• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Opinions on convincing ORCHESTRAL BRASS libraries needed

Share/Bookmark

Opinions on convincing ORCHESTRAL BRASS libraries needed

With all the attention on stings, and now choirs, there doesn't seem to be too many high-end orchestral brass libraries out there (that I have seen at least). I have been using the old giga (converted to Kontakt) Sam horns and I do own PLAY's Platinum Orchestra, but would like to know what others are using to get truly convincing orchestral brass.

Thanks!

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: Opinions on convincing ORCHESTRAL BRASS libraries needed

I use a combo of SAM's Orchestral Brass Classic (now available for Kontakt, which is AWESOME), and VSL's Epic Horns (still the best french horn section out there, imho). Now and then I add in some E W Q L S O brass as well, because its pre-placement into a hall adds some nice depth.

Kerry

I have to mirror Kerry's opinion on VSL Epic Horns - You can't beat it for a french horn section, especially playing legato. Can hear how it sounds in some of these playing the lead horns - turrican.mp3 | multivaders_mockup2.mp3 | pants3.mp3

For the past 6 months or so I've almost exclusively been using Wallander's WIVI brass. It's just been an insane time saver for me. It's modelled and uses cc2 or a breath controller (like this), so there are no articulations and it feels much more natural to write brass passages for it. Sometimes it can be a bit hit and miss and take a few hours of playing about with it to fine-tune how it sounds. Some mp3s I've done previously if you want to hear how it sounds - brass_scavengers.mp3 | mv_corporation.mp3 | kz_helghastisamedley.mp3 | wing fortress.mp3 | sadler_iron_wivi.mp3.

Some of the patches in Project SAM's Symphobia sound great, too (especially the staccato ones. I think the Low brass staccato is one of my favourites). Symphobia was used in these pieces - scav_theyrehere.mp3 | slithers.mp3 | attack_the_planet.mp3 | symphobia_test1.mp3 | symphobia_test2.mp3

I've not used EWQLSO's brass library but I have also heard some great things done with it.

Sorry for bombardment of links, but I figured it might prove useful hearing how it all sounds. Some of them are a little rough as they're from my scrapbook of random stuff but they should give an example of the libraries.
    Blake Robinson
    programmer | designer | composer
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

I've seen over on the East/West forums that there is a Hollywood brass in the works. Since I've been very happy with the brass sounds in EWQLSO, I'm sure that Hollywood Brass, when ever it comes out, will be VERY good.

For now, I just mix the various Garritan brass I have with the SO ones, and it seems to work nicely.

I vote for WIVI.

If SampleModeling team made Tuba, I might consider using their products too.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Trumpets....Sample Modeling
    Horns....VSL
    Solo Trombone...Sample Modeling
    "pad" like brass section....Symphobia
    Full brass staccato...Symphobia is a must!
    But yeah...It's much cheaper to buy real brass instruments and a fairly decent mic and learn how to play it than to buy combos of high end libs.
    Sometimes I'm on the lookout for Highschool brass musicians....Affordable...and some of them are really amazing musicians.

I havent seen a truly convincing brass lib yet. All the libraries are WAAYY too perfectly played to an extent that they dont sound 'human'.
    We need some flaws as you may call it.....I'm quite impressed though with the Sample modeling stuff....They are so expressive that you can make those desired flaws yourself.
    By the way...
    Try the free Philharmonia tuba...It's really not that bad.

Trumpets - 1st & 3rd chair: Sample Modeling The Trumpet
    2nd chair: Project Sam Trumpet (Solo Sessions)

Trombones - Sample Modeling The Trombone

French Horns - Use various instruments depending on the passage and mutes.
    Westgate French Horn usually on 1st part.
    VSL French Horn - 3rd part
    Project SAM French Horn - 2nd part
    WIVI - 4th part and all mutes
    A couple older libraries for stopped horns as there isn't much out there

Tuba - VSL

Jim

Do you guys have any audible examples of how your setups sound? I'd definitely be interested in hearing what kinds of results everyone's achieving with their different setups. Also, are you using things such as Sample Modeling's trumpet/trombones in orchestra? I'd definitely be keen to hear the results to see if it's worth checking out (can they be worked for an ensemble, for example).

I also imagine that different styles are going to require different libraries. I can't imagine, for example, VSL or SAM Horns being able to achieve certain things. From my experience, too, you need to pick different libraries for different uses (Epic horns for legato, WIVI for staccato, etc.)

Audio examples would be most useful to me, at least.
    Blake Robinson
    programmer | designer | composer
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

Westgate horns.

Allegro Data Solutions

The Westgate french horns sound appealing, but what is with the requirement of, "Kontakt 2.1 (Not compatible with Kontakt Player) & Gigastudio 3.1"? It seems like Westgate hasn't updated their products for a few years.

Thanks to everyone for the input on brass libs.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Go Back to forum