with the ARIA plugin. It's also possible that the samples you are using are wetter than usual, if they are different samples. Maybe try playing them through the standalone player as a test, or try playing one voice at a time (if you are using many more voices than you typically use, that could be contributing to this impression).

Has anyone else had problems like this?
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." – Henry Thoreau

Re: Residual Aria Reverb

Hi, Tim -
    Wow, excellent response!!!
    Playback is both through my headphones and big stereo depending on noise conditions at home (where I do my work). I hear no difference in the reverb depending upon sound reproducer.

I am working from MIDI files. (My very last step is to create an audio file when everything is how I want it). Things are pretty simple - a violin and cello track and the convolution reverb (which I am using for practically everything now - the same IR for everything, too). Outside of the Garritan cc's, (and velocity, of course), I don't use any other cc's or sonic devices. And I have not seen any evidence of such while looking around for the source of the problem. So no delay or chorus, etc.

I have a mic plugged into my in/out box but that has been plugged in for a year or so.

Turning Ambiance ON and OFF during Playback has no effect, which I find odd since it has had a noticeable effect before.

I tried the Muting ideas you suggested. The only thing to report (that may not be as expected) is that when I turned the Send button (from Aria to Reverb bus) OFF, there is no change. But with the Send ON, when I turn OFF the Reverb (In Sonar FX bin, click on the lighted box to make it go dark), I get 100% dry. Also, as mentioned previously, if I turn the Send Level all the way down (even to minus infinity), I still have an unacceptably wet reverb. If I turn the Send Level up, the wetness increases, but not at the usual rate. It is much less of an increase than usual.

I have taken a similar, old (last couple of months) project, Deleted the track events, then placed the tracks from the problem project in the old project. Everything works as expected.

I have moved on and done a couple of new pieces (using an old project and placing the new MIDI tracks into it). I have had no problems with the new pieces.

Thanx for you input, Tim.

Frank
    Frank Newman - Houston, Texas, USA, Earth, Milky Way (for our 'extended' viewership)
    Vista Ult SP2, i7 chipset, 12Gb, 500Gb (int) + 1 & 1.5Tb ext., E-MU 1820, Sonar 8.5PE, VSampler, CME UF5, AcousModules (for 3D playback), GPO/JBB/CMB

Go Back to forum