• Register
  • Help

Topic: User Experience with Hollywood Strings

Share/Bookmark

User Experience with Hollywood Strings

Hi All,

I’m looking into purchasing Hollywood Strings in the next month and was hoping to get some critiques of the product outside of their forum. From what I’ve read, loading the library on SSD drives is the way to go. Unfortunately, I can’t afford the steep price tag for SSD drives. Anyone had luck running Hollywood Strings on a 7200 SATA drive? Also, if anyone has both LASS and Hollywood Strings, I’d be curious to hear a users perspective on the two libraries.

Thanks.

- Gavin

Re: User Experience with Hollywood Strings

Quote Originally Posted by MODE View Post
    Hi All,

I’m looking into purchasing Hollywood Strings in the next month and was hoping to get some critiques of the product outside of their forum. From what I’ve read, loading the library on SSD drives is the way to go. Unfortunately, I can’t afford the steep price tag for SSD drives. Anyone had luck running Hollywood Strings on a 7200 SATA drive? Also, if anyone has both LASS and Hollywood Strings, I’d be curious to hear a users perspective on the two libraries.

Thanks.

- Gavin
    Gavin, I'm currently finishing up a review of HS that will appear in either a magazine, or in the blog I'm building off of my website. I'm running HS on an i7, quad Core PC running Windows 7. Running HS off of its drive (eventually I'd spread it out over several). Creating multiple PLAY templates for all instrument groups... working fairly well on this one computer so far...

Gary Eskow

"Seek and ye shall find"

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...lywood-strings

Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Eskow View Post
    Gavin, I'm currently finishing up a review of HS that will appear in either a magazine, or in the blog I'm building off of my website. I'm running HS on an i7, quad Core PC running Windows 7. Running HS off of its drive (eventually I'd spread it out over several). Creating multiple PLAY templates for all instrument groups... working fairly well on this one computer so far...

Gary Eskow
    Thanks Gary for the info. I'd be running it on a smiliar set up to yours. Glad to read you are able to get multiple instances going. Looking forward to reading the full review.

- Gavin

Running it off SATA drives was really frustrating and practically unusable.

Some instruments took 4 mins to load!

Got a PC Audiolabs machine for it and it is screaming now - much much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Koss View Post
    Running it off SATA drives was really frustrating and practically unusable.

Some instruments took 4 mins to load!

Got a PC Audiolabs machine for it and it is screaming now - much much better.
    Does that machine have all Solid State Drives?

-Alex

I use both LASS and Hwood Strings, and I love 'em both. They're also a nice compliment to each other. I'd say the one weakness on Hwood Strings (for me & my tastes) is that you can't achieve the same kind of light spiccato & staccato sounds that you can with LASS, and the spicc & stacc sounds are really really similar to begin with. Another plus for LASS is that on the spicc & stacc strings, you can achieve a lot of bow noise, especially if you have the "slam" turned on, or if you're using the A.R.T. tool. But with Hwood Strings, the lyrical and bow-change-type patches are really lush and gorgeous. I thought I would end up using one or the other, but I'm finding myself using both libraries equally now, and just layering them where I need a more dense sound. Hwood Strings is also a nice library to lay *under* LASS, especially if you want even meatier short string sounds: you can turn on the surround patches & put the HWood reverb on, and your LASS spiccs and staccs are automatically beefed up & take up more "space" in the mix, but you still get that wonderful, super-awesome bow sound that I just adore in the LASS strings. Hwood is a bigger, more lush and rounded sound (the bowchange and slow legato samples are great) and the LASS legato and sus samples have more of an edge to them.

Another plus for LASS is that it runs in Kontakt, so if you have a lot of RAM you'll be able to load a ridonkulous number of patches without any problem (using Kontakt's memory server). Hwood Strings can load a fair number of the "lite" patches (and some of the fatter ones as well) into your system's RAM outside of your sequencer (I use Logic), but it seems to hit its ceiling pretty quickly - I'm guessing that's because so many of the patches are so massive. And yes, the patches can take a long time to load, but in my opinion that doesn't really come into play: I'm after a certain sound, and if that hoped-for sound takes a few minutes to load, I'm cool with that.

Sorry, that probably didn't make your decision any easier! But I'm realizing, the more I play with both libraries, that it isn't necessarily an either/or decision: it's more like "which one do I need the most right now, for what I'm working on right now." But I'm 110% happy with both purchases, and don't regret either one.

Kerry

Wonderful! Thanks for the great user experience Kerry. It was very helpful and good to know about your experience with HS. I did end up picking up LASS and am really liking it more and more every day. It took me awhile to get used to its sound and learn how to use the various divisi sections to blend and color the sound.

I'm a little weary of taking the Hollywood Strings plunge at the moment due to its long load times on SATA drives. It seems like every time a new product that raises the bar comes out it inevitably means having to update some piece of software or hardware

- Gavin

I would recommend anything that runs in Kontakt with memory server. I can load a gazillion Symphobia multis and my Mac Pro never has a problem keeping up. I never worry about how many instruments or instances I have open in Kontakt.

I just ordered Symphobia 2 that comes with Kontakt player 4.1. At least on paper the new Kontakt goes further than just memory server and sounds like a beast. It has instrument background loading which let's you start working almost immediately, and lossless sample compression which allows faster streaming from disk. Hopefully this will push my instrument count even higher.

Go Back to forum