• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to make JABB sound incredibly realistic. Tutorial + Audio Part 1

Share/Bookmark

How to make JABB sound incredibly realistic. Tutorial + Audio Part 1

Hey guys...It's been a while since I last posted anything...
    I wanna give you guys some techniques for JABB to make it sound more realistic and natural.
    I don't own JABB3 yet. A bit jumpy to cross from kontakt to Aria with this Library.

I am not sure if this will work in JABB 3 but give it a try and see what happens...

Okay, so today we'll be discussing Repitition and Variation,

JABB's instruments aren't multisampled except for some of the percussion, so we have a little bit of a problem...Fast lines and repetitive staccatos are sounding terrible. The machinegun effect is litterally raping your composition...

Now unfortunately there is no effective shortcut to obtaining realism with JABB. You have to compose instrument by instrument, as a real section would play anyways.

This tip is going to minimise the machinegun disaster effectively.

If you look on your instrument panel you'll se the pitchbend:

Move it up to 12.

Now the time consuming part comes.
    After you've composed and performed your piece, move around the midi notes and look for that perfect expression you want.
    Take your played note and drag it to that note, then use pitch bend to restore it to the original note...As easy as that!

Here's a quick demonstration with Tenor sax. It sounds much more natural. I also put it slightly out of tune so it would fit seamlessly into a section.

http://www.box.net/shared/o1t4s4srth

Reminder: Dont use notes that are too far away....Some DAWS have a 'note fine pitch' feature that works about the same way as velocity, so that might make it easier.

Just to show how more realistic your sections will get,
    Heres the Sax in it's section. All the instruments are from JABB2

It's a 15 sec excerpt from my arrangement for "Happy feet".

Enjoy!

http://www.box.net/shared/46j41c686l

Re: How to make JABB sound incredibly realistic. Tutorial + Audio Part 1

Great tip.

I can imagine how "sampled" the ornaments would have sounded had this not been done. The resulting sax lead sounds very convincing and sits in the mix of its section very nicely. Also, if I conceptually place the rhythm section aside and just focus on the sax in it's section, that part sounds very homogeneous and I can almost visualize "live recording" that section with a stereo mic configuration. When I'm recording live I often close my eyes and virtually place my head at the mic position to investigate the spatial impression and imaging. Sampled stuff rarely passes that perceptual experiment (and of course, such things as studio tracked drums never pass that test, as the intention in that case is not to recreate a "live" audience perspective).

Cheers,

Tim
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." – Henry Thoreau

This is a great concept, and if I may make a small plug about it:

A few years ago I wrote a Kontakt script (Robin Rocket) that does just this, using adjacent samples to create round robins where there aren't any. If you have the full version of Kontakt 2, you can just load this script on an instrument and it will take care of all of the repetition work for you =)

Robin Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    This is a great concept, and if I may make a small plug about it:

A few years ago I wrote a Kontakt script (Robin Rocket) that does just this, using adjacent samples to create round robins where there aren't any. If you have the full version of Kontakt 2, you can just load this script on an instrument and it will take care of all of the repetition work for you =)

Robin Rocket
    I have it....It is truly a brilliant script! It's my favourite along with UltraTKT
    Didnt use any scripts on the piece though seeing as there are alot of people who don't have the full kontakt player.

Really great tip Heckler. You examples really sound great.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

That's an awesome technique, and an awesome script, for just about ANY single-sampled instrument.

I'm a huge fan of Frank's Humanize Plugin. You can set it to humanize by velocity, start time, note duration, and note pitch. I think if you add all that to the above-mentioned technique, the level of realism will skyrocket -- especially on doubled parts.

Go Back to forum