Is my PC at fault?

Hello all.

My system:

XP Home SP3
    Core 2 Duo 6300
    Asus P5B mobo
    4gb Ram (2.9 recognised)
    2496 PCI audio

I've just upgraded from Cubase SX3 to Cubase 5 (fully patched) and it seems even more of a system hog. I'm running a lot of audio tracks with FX inserted and sent. I also use Omnisphere, Trilion and EZDrummer as VSTi's. So, I do expect it to struggle. And it does. I get pops and crackles when all is maxed out and no VSTi's are frozen. Though setting the latency to 512 instead of 256 does improve it to a usable quality.

My question really is how much better will the system run if I upgrade the CPU to say the Intel i7 930, and upgrade my motherboard.

I know the best option would be to go the whole way and upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit and take advantage of more RAM. But the cost, and problems associated with 64bit compatibility is putting me off. Not to mention the serious issues reported with M-Audio drivers for the Delta series audio cards and 64bit.

So, yeah, how much of my problems are CPU related as opposed to RAM? Would I see a noticeable improvement if I upgrade? Most of the pop's and crackles come when Omnisphere is working hard, so I assume it's the CPU struggling here?

Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks

Re: Is my PC at fault?

Your system is bound to struggle running all those.
    Simple rule: more processing power - more ram - fewer problems (providing it's all set up correctly)
    I have similar software (C5 plus spectrasonics etc) and I recently upgraded from my E6600 core 2 for the same reasons.
    i7 920 (overclocked) and 12GB ram and windows 7 runs superbly here and rarely do I need increase latency from 128. Not sure where the reports of serious issues with the Delta series 64 bit drivers is from. I run 64 bit Delta 66 with no issues at all.

You can't expect to pull a 6 berth caravan with a mini metro!

K

64 bit with more RAM will definitely make the biggest difference in your case.

Faster processors of course will make a difference too, but you are running out of RAM and there's no help by just sticking with a 32-bit system for that. Lots of pros are using 64-bit Windows systems now with no problems.

For now, make sure you are using all the techniques shown in the "Memory Management" video tutorial...these can make a big difference right away:

http://support.spectrasonics.net/ins...ial-videos.php

You must be thinking of the problems that used to be associated with 64bit compatibility. If Asus has drivers, you should be good to go?

What are the problems reported with Delta cards? No problem with them for me.

Thanks everyone, that's very reassuring. The reports I was referring to are here at the M-Audio forum. I've read other issues elsewhere. This thread is a little specific to the 2496 that I have, but I assume they are the same drivers as for other Delta series cards?

Kevin, can you tell me what Windows 7 version you use, and what motherboard and memory modules/configuration you use? If I do make the leap, I need to ensure compatibility

But thanks a lot all of you. I know I need to make the jump, and many people have success with 64 bit, and it is the future. But it just takes a few horror stories to put me off!

My hardware specs are in my signature. Can't remember what ram I put in now, but if you need to know, I'll take a look. My motherboard isn't the cheapest but it's totally bombproof.
    Delta 66 driver is identical to 2496.
    Windows 7 64bit Home edition.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wright View Post
    My hardware specs are in my signature. Can't remember what ram I put in now, but if you need to know, I'll take a look.
    K
    Sorry, I missed your sig. I see now. It would be good to know your RAM as your system seems very stable. But I can hardly ask you to open your chasis just for me! However, if your feel a need to go in there sometime....

Thanks mate.

I ran out of ram under Windows XP. Go 64bit driver shopping for all your hardware the Vista 64bit drivers should work on Windows 7 64bit. Once you have all the drivers you will know it's ok to install windows 7 64bit. Some posts about hardware and driver issues are old and might be fixed now.

Intel i7 are superb they can run anything at 2.66 Ghz and can be overclocked to 3.5 Ghz with plenty of saftey margin if you buy a good CPU cooler. The i7 motherboards can read three banks of ram at the same time. Make sure your hard drive is the fastest you can buy too an old slow hard drive won't stream the samples fast enough.

On my rig I can run Ableton Live 8 2x Omnisphere 2x trillian and 1x Core player 1x Alicias Key's at the same time around 10 sampled patches running at the same time.
    96khz at 4ms latency 9Ms overall.

Windows 7 64bit
    CPU - Core i7 920 3.5Ghz overclocked with a Coolermaster V8
    RAM - 3x 2GB Corsair Dominator
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    Sound card - Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Graphics - Nvidia 260 Black edition
    PSU - Corsair 750watt

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
    On my rig I can run Ableton Live 8 2x Omnisphere 2x trillian and 1x Core player 1x Alicias Key's at the same time around 10 sampled patches running at the same time.

Windows 7 64bit
    CPU - Core i7 920 3.5Ghz overclocked with a Coolermaster V8
    RAM - 3x 2GB Corsair Dominator
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    Sound card - Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Graphics - Nvidia 260 Black edition
    PSU - Corsair 750watt
    Thanks for the encouragement. And I see you have a similar Gigabyte board as Kevin. I've been looking round, and Overclockers do some good bundles (with the same boards), so you are obviously choosing well. At least with that, I get overclocked units that are matched with correct RAM.

Go Back to forum