• Register
  • Help

Topic: ARIA & SONAR & Keyswitches

Share/Bookmark

ARIA & SONAR & Keyswitches

Noticed the following and don't how to determine where the error comes from.

Sonar 8.5.3 & ARIA (latest update):

Suppose a pizzicato note on Sonar's timestamp: 24:01:000
    Suppose the keyswitch on Sonar's timestamp: 23:01:000 AND that keyswitch (F1) has a duration of exactly 1:000 then the next note on 24:01:000 (which should be pizzicato) is not played at all.

It also involves other keyswitch values, when placed before the actual note and with a duration as such that the keyswitch duration is adjacent or overlaps the first note, then this note will not be played!!!

I have automatic legato on in ARIA.

Raymond

Re: ARIA & SONAR & Keyswitches

Do you have the same problem when auto legato is off ?
    This kind of problem could comes form the auto-legato plugin.
    I'll have a look at the auto-legato code.
    Pascal Maheux, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montréal. http://www.plogue.com

Typing error!! The keyswitch was at 23:04:000, in a 4/4 measure.

Raymond

Ok ... auto legato interprets keyswitches as notes... Will need to update the plugin and the products using it to fix this.

It is the start of the KS(keyswitch) which 'kills' the note. Try to make your keyswitches event short (one tick if possible) and try to avoid sending KS and note on the same tick(make sure the KS is sent before the note on)
    Pascal Maheux, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montréal. http://www.plogue.com

Hi,

Oddly enough, this problem doesn't happen with good ol' Sonar 7...

My guess is that Cakewalk changed the way they handle the queue of midi notes playing on the same tick some time between V7 and V8.5. Will check with V8.0 this afternoon...
    Éric Patenaude, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Quote Originally Posted by pascalM View Post
    Ok ... auto legato interprets keyswitches as notes... Will need to update the plugin and the products using it to fix this.

It is the start of the KS(keyswitch) which 'kills' the note. Try to make your keyswitches event short (one tick if possible) and try to avoid sending KS and note on the same tick(make sure the KS is sent before the note on)
    If it is the start of the KS, making the KS shorter doesn't make sense, because the start of the KS is still at the same place. Only the ending is different. When you read the original message, you see that I already placed the KS's BEFORE the actual note.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    If it is the start of the KS, making the KS shorter doesn't make sense, because the start of the KS is still at the same place. Only the ending is different. When you read the original message, you see that I already placed the KS's BEFORE the actual note.

Raymond
    I think that Pascal actually meant it's the ending of the keyswitch note which is the problem. I believe he means you just need to make the keyswitch notes shorter, making sure they don't overlap into the start time of your actual notes.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I think that Pascal actually meant it's the ending of the keyswitch note which is the problem. I believe he means you just need to make the keyswitch notes shorter, making sure they don't overlap into the start time of your actual notes.

Randy
    Of course, when having discovered it and having written about it, I "did" all keyswitches and set them to 25% of the original duration (any other value is good).
    It is a bug. I never had that with KP2. Oh sorry, it is not a bug, it is a hidden and unexpected feature, not yet documented in the manual.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    ...It is a bug. I never had that with KP2.
    Pascal already said it's a known bug and it will be fixed:

"... auto legato interprets keyswitches as notes... Will need to update the plugin and the products using it to fix this..."

But you understand it's the way in which Aria is functioning with Sonar 8.5 which is the problem. That problem apparently isn't happening in Cubase, for instance. One of the biggest headaches for developers is to make things compatible with as many programs and OS's as possible. Sonar seems to be a particularly difficult program to keep up with.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Pascal already said it's a known bug and it will be fixed:

"... auto legato interprets keyswitches as notes... Will need to update the plugin and the products using it to fix this..."

But you understand it's the way in which Aria is functioning with Sonar 8.5 which is the problem. That problem apparently isn't happening in Cubase, for instance. One of the biggest headaches for developers is to make things compatible with as many programs and OS's as possible. Sonar seems to be a particularly difficult program to keep up with.

Randy
    Maybe it is too simple thinking, but IMHO whatever sequencer you use, it has nothing to do with the "player" in the case of keyswitches. Not the sequencer makes the switch to other "voices" in the sample lib, but the player. The sequencer only carries that keyswitch as a normal note and the player must interpret this as "now play another instrument/voice" and don't "pass-this-on" to the sequencer.

Raymond

Go Back to forum