• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: New String Demos

Share/Bookmark

New String Demos

Since many were requesting new Orchestral Strings demos, we decided to come up with a few more mp3s. These mp3 are rough and quick sketches, but will give you an idea of some of the new features of the string library. We wish we had time to make more music with this library. When the library is released we\'ll concentrate our efforts in producing some spectacular string demos.

[links deleted]

Gary

[This message has been edited by Garritan (edited 07-26-2001).]

Re: New String Demos

thanx gary for the new mp3 section.

The demos sound great Gary! Can\'t wait to get the library.

I\'m probably going to get seriously flamed for writing this, but there really isn\'t anything I\'ve yet heard so far that has bowled me over at all on the main site. I don\'t doubt Gary\'s gifts as an artist (I adore the harp as much as anyone) but I really think some seriously good MP3s by some decent composers are necessary in order to show the library in its best light. Although, I have of course noted that Gary has said the MP3s have been quickly put together.

So far, the strings do sound rather synthetic and not as rich or warm to my ears as the vitous library. This could of course be due to the mp3 recording but I\'d really love to hear how passionate the strings could sound with the right programming.

I apologise if this all seems negative but I do really admire the fact that someone has bothered to get up and try and knock the older string libraries into the lower league. I just hope they live up to the expectations.

I thought the Canon and Schehrezade demos sounded real nice. I would like to hear more pizzicato though .
    I would hardly call the cellos synthetic sounding.

Oh the pizzicatos... mmmmmmmmmmmm... if I ever were in love with samples it must be the celli pizzicatos

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJ:
    I\'m probably going to get seriously flamed for writing this, but there really isn\'t anything I\'ve yet heard so far that has bowled me over at all on the main site.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I must agree, and this is in no way meant to flame or insult the hard efforts of those involved in the production of this library.

From note one, it sounded grainy to me and very harsh and synthetic. I would encourage Gary to wait until the patches have been finalized before posting others, because if this is truly representative, then it is not what I had hoped.

Again, this is honest criticism. Sometimes one can get lost in a project this complex and too close to it. I approached listening to the mp3s with great anticipation and objectivity. I wanted them to be what BETA testers up here had claimed, but at least in these examples, I\'m sure not hearing it. Fingers crossed for the final release.

The grainy sound is caused by the MP3 files. This library does have good high end content which sometimes may sound bright if you\'ve been using other libraries for awhile. The library includes a warmth control that allows you to dial in the amount of high frequency content. This helps the strings sit in the mix better depending on the style of music you are working on. This is just one of the many innovative features of this library!

This is the first library that has a true legato sound. Listen to the attacks on the cello carefully and you will notice that the samples don\'t start from the beginning each time. This may sound synthetic at first if you\'ve been working with the other libraries. The Expressive Legato Cello sound is the most realistic Cello sound I have ever heard. The MaestroTools brings it to life. Sounds like the cello section is in my studio!

I have done A-B comparison with both Vitous, Kirk Hunter and AO strings in various styles of playing and this library beats both libraries. This is the first library that I can play all styles from slow to fast without mixing other libraries in.

\"This is the first library that has a true legato sound. Listen to the attacks on the cello carefully and you will notice that the samples don\'t start from the beginning each time. This may sound synthetic at first if you\'ve been working with the other libraries\"

The attacks may be subtly different but that doesn\'t equal true legato, and I speak as a former viola player with the London Mozart Players. The effect sounds as forced as any other group of string samples I\'ve heard. The point I\'ve tried to make is that so far, perhaps because of the poor quality of the mp3s, the library seems pretty unrealistic. I\'m pleading for some really good demos that will convince my ears that it is worth spending money on.

The \"warmth\" effect sounds very interesting and should be great for those without decent EQ etc. Nice idea.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Haydn:
    [B]The grainy sound is caused by the MP3 files. \"

With all due respect, it isn\'t because we\'re listening to mp3s. James Newton Howard\'s demo is an mp3 too

\" The library includes a warmth control that allows you to dial in the amount of high frequency content. This helps the strings sit in the mix better depending on the style of music you are working on. This is just one of the many innovative features of this library! \"

The warmth control is a good idea.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast