• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help. new pc. Audio Crackling. win7 64

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Help. new pc. Audio Crackling. win7 64

Just finished putting together new pc:
    win7 64bit, Asus p6t, i7-920, 6GB ddr3 kingston ram.

have all latest 64bit drivers installed.

the audio is very crackly, especially on audio inputs, audio tracks, but not so much on vsti instruments, but still, not possible to do any music.

I tried different graphic cards nvidia 256mb 7200gs, and EVGA 1GB nvidia 250 gts, neither of them improved the audio crackling.

Tried Presonus Firestudio project and on board audio, almost the same, the onboard audio was a bit better..

I have the system optimized for best-performance/audio..

Re: Help. new pc. Audio Crackling. win7 64

What kind of Firewire chipset does your motherboard have? Most companies recommend a Texas Instruments chipset for low latency which usually solves the crackling issues.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    What kind of Firewire chipset does your motherboard have? Most companies recommend a Texas Instruments chipset for low latency which usually solves the crackling issues.

Jim
    I use pci fw connector, with TI chipset, have been using the same one on my previous system. btw, I use PSU, and harddrives from the old pc also

What are you using as your host application?

I don't think your graphics card should make any difference. The only time I've ever had any issues was using onboard graphics and that was with the VSTi instrument screen active, not with other audio.

It's possible that your picking up noise from something not shielded well in your system. I had tried a fireware interface last year and had horrible noise coming over firewire. Returned the interface and went with a PCI card which has worked fine without any noise and low latency.

In general, a Core i7 system should have lower latency.

Jim

so far I have best luck with onboard audio, after downloading realtek drivers, switched onboard audio to realtek instead of "disabled" or "HD aduio" in BIOS: no crackles.
    using Asio4All in cubase, and "Lime" output on the motherboard.

Appears to be quite a few people having issues with the firestudio and Windows 7. Do you get the crackling through the headphone jack?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    Appears to be quite a few people having issues with the firestudio and Windows 7. Do you get the crackling through the headphone jack?

Jim
    yes, through the headphone jack also

Don't know if this helps but the front panel that connects to my creative Titanium sound card has crackle and it's from the graphics card. The modern large graphics cards play hell with internal sound cables. It works fine when I connect audio cables to the back of the computer. My sound card has EMI shielding to protect it from the hell that comes from it's neighbour.

Luckily, I got firestudio project to perform much better, but still not good enough to make audio recordings

I downloaded and installed this codec pack: http://www.mediacodec.org/ and disabled onboard audio, now firestudio project works better. even PreSonus ASIO works now! there is no constant audio crackling, only every few seconds few clicks and pops..

basically this is the whole procedure I did to improve the audio from initial unusable audio to current somehow usable audio:

-installed latest motherboard drivers
    -switched off most of the cpu settinsg and other stuff i have no idea about in BIOS
    -disabled HD audio and enabled realtek audi in BIOS
    -installed asio4all
    -installed latest realtek driver
    -installed presonus drivers
    -installed http://www.mediacodec.org/
    -disabled onboard audio in BIOS
    -switched to presonus asio

I wonder if you have a driver causing spikes on your system every few seconds. Download the DPC Latency Checker tool: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Jim

Go Back to forum