• Register
  • Help

Topic: In search of good vst pads

Share/Bookmark

In search of good vst pads

Hello,

I would like to find a vst that has a variety of good pad sound presets. I purchased Reaktor 5 a while back when it was on blowout for this purpose, but unfortunately all the presets for "pad" sounds are extremely distracting and are not simple, consistent, subtle textures. I want sounds that could be tastefully layered under a piano for instance.

I am not good at programming synth vsts, and I don't want to have to learn to - I'd just like something that has good presets. On any stage piano I've ever owned, the "pad" section contained several subtle, consistent pad textures. I was really surprised that pretty much all of Reaktor's "pad" presets sounded like they belonged in a sci-fi movie or in a techno song.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Eric

Re: In search of good vst pads

thats an easy answer-get Omnisphere.
    Its full of greatsounding pads. from warm to shimmering and from subtle to animated.
    There is an abundance of superb sounding multisamples from classic synth like Oberheim, Jupiter 8 and Juno 60 and the like that you can layer til the cows come home.
    The perfect magic carpet ride!

i'm not sure what presets you're referring to with reaktor, since it's more of a shell for many different synths (each with their own presets). have you dug through the user library on the NI website yet? you can even search 'pads' and read descriptions to select instruments that might be up your alley. reaktor is almost limitless, so i'd bet there's something that has what you need.

Spectrasonics Omnisphere always has a pad im thinking of theirs lots of very gentel pads and you can mess with the patches anyway you want or layer them till you get what your after or mess with the velocity curve so they stay in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by EricH View Post
    Hello,

I would like to find a vst that has a variety of good pad sound presets. I purchased Reaktor 5 a while back when it was on blowout for this purpose, but unfortunately all the presets for "pad" sounds are extremely distracting and are not simple, consistent, subtle textures. I want sounds that could be tastefully layered under a piano for instance.

I am not good at programming synth vsts, and I don't want to have to learn to - I'd just like something that has good presets. On any stage piano I've ever owned, the "pad" section contained several subtle, consistent pad textures. I was really surprised that pretty much all of Reaktor's "pad" presets sounded like they belonged in a sci-fi movie or in a techno song.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Eric

Hi EricH

You can use EQs and effects, they can change the shape and presentation of your pads/voices, making them sound not so sharp or distracting, they can also give pads depth and warmth you dont need to know much about programming to use EQs or effects.

Keep creating

novaburst

Gigabyte EP43UD3L. Core2Duo3gighz6MBcatch.ram 6gighz DDR800hz.seagate1500TBHDD Soundcard:M-AUDIO Fasttrack Pro USB. OS windows764bit.Host Cubase5update. Wavelabstudio 6. Hypersonic with modules. Omnisphere. VST sound collection
    Hardware:dual monitors. controlFreek 16 channel. Samson Cvalve. BasePodLine6. BEHRINGER 8channal mixer.NAD AMP. JBL speakers.Instruments: yamahaP80. yamahaSY35. fender strat. washburn acustic guitar, main intrument: six string TBR yamaha base guitar.

One word: "Omnisphere"
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

+1

Definitely Omnisphere
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by NeilB View Post
    +1

Definitely Omnisphere
    +1 again for Omni.

I am guessing you knew you would get that recommendation posting here eh?

Heh, actually I didn't realize this forum was so pro Omnisphere. Is Northern Sounds affiliated with Omnisphere in any way, or is the product just that good?

I've heard a lot of good things about Omnisphere in the past. It's kinda pricey compared to my $99 Reaktor 5. I'm beginning to understand that Reaktor is more of a platform than it is a synthesizer. Does anyone have any good Reaktor instruments that have usable pads they could point me to? To me, a "usable" pad is consistent and doesn't have big sweeps, rhythms, or weird harmonies built in.

As for Omnisphere, sounds like that's the one to get. When the revenue stream picks up a bit for me, I'll most likely pick it up based on all the good recommendations I am getting for it!

Thanks!

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricH View Post
    Heh, actually I didn't realize this forum was so pro Omnisphere. Is Northern Sounds affiliated with Omnisphere in any way, or is the product just that good?

I've heard a lot of good things about Omnisphere in the past. It's kinda pricey compared to my $99 Reaktor 5. I'm beginning to understand that Reaktor is more of a platform than it is a synthesizer. Does anyone have any good Reaktor instruments that have usable pads they could point me to? To me, a "usable" pad is consistent and doesn't have big sweeps, rhythms, or weird harmonies built in.

As for Omnisphere, sounds like that's the one to get. When the revenue stream picks up a bit for me, I'll most likely pick it up based on all the good recommendations I am getting for it!

Thanks!

-Eric
    I haven't got much into Reaktor. The rest of Komplete got my attention (well, that was until I got Omnisphere and Trilian). I do recall NI having a large user collection at their site. Have you gone through the different Reaktor ensembles that are there- you might find something usefull.

Go Back to forum