• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Announcing a new and FREE impulse response library

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up News on the new and FREE Bricasti M7 IR library (and 1st demo)

[EDIT - first raw demo below]

Upcoming Bricasti M7 IR library by Samplicity

I hope this post is okay with the mods, as it is about an upcoming free, downloadable library

Re: Announcing a new and FREE impulse response library

Every single person here should applaud this. Peter is the IR king and it's free?!

clap clap clap
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Yes Peter does indeed know his reverb! How generous. I use the L96 library he made over altiverb

-mike barry

Recording has finally started after lots of troubles with routing, interfacing and finding the correct input levels for all presets.

Initial results show a SNR of -95 dB to -105 dB in initial IRs, with quick post pro.

That's already a lot better than the "other" M7 IR library on the web, which has SNRs around -45 dB

This time I will also experiment with other noise reduction processing than I normally use, initial tests showed I can get close to -140 dB, but of course the integrity of the first part of the IR is of paramount importance.

The boring work has started!

This unit is really brilliant! If you are a pro or semi-pro with some money to invest, get one (or two!) - I will certainly save for one, this unit is only rented for a week :-(

Hi Peter,

I was wondering "what is he thinking? He's never going to be able to give that thing back!"<G>

I recently picked up a slightly imperfect PCM-90, not on the same level as the Bricasti (or a 480), but still a fine reverb. My plan was to use if for a specific project, fix it, and flip it. Well, that was the plan, till I fired it up. It sounds so much better than any of my plug-ins, well, except maybe the UAD Plate.

So my plan now it to use it as a benchmark for a while, and see if I can get plug-in reverbs (also or convo) to sound as lovely. If not, it's earned a permanent home!

There is still something about some hardware reverbs that the software has not yet been captured - ironic when you consider that since plates and springs these things are all software driven too!

Happy Independence Day to all my independent friends!
    Last edited by wst3ae; 07-04-2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: I hate typos!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Thumbs up Re: Announcing a new and FREE impulse response library

The IRs are nearly finished and will be released this weekend!

Yesterday I finally played with a few of them myself and I was very much impressed! Most of my editing and processing techniques are now based on analyses (spectrum behavior, noise levels, etc.) which involves a lot (a LOT) of visual and manual work. Now it was finally time to check some early results.

So I could also not resist to make a quick demo anyway

Amsterdam Hall True Stereo preset, pizzicati

Some info:

The IRs were not yet been "tailed", which I need to do in exactly the same way for all variations that I have per preset), so this preset still has a 6,5 second length (including after tail noise)

I just threw an anechoic track into Cubase, put Pristine Space on it and dialed in a dry/wet ratio

There is noise, which comes from the recording.

No further processing.

Hehe, I have only played with two presets and I really love them!

Be prepared to delete your other M7 IRs this weekend

Hmmm... this seems quite interesting. Exactly how do you use it though? Can it be plugged in through a DAW? I'm very new to the world of virtual instruments and such, and all these high tech methods of achieving such amazing realism, both with the instrument, and the reverb, are confusing the heck out of me.

To use impulse responses for reverb, you need a convolution plugin, like Altiverb, LiquidSonics Reverberate, Voxengo Pristine Space, Waves IR-1 or Steinberg REVerence. Read the Samplicity home page for some more general information.

Cheers,
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos View Post
    To use impulse responses for reverb, you need a convolution plugin, like Altiverb, LiquidSonics Reverberate, Voxengo Pristine Space, Waves IR-1 or Steinberg REVerence. Read the Samplicity home page for some more general information.

Cheers,
    Peter
    Hi Peter,

I use Kontakt 4.1 which comes with it's own conv reverbs. Do you (or anyone else) know whether this particular one can be loaded into Kontakt? I'm not able to check the manual right now and couldn't find anything via Google that helped.

Regards,

Graham

Go Back to forum