• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Free gigs - input wanted

Share/Bookmark

Free gigs - input wanted

Hi all!

As you might now, there once where a site called \"Worra\'s Place\", well there still is, but the free downloads are a bit crippled.

The general idea was to let people share their homemade gigs. It was a success! Many people shared their gigs, some where first attempt and some where really professional and some where in between.
    Anyway, I\'ve still got somewhere between 600-700 Mb of gigs.
    The problem is bandwith. I\'ve got 8Gb/month in the account that I use, and that\'s used up within 2-3 days if I put all the gigs up.
    Additional bandwidth comes at $12/Gb, so there\'s really no possibility of me paying for this.
    I\'ve tried several different solutions, it turns out that all providers that offers \"unlimited bandwidth\" doesn\'t really do that and cooperations with other companies haven\'t been working that great either. It seems like the only way to get this site up and running is to put all files up at my own site and simply pay for the extra bandwidth.
    Ok, as I said, I can\'t afford this, so here\'s what I had in mind:
    Would it be interesting to pay a small fee to get access to the gigs, say $15/month. That is, for that amount, you\'ll get a user/pw that gives you acess to the gigs during one months time?
    In return, I promise that there will be at least 2 new gigs/week to download from Worra\'s Place.

Please let me know what you think of this, before I\'ll begin setting up the site.

Peace
    Worra

Re: Free gigs - input wanted

Why don\'t you get DSL with a static IP, and just set up a Linux server with anonymous ftp. Your website could point to these files. That would cost you a whopping $50 a month, and solve all our problems.

If you don\'t have the ability to do this, maybe you should turn over all the uploaded gigs to someone else who can do this.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sgarsson:
    This then starts to beg the question of why not set-up a commerce model similar to Sampleheads where you pay as you go based upon what you need and want.

Scott
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This would be a better idea, but I\'m afraid that it would take a lot of time to administrate. You have to put a price on each gig, and that would be very hard to do.
    Maybe if there where some kind of way to put up a small demo, like streaming audio of what the gigs sounds like that you could listen to before you decide if you want to pay the fee, I suppose that would be possible.

/Worra

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by meltingmars:
    Why don\'t you get DSL with a static IP, and just set up a Linux server with anonymous ftp. Your website could point to these files. That would cost you a whopping $50 a month, and solve all our problems.

If you don\'t have the ability to do this, maybe you should turn over all the uploaded gigs to someone else who can do this.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, that would cost me $600/year to maintain a free service, sorry, just cant afford that. Also, I\'ve put down a lot of hours making Worra\'s Place what it is, so I really want to keep it to myself!
    Also I really don\'t think that a DSL connection could handle the kind of bandwidth that we are talking about here. What I want to do, is to get a permanent working solution.
    /Worra

Hi Worra,

Thanks for asking us into your quest for distributing gigs - always a noble cause. It is an interesting concept.

I am not sure, however, I would participate. I have downloaded many of the sounds from your board. A few of the gigs are excellent and many are marginal.

So, if I am to pay a subscription fee, I would care more about assurance\'s of quality gigs than I would about volume of gigs. At $15 bucks a month, a few great gigs would be worth it. This then starts to beg the question of why not set-up a commerce model similar to Sampleheads where you pay as you go based upon what you need and want.

Just my 2 cents. I am sure there are many other perspectives.

Scott

I\'m just thinking out loud here ...

At $15/month, that becomes $180/year. If 100 users participated in a subscription program, that would accumulate $18,000/year. If it costs $4,000 for storage and bandwidth that would leave $14,000 for collection, creation, or modification of Giga soundware annually. Does $14k support a rate of production of two new instruments per month? Don\'t know.

Would I pay $180 for 24 great Gigafiles each year? Yes, if most were what I needed to deliver on my projects. I just paid $120 for Maximum Strength Guitar, which consists of two Gigafiles -- one strummed and one picked (with lots of dimensions of course). It was what I needed.

Just some thoughts.

clueless

Hi Worra,

You made a honourable contribution to the GS-community in the past.

BUT

if you are going commercial (and if you charge fees for whatever reason then you ARE going commercial) please do not miss to ask the producers of the smaples before, if you are allowed to still \"distribute\" their free files.

Concerning the file I send you (a flute) the answer is clearly NO. I do not want my free file to be distributed on a pay-site. It should stay my little contribution to the community.

Horst

Horst, the files would still be free, the only thing that I want to avoid is me paying big bucks to keep this free site up. The $15/month was just a suggestion and I haven\'t really calculated on it, but I assume that there will be a lot of hackers using stole PW\'s that will D/L, and for that, I have to pay.
    If I was to use the bandwidth that I\'m allowed to have (10Gb/month) and put up all gigs, I probably have to close it down after 2-3 days since then the BW would be all used up. I tried a couple of months ago and I used up 8Gb on 2 days. For every extra Gb I have to pay $12, if I use up 4Gb/day that would be 120Gb/month. Minus the 8 that I have, I have to pay for 112Gb. That would be $1344......
    Sooo, I\'m only trying to find a way to get the gigs up and make them stay up.

What people would be paying for, really, are the bandwidth, not the gigs.
    I agree on that all people that have contributed should have chanse to tell if they want to be on a site that operates in this way or not.

I wouldn\'t get rich on this, bealive me, on the other hand, I could get poor.... imagin what would happen if a stolen PW got on the alt.bins..... It wouldn\'t be THAT funny to owe my ISP $2000-3000.....
    Maybe this isn\'t that good idea after all....

/Worra

Worra, what about setting up multiple Geocities accounts and spread the Gigs across the accounts. Gigs that are over 15M can be split up as a self-extracting Rar. It could be set up so that the main page list the files, which links to the sub-pages, where you can download the actual files. Multi-part files can daisy chain across several accounts. This method gets around Geocities\' no direct linking policy. Admittedly, this is clumsy, but it is free.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by killerbobjr:
    Worra, what about setting up multiple Geocities accounts and spread the Gigs across the accounts. Gigs that are over 15M can be split up as a self-extracting Rar. It could be set up so that the main page list the files, which links to the sub-pages, where you can download the actual files. Multi-part files can daisy chain across several accounts. This method gets around Geocities\' no direct linking policy. Admittedly, this is clumsy, but it is free.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tip, but already tried that. Not with Geocity, but with some other ISP that works the same. I even contacted them and told them about it since I wanna do this straight. When they found out the imense BW that I used up, they simply shut the sites down. They can do that!

I also tryed a lot of other methods, MySpace being one of them, didn\'t work that well either....

/Worra

Go Back to forum