• Register
  • Help

Topic: Songs of 1986 (GPO, COMB, JABB)

Share/Bookmark

Songs of 1986 (GPO, COMB, JABB)

Here is a quickie medley of pop tunes from 1986 I just finished for some outdoor Independence Day festivities. Arranged for Concert Band in Finale 2010. Uses mostly GPO4 sounds (including SAM brass). JABB for drums & electric bass, and COMB2 for euphonium only.

http://david.lovrien.com/audio/1986.mp3

Re: Songs of 1986 (GPO, COMB, JABB)

Very good!
    80's vibe + some clever arranging... Love it!

One tiny suggestion though. The drums are a bit smothered in reverb. In the 80's drums had very minimal reverb on the kick, hi hats, high toms and cymbals but a large amount of reverb of the snare and low tom. To balance it out nicely, one can use compressors to even things out a bit.
    I'm not sure whether you are using JABB 2 or 3, but I know in JABB 2 you have got the drumsets in kitform aswell as individual instruments so it shouldnt be difficult to use selective reverb.
    Making the drumtrack mono can also help a bit.

And another thing is this is going to be playing outside....in bigger ambience. You dont want your instruments to smother eachother in their own reverb.
    I did a cinematicesque piece last year for a group of Tribal dancers not knowing they were going to be performing in an outside auditorium. I got complimentary tickets for the show and went to go watch... Long story short....Reverb + large ambience....not a good idea at all.

Other than that, I really enjoyed your piece....It is something really diffirent.

Glad you enjoyed it. I only use Garritan sounds to listen to my arrangements and compositions while in progress - the audio is never played live for anyone (except in forums like this). The actual arrangement will be played by live musicians. When I can, I post the live recording as well for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Dargason View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it. I only use Garritan sounds to listen to my arrangements and compositions while in progress - the audio is never played live for anyone (except in forums like this). The actual arrangement will be played by live musicians. When I can, I post the live recording as well for comparison.
    Can't wait!
    I love listening to comparison pieces.
    Good luck!

Nice arrangement. Thanks for the outline on the your choice of Garritan items.

brsmith
    www.brsmusic.net

Go Back to forum