• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: THE BEST PC TO WORK WITH GIGASAMPLER?

Share/Bookmark

THE BEST PC TO WORK WITH GIGASAMPLER?

intel or amd?
    hey guys !!!i\'m planning to buy a new computer and i really need help to do that.
    i don\'t need the bestest machine ever but good enough to work with gigasampler or gigastudio without crash or little stops (you know what i mean?)
    the best processor,mother board and of course sound card(a good one but not the most expansive!!!!)
    thanx everybody

Re: THE BEST PC TO WORK WITH GIGASAMPLER?

If you want cheap and fast (and stable), get 1.33/1.4ghz athlon cpu and a7m266 mainboard, or you can wait for the nvidia ddr mainboard for athlon cpu. Supposed to be very good.
    There\'s really no reason to buy intel anymore. AMD is both faster and considerably cheaper. (The pentium4 chip is definately not recommended.)
    The only thing to be aware of, is that the fastest athlon cpus can get real hot, if you don\'t use some proper cooling.
    A new version of the athlon cpu is due very soon, which will run both cooler and faster.

Ricardo,
    There\'s a thread on this forum that concerns PC configurations for Gigastudio. Well worth the visit. Also, visit the www.rme-audio.com website, they have several good audio PC configurations listed.
    While you\'re at the rme website, have a look at the Hammerfall series of soundcards. They are excellent. I use the 9652, which gives me 24, 24-bit output tracks (12 stereo outs), and has word clock I/O. The card comes in smaller versions.

Good luck,
    Trond

stmikkel, yes HEAT is the main problem with AMD chips. I hope AMD comes out with a less hot Tbird chip soon, because changing from Intel to Tbird on my Gigastudio system has caused my PSU fan to go into overdrive after a few minutes of operating, because the casing gets so hot. And yes I have a big casing, 2 extra case fans, Silverado 50 for the AMD and a cooler on one of the HDs.... Of course that I have 4 HDs doesnt make it less hot inthere but I had that with the P3 system too, and the PSU didnt get as noisy and the system temp not so high (its at 40-45 degrees, Tbird running 50-55).

I hated my AMD system and am happy to be back with Pentium. No wonder AMD profits are down 90%, they design a chip that operates at 155 and burns out at 154 deg F! ;-)

Simon Ravn:
    That\'s way to hot!
    I mean, 40-45C system temp is not recommended. I don\'t feel comfortable at all, when the system temp is more than 35C.

It is possible to get a reasonable cool systen (at least moderately warm).
    Get the Thermal-Right SK-6 copper cpu heatsink with a Delta 38 CFM fan. Also get some Artic Silver thermal compound. Use a *very* thin layer of it. For instance use your creditcard to smear it out over the button of the heatsink (remove any thermal glue from the heatsink first).

This may sound like a lot of work, but it really isn\'t more than a small sum of $ and some 30 to 60 minutes, and you have a much more cooler system.

Bad heatsink and/or bad mounting is useally the reason why the AMD cpus are getting that hot. Your pc is definately more hot, than it has to be.

thanx guys!!!!great tips.

stmikkel, I don\'t agree... The Silverado is mounted with thermal paste and all. The things is the AMD is generating a lot of heat. The fan moves the heat away, but it it still inside the casing. To get all CPU heat the AMD generates away from the casing is about important without using a vacuum cleaner. The CPU temp will never be able to go lower than 10 degrees above the system temp, which is why the temps are as they are in my system. Not a lot I can do about it with conventional cooling, and I don\'t want to resort to extreme kyrogene or otherwise. The fact is that AMD\'s are just generating too much heat, like it or leave it. And in a system with as many HD\'s as I have it all adds up to a very hot system.

Just as a note, I am running my GigaStudio 160 on a 1GHz AMD and it runs just fine.

Yeah so am I. But it is still running very hot and noisy.

Go Back to forum