• Register
  • Help

Topic: And again: Mahler

Share/Bookmark

And again: Mahler

Gustav Mahler's Symphony No 1 is now completed.

The last movement is here:
    http://www.virtualphilharmonic.co.uk/Mahler_S1M4.php

The whole symphony is here:
    http://www.virtualphilharmonic.co.uk/Mahler_S1.php

but there is also a special page devoted solely to this particular "album release" for the 150th anniversary of Gustav Mahler's birthday tomorrow (July 7, 2010):
    http://www.virtualphilharmonic.co.uk...fLonelyOne.php

That latter page will start auto-playing the complete symphony, provided you have the correct Windows Media Player plugin installed. This page has not yet been released to anybody - you are the first to get a preview of this, before I link to this page from other pages.

"Blumine" is still missing - I got the printed score, but had no time yet to work on it...

Hope you enjoy Gustav Mahler's music!

Re: And again: Mahler

All the virtual Mahlerians will thank you, Reinhold.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Reinhold:

A virtual masterpiece of some of the best classical music ever composed.

I'd say, "One has to brave to attempt such an immense virtual music project."
    Your effort can only be measured in the highest of praise.

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thanks, Jack and Fabio!

And I just completed a little encore - SD Cisco will be happy (he requested this a while ago in a thread):

The "Blumine" movement is included now in the playlist. I have hereby recreated the original structure of Symphony No 1, with the Blumine movement at its original place. This movement does have some thematic material which later in the 4th movement is being used - so the whole narrative of the symphony makes more sense with this movement.

http://www.virtualphilharmonic.co.uk...fLonelyOne.php

Great work. I had downloaded it earlier and listened to it yesterday (my last day of holidays) and I have to say its sounds pretty convincing at certain points. This has to have been a rather large undertaking. I'm also glad it kept the feel of the previous movements, since it exposes certain lines that I'd never heard in any other recording, nor live, since they are simply overpowered. You've really created your own Mahler interpretation. My compliments. And thanks for sharing.
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    Great work. I had downloaded it earlier and listened to it yesterday (my last day of holidays) and I have to say its sounds pretty convincing at certain points. This has to have been a rather large undertaking. I'm also glad it kept the feel of the previous movements, since it exposes certain lines that I'd never heard in any other recording, nor live, since they are simply overpowered. You've really created your own Mahler interpretation. My compliments. And thanks for sharing.
    Hi Theo,

thank you for your kind comments!
    Yes, it was a large undertaking, but somewhat less than expected. I started the bulk of the work in March, and finished just in time on 7.7.2010.
    The "Blumine" I actually did on one evening (well, night: started at 6:30pm and finished at 2:30 am).
    The "Hunter's Funeral" is the one with the longest history: I had created the first MIDI back in 1995.

When doing this and dissecting and playing the score instrument by instrument, I re-discovered the music to some extend in a new way: as you said, there are certain lines in the music which appear to be "smeared-over" in most recordings. I tried to "chisel out" these fine details with an appropriate instrumental balance. Especially woodwinds benefit from this, as they usually are overwhelmed by strings and brass. On the other hand, this may also be slightly unnatural, as in a real orchestra they are just quieter than the other instruments...

In any case, there will be more Mahler renditions from VPO, up to 18.5.2011, the 100th anniversary of Gustav.

Hi there;
    It is generally very good and careful attention to detail. But at the 6:58 mark, for the next 30 seconds the volume falls off precipitously and then near 7:30 comes back to normal.
    I went back over that part several times, just to be sure. But otherwise very entertaining!

Thank you.
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum