• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: midi transpose in Aria player

Share/Bookmark

midi transpose in Aria player

I had posted a thread about this awhile ago, and have mostly found a workaround, but I want to know who to contact about feature requests for the Aria player.

The basic issue is that the K2 version of GPO had a midi transpose feature built into the player. I use this for octave transposing instruments in concert pitch scores. For example, basses or piccolo, I don't want to see any difference in display between concert and transposed score. But I want it to play back correct. With Aria, the workaround at the moment is to use the 8vb bass clef and use the clef designer to get rid of the little 8. But this still effects copying and pasting to cellos. One more thing to have to worry about under a time crunch.

This should be easy enough to program into the player. Who is the best person to contact?

Jeremy Levy
    Glendale, CA

Re: midi transpose in Aria player

I don't know what program you're using, but mine (Logic Express) has transposing clefs. They can be recognized by an 8 (or 15) above or below the clef, and they play the notes 1 (or two) octaves higher or lower than notated. I can also change that in the setting for the staff. Check the manuals of your sequencer/notation program for such features. Perhaps you already have it!
    Theo

Sorry, forgot to say this was for Finale. I host the Aria player in Plogue Bidule. Like I said in the original post, I'm already using the bass clef 8vb for this purpose. It is not completely ideal because when you copy and paste material between the basses and cellos, obviously there will be an octave difference. One more thing to deal with.

Point being, this worked fine with K2 player and midi transpose. I didn't have to mess around with special clefs. I just want the same functionality in the Aria player.

And once again, where does one put in feature requests for the Aria player?

Did you try the Channel Filter and Note Transposer in Bidule?
    Pascal Maheux, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montréal. http://www.plogue.com

Can you do that if the one channel you want to tweak is part of a multi? I don't want to use a separate bidule input for just the one patch.

And also, I've tried tweaking the actual .sfz file with transpose settings. This only pitch shifts the samples, not shifting the entire keyboard layout like I need.

Quote Originally Posted by pascalM View Post
    Did you try the Channel Filter and Note Transposer in Bidule?

Quote Originally Posted by jlevymusic View Post
    Can you do that if the one channel you want to tweak is part of a multi? I don't want to use a separate bidule input for just the one patch.
    Yes
    Code:
     |
     |
    Channel Filter
     |   |
     |  Note Tranposer
     |   |
     |  /
     | /
     |/
     |
    ARIA Player

Here is a screen grab of my setup. I'm not quite figuring out how to do this. My basses are on channel 13, 14, and 15 of Bidule 4. I want to put a -12 midi transposition to all 3 of those channels.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Can anyone from Plogue help show me how to do this?

Hi, Jeremy!

Unless I am missing something sophisticated, you CAN do this in Finale.

In each of your bass staves, create a non-printing (miscellaneous) expression.
    Define it for playback using "transposition" and set it to a value of -12.
    Place this expression at the beginning of each bass track. Since it is non-printing, it won't muck up your score.
    The notation will be undisturbed and the playback will be an octave lower.
    Then you can paste in those cello parts into bass staves and get 'em played back an octave lower.
    I just tried it in 2011 on a trombone staff & it played back an octave lower without disturbing the notation.
    Unless I'm mistaken, that's what you want, yes?
    I assume you know how to create a misc. expression, yes?

Regards,
    Jim W.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

MIDI > Filters > Channel Filter
    MIDI > Transposers > Note Transposer

First make these connections:
    Code:
    Bidule 4
     |
     |
    Channel Filter
     |   |
     |  Note Transposer
     |  /
     | /
     |/
     |
    ARIA Strings
    (The left output of Channel Filter and the output of Note Trasnposer are both connected to the ARIA Strings input.)

Double click on Channel Filter and uncheck Channel 13, 14 and 15.
    (Channels 13, 14 and 15 will now output from the second connector(to the Note Transposer)
    Double click on Note Transposer and set the first slider to -12

Go Back to forum