• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Oil on the Water

Share/Bookmark

Oil on the Water

Hello;
    A topical piece, Oil on the Water utilizes GPO4 string sections, Choir, Flute - solo/vib and solo Cello as well as the Acoustic Guitar from JABB2 and third party percussion voices. However, the Garritan voices are fully in charge at all times, despite the unfamiliar surroundings. Not sure what genre this could be pigeon-holed in. To me, it is not a happy task, to try and represent such calamities with music. A longtime friend, film maker and associate, is working on an epic production which will seek to not only delineate the Worlds problems, but propose solutions and cures. He is in the Gulf area this week and next, filming and interviewing people. I have wished him good luck in this endeavor and I am working on the soundtrack, should he somehow miraculously achieve his ends.

Oil on the Water

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Re: Oil on the Water

Very nice SD.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Thanks Aram! Glad you got a chance to hear it!

Best regards,
    sd Cisco

Well done. It's thoughtful music to a horrific situation. Should that video end up being fully produced, it would be nice to see it (and hear your music).
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Very cinematic! While it would work as a soundtrack, it stands very well on its own.
    I really like the strings over the percussion - there is a bit of the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon ethos here; it feels like a great combination of east/west. Don't know if that was the intention. The second section, with guitar, is quite effective, as well.

Beautifully rendered - hats off to you on that score, as well.

As you say, it's hard classify, style-wise. Can we just say it is a beautiful and moving piece of music, and leave it at that?

Thanks for posting this.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    Well done. It's thoughtful music to a horrific situation. Should that video end up being fully produced, it would be nice to see it (and hear your music).
    Hi Ted;
    Thank your for listening and for your remarks! I wanted to see how that music would work with footage of the spill and ongoing after effects but I couldn't bear to watch it, most particularly the wildlife, I find it heartbreaking.
    Thanks again,

take care,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Very cinematic! While it would work as a soundtrack, it stands very well on its own.
    I really like the strings over the percussion - there is a bit of the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon ethos here; it feels like a great combination of east/west. Don't know if that was the intention. The second section, with guitar, is quite effective, as well.

Beautifully rendered - hats off to you on that score, as well.

As you say, it's hard classify, style-wise. Can we just say it is a beautiful and moving piece of music, and leave it at that?

Thanks for posting this.

All the best,
    Hi there Ron;
    I appreciate your remarks immensely! It is a slow tempo piece, but the fast delivery of the percussion voices give the illusion of an encompassing speed, but then the same voices becoming almost silent on the cycling downbeat, so as not to mark it well.
    Thank you for listening and for your wonderful remarks, they are encouraging!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

It has a very nice, cinematic quality. I like the ambient-like sound the instruments have and the separation it creates between melodic and percussive instruments, and the use of heavy percussion vs. light. I also like the cello line, its bitter-sweetness. I preferred it over the guitar as main melodic instrument, but I can appreciate there has to be some variation. The production is very good. Consistent volume, but not over-compressed, nice frequency balance, and a National Geographic documentary-like quality. It's a very good soundtrack.
    Theo

Nice piece!

This latest tragedy will not be the last nor will it be the worst.

Until a viable energy alternative is available, oil will be the bane of our existence.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    It has a very nice, cinematic quality. I like the ambient-like sound the instruments have and the separation it creates between melodic and percussive instruments, and the use of heavy percussion vs. light. I also like the cello line, its bitter-sweetness. I preferred it over the guitar as main melodic instrument, but I can appreciate there has to be some variation. The production is very good. Consistent volume, but not over-compressed, nice frequency balance, and a National Geographic documentary-like quality. It's a very good soundtrack.
    Hello Theo;
    I am happy you appreciated the piece, I had some reservations on posting it hear, feeling it ran rather counter to the general drift in usage of the GPO4, or at least elements of same. I have changed my workflow, losing a few habits and adding new in their place. I have for now abandoned use of SIR1 reverberation and instead, using the effects found under "Additional Content" in Cubase. Besides sounding cleaner and leaving more of the tone intact, they use very little systems resources.
    Thank you for listening and for your positive feedback!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast