• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO4 and Finale 2010b Integration

GPO4 and Finale 2010b Integration

I am using Finale 2010b (2010b is the current version) and it is only using the 32-bit Aira player (x86).
    I want to use the 64-bit (x64) within Finale 2010b.
    I also have Garritan Authorized Stein Model D version 1.04; can I use the Steinway as my piano within Finale 2010b?
    My Windows platform is Windows 7 64-bit.
    Can I integrate the three programs?

Re: GPO4 and Finale 2010b Integration

Hello Douglas and welcome to our forums,

First, just a correction for any others who may read this post. The current version of Finale is 2011 and not 2010b.

Although you have a 64 bit operating system, Finale is available in 32 bit only; presently there is no 64 bit option for Finale. Therefore you are running your version of Finale 2010b as a 32 bit application in your Windows 7 64 bit environment. You cannot run a 64 bit plugin natively within a 32 bit host. So, although Aria is available in both 32 and 64 bit, you are only able to use the Aria 32 bit.

You could try looking at jBridge which claims to run 32 bit applications within a 64 bit host. I don't know if this applies the other way around (64 bit within a 32 bit host). Even if it would work, I doubt there would be any benefits. Personally I wouldn't recommend using these bit bridging things. Some people claim they work but there are equal, if not more, reports of problems with these. Just my own opinion, of course, but try an internet search if you are interested.

Regarding using your Garritan Steinwway. Finale 2010b does have limited VST support although Garritan instruments tend to integrate well with Finale. I don't have this library but I would think that it could work. Why not just try it and see?

First Locate the Steinway .dll on your system. This will probably be in your C:\Program Files\Garritan directory. Then copy and paste this into your Finale VST directory. The default path for this is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Finale 2010\VST. That should be it. You won't be able to use this with your Finale Setup Wizard (unless there is a steinway.txt file available) but you should be able to setup your score then load the Steinway manually in Finale's MIDI/Audio Instrument Setup.

Hope this helps.
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I am also using Finale 2010b with Garritan. I have 2 queries -
    1/ The slurs do not seem to work - ie the 2nd or more notes of a slur are articulated

2/ Can i adjust the start times of the notes in a stave - ie the strings tend to speak later than the woodwind, can I move them forward a bit to compensate?

Many thanks RT

Hello Roger and a warm welcome to our forums to you too.

I am now using Finale 2011 so I am unable to try to reproduce the problem you describe here. However, when I was using Finale 2010 I never had this problem. I was able to apply slurs which worked exactly as I applied them every time.

The only suggestion I have is to post this problem in the Finale forums to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

As regards nudging notes a little ahead of others. This could be done by judicious use of rests although this is not something I personally would recommend. I have been using Finale for many years and have been using GPO since v1 and, I have to say, I have never found the need to do this at all. If your instruments are not together during playback then I would suggest looking elsewhere. My first checks would be the sound card or MIDI interface.

I would also make a friendly suggestion that it is better to start your own thread when seeking help with a problem not related to the current thread.

In the meanwhile I hope you find some answers.

Good luck.
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum