• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Omnisphere - Running out of memory warning message

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere - Running out of memory warning message

Hi

I've been struggling with this for ages and it's interrupting my work flow so much I may have to give up on omnisphere completely: Whenever I use Omnisphere I get the 'Running out of memory' warning message all too often and soon afterwards I lose sound from it and then have to save, and then close and re-open logic. This happens when I'm just flicking through presets and only have 3 or 4 patches loaded. After saving and re-opening I then seem to get even less time before I get the same warning message.

I have looked at the memory management tutorial: I have it on Server mode, use lite patch mode and i have set my buffer to a high setting.

In terms of other plugins Im using in the project (1xBattery, 1xAnalog Factory, 1x(stereo)Kontakt etc.) I am not using an 'unreasonable' amount other plugins.

I'm using Logic 9.1 on a quad core 2.66ghz and 10Gb of ram so it's not that I have a slow system, and I have the most recent update.

Any help appreciated!
    jp

Re: Omnisphere - Running out of memory warning message

i use a similiar system with a buffer setting of 128 and dont have this problem.
    What buffersize are you using?

Hi Hans

Thanks for replying. I'm using a buffer size 512 or 1024. That's really interesting - where am I going wrong?? And ideas?

jp

How can you play anything but pads using such high buffer settings?
    Have you tried to use a smaller one?
    I did experience the low memory situation with Omnisphere before i started using the memory server but ever since i didnt have that problem anymore.

Your right - you can't. But I start off at 128 or similar and then end up at 512 or 1024.

I thought the server option would solve my problem but I'm still getting error messages and then eventually end up losing the sound form omnisphere until I re-open the project.

Any ideas?

ok-i see.
    i do that sometimes to when i need the CPU cycles during mixing.
    Sorry i dont have any idea what could provoke your problem.
    have you tried contacting the Spectrasonics helpdesk?
    They are very knowledgable people and eager to help.

ok cheers.
    jp

You definately have enough power and ram. Something sounds out of whack with your system. What is the history of your system- have you installed/removed lots of software before- possibly corrupting things? Try running Plogue's Bidule (you can run it for 30 days or so)- put an instance of Omni in there- and see if you get the same issue.
    In my head, I would just wipe and reinstall everything (I plan on doing that when I get Stylus anyways). But others will likely say that is not needed (just my old PC habits coming back hahaha).

One thing- I don't believe it's Omnisphere causing you issues- In Bidule, I can run 2 instances of Omni- both loaded with 8 instruments- playing them live- only causing minimal cpu overload (although I do max out the 2 cores). So your issue just seems so non-Omni related.

Hi Javaj

The thing is I haven't long done a clean install of everything when I updated to snow leopard and logic 9.1. But it may be worth doing though...

Presumably I could carry out the same test in garageband? Which I will now do and get back to you.

What are your pagefile virtual memory settings? I seem to recall having mine set to "no page file" and getting that same kind of error.
    I'm a PC guy, so I don't know the Mac equivalent, but try playing with the pagefile?? (virtual memory??) size.

Boyd

Go Back to forum