• Register
  • Help

Topic: Down sampling Cinematic Strings

Share/Bookmark

Down sampling Cinematic Strings

My Cinematic Strings .nki files are too large for my available RAM so I intend to use AudioMove to down sample them from 24 to 16 bit to save space. How do I locate the WAV files to do this? I can see they're stored in a .nki file but AudioMove is looking for a folder. Given that I can access them, I then need to put them back into a .nki file. I know it can be done. Can anyone help please?

Regards,

Graham

Re: Down sampling Cinematic Strings

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch View Post
    My Cinematic Strings .nki files are too large for my available RAM so I intend to use AudioMove to down sample them from 24 to 16 bit to save space. How do I locate the WAV files to do this? I can see they're stored in a .nki file but AudioMove is looking for a folder. Given that I can access them, I then need to put them back into a .nki file. I know it can be done. Can anyone help please?

Regards,

Graham
    Hi Graham, I had the same problem, but took a different way... I loaded a patch, deleted all the groups except one class, say hiposvib pp, hiposvib mp, hiposvib f, hiposvib fff. Saved as new patch, that's it. I had to do without the legato transitions though... I have created a folder of "single patches", very useful and light... hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob View Post
    Hi Graham, I had the same problem, but took a different way... I loaded a patch, deleted all the groups except one class, say hiposvib pp, hiposvib mp, hiposvib f, hiposvib fff. Saved as new patch, that's it. I had to do without the legato transitions though... I have created a folder of "single patches", very useful and light... hope it helps
    Thanks Roberto,

That is indeed a good approach and one that I've already partially implemented. In my case though, I want to preserve the leg transitions. I know some people have simply down sampled which results in a threefold reduction in RAM consumption. If we can find out how to access these WAV files, that might help both of us as it would be a shame to miss out on some of the features we've paid good money for! AudioMove is free and would be a great help here.

I will be adding more RAM soon - but I want to complete my proof of concept first before upgrading hardware.

Regards,

Graham

An update for anyone looking at this thread.

The WAV files are not stored in the .nki file which accounts for why AudioMove couldn't find them. I found them in separate folders and have successfully downsampled a few and got them playing back in Kontakt. They haven't reduced in size by as much as I expected but every little helps when you're running low on RAM.

Graham

Go Back to forum