• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rick Dangerous Kontakt instrument

Share/Bookmark

Rick Dangerous Kontakt instrument

You did read right. This is somewhat pointless (like my pong instrument) but I thought you guys might find it interesting as it really demonstrates how flexible Kontakt 4 is. I'll be releasing the full thing once I've added a little more to it. It's all made in Kontakt 4. Here's a video showing it in action.

I know it's pointless - but pointlessly cool... right?
    Blake Robinson
    programmer | designer | composer
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

Re: Rick Dangerous Kontakt instrument

Very cool! I love what you do with your Konkakt scripts. Well, what I've seen on your script videos. I haven't actually used scripts in Kontact yet (that I know of).

But what I haven't seen.... (prepare for a sort-of-on-topic rant). Where is all the *basic* info on Kontakt scripting? I used Kontakt every day, but it's basically just loading a library and playing. I'd love to get into the world of scripting. I've searched the net for scripting tutorials and every single one of them delves into the programming aspects of scripting. That's fine (and a valuable resource) but I want something far more basic - Like how do I load a load a script?

I'm familar with software development, so the programming aspect of scripts make sense to me and they seem very powerfull. But I spent an hour yesterday trying to find documentation on working with scripts, not programming them. Kontack's .pdf file touches on scripts, but not the basics.

All I was looking for is something like this - Step 1. Load this patch (some basic Kontakt patch). Step 2 - Apply a script (and say how to do this). Step 3. Notice how the script has changed the sound.

This seems incredibly basic. Yet I could not find a single tutorial on how to do this.

Info on Kontakt script can be a little lacking. I have been writing some Kontakt tutorials on my site but they have been technically-based. Think it'd be worth me writing a few short tutorials?

There are a couple of ways to do what you were asking for. The easiest method is as follows:

1. Open a script in something like notepad.
    2. Select everything and copy it to the clipboard.
    3. In Kontakt, load the instrument you want to use the script with.
    4. Press the Edit Mode spanner button at the top.
    5. Press the Script Editor button to show the script editor.
    6. Press Edit in the grey script editor area.
    7. Click Apply From... and select Clipboard.
    8. Click Apply

Your script is now loaded and running with your instrument. You can use the Preset button above Edit to save this script and its current state as a preset. You can also share presets and load other presets from this menu (Script presets are nkp files that go in the Documents\Native Instruments\Kontakt 4\presets\scripts folder). When I release scripts I tend to make a preset and share that.
    Blake Robinson
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

THANK YOU!!!!!!

That helps a lot! It's the things like 'APPLY' that are not really intutive. I was going on the assumption that you simply load a script and it's applied. This will help me a lot. I'm going to try this tonight.

Thanks again.

THANK YOU!! I'm still really new to Kontakt and haven't even scratched the surface, but I've been curious about using scripts and that short tut in layman's terms may be just what I need to get my feet wet.

Will try soon, thanks so much!

"Games for Kontakt" - this could be a market gap
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

With the additional bonus of them being cross platform by default :D
    Blake Robinson
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

wow man, that's pretty cool!
    SoundsAndGear.com - music production news, reviews, sounds, software, tutorials, and videos.

Maschine Tutorials - exclusive videos, tips and instructions for Native Instruments Maschine.

Making progress. Almost all the gameplay elements are script now so it's mostly a case of remaking the screens from the original game.

Blake Robinson
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

Hi Blake,

I will definitely be really interested in short tutorial un Kontakt scripting as well... I'm in the same situtation as described above, I spent a little time trying to figure it out some times ago, but really the only thing I came up with is copying part of existing script that I needed... but now Kontakt 4 seems so much more powerful UI wise and stuff that are coming out now are really impressive...

Thanks.

Go Back to forum