• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Free mini effects library - 'Shhh'

Share/Bookmark

Free mini effects library - 'Shhh'

I have no idea if anyone will actually find it useful. I created this just to test some techniques and to play with some script ideas I had. 'Shhhh' is a sound effects library intended to add realism to orchestral performances (well... probably over-exaggerated realism as I have no actual knowledge or experience when it comes to this stuff - if anyone wants to chip in and help out with the library, feel free).

Currently it contains three instruments, Breath, Human and Page turn.

Breath randomly plays breath sounds depending on the notes played on the MIDI channel it's sitting on. Load the instrument and set it to the same channel as a woodwind/choir/etc. instrument. When Legato passages end, or a sufficiently long note is played, a breath-in sound will trigger. The length of the breath in depends on how long the instrument was played for.

Human plays random 'human sounds' during an instrument playback. It can be put on its own channel if you just wish to have ambient sounds (hold down the lowest C-2 note), or it can be placed onto the same channel as a MIDI instrument that's being played. When this is done, the instrument randomly plays quiet clinks, jangles and finger presses/clicks depending on whats being played. You can configure how rowdy the orchestra is (dynamic mode will cause more sound to play when more notes are played frantically) and pan it to different sections. Sounds can also be manually played with C#-2 to E-2.

Page turn is activated by holding down C-2. When held, the patch will play completely randomly generated page turn sounds (both solo and ensemble) every x bars. If you assign it the same channel as an instrument/section, you can have the script intelligently miss out quiet parts of a section's performance - it will only turn the page when 4 bars have been played by the instrument sharing the MIDI channel. Page turns can also be manually played with C#-2.

Audio demos of the three instruments (these are extreme examples with the instruments really loud than playing in overdrive so you can hear what it's doing in the background).

breath | human | page turn

You can download the library from my site. It works in Kontakt 3.5 and upwards. If anyone thinks it might actually be useable I may have a go at a nicer UI Kontakt 4 version. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome, whether you think it's cool, rubbish, pointless or useful.
    Blake Robinson
    programmer | designer | composer
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

Re: Free mini effects library - 'Shhh'

Thanks. The sounds could prove to be quite useful to me.
    One suggestion though. Remapping the samples to a higher octave (c3) would be probably better than out of keyboardrange.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

It was a concious design decision to put the keys out of usual playing range (since the intent is to have them overlap instruments). I can definitely add a way to configure the keyswitches, though.
    Blake Robinson
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

Great idea. Thanks for sharing. You might consider adding a few laughs, sniggers and vegetable splats, so I can simulate the audience at one of my performances.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by dummeh View Post
    It was a concious design decision to put the keys out of usual playing range (since the intent is to have them overlap instruments). I can definitely add a way to configure the keyswitches, though.
    I see, thats no problem at all already enjoing this lib.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Glad you guys are finding it useful. Feel free to suggest anything you can think of to expand the library. I'm currently contemplating if I could get big enough group of people at work to help out recording for an 'audience' instrument. I have some cool ideas on where I could take that, script-wise.
    Blake Robinson
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

Cool stuff.

How about some piano bench creaks?

Quote Originally Posted by sgarsson View Post
    Cool stuff.
    How about some piano bench creaks?
    Asking at work now if anyone has a creaky wooden stool or similar-to-a-piano-bench-chair. If I get any bites I can borrow and sample that.

Also started recording new sounds last night. Right now 'human' includes the sounds of fingers pressing notes. I'm going to pull that out as a separate patch called 'instrument' and have it so you can pick the instrument type - wind, bow, key, etc. Playing notes would trigger the sounds of keys being pressed, bows being handled, buttons being pressed/released, etc.
    Blake Robinson
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

Quote Originally Posted by dummeh View Post
    Asking at work now if anyone has a creaky wooden stool or similar-to-a-piano-bench-chair. If I get any bites I can borrow and sample that.
    I've got some horrendously creaky stools at work, as well as a piano where the pedal action is quite noisy, causing it's own 'cavernous' reverb as it goes down, even if no notes are played; but I don't know how close I am to you.
    David

I've found a creaky piano stool owner now, so just a case of arranging to have it brought here at some point in the near future for me to record while I sit on it and shuffle about.

Ah the piano ambience stuff would be nice, especially the pedal sounds (I'm working on a Keys instrument at the moment so it'd compliment that nicely) - is there any way you could capture the audio?
    Blake Robinson
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

Go Back to forum