• Register
  • Help

Topic: How many people use 'lite' versions in newer libraries.

Share/Bookmark

Re: How many people use \'lite\' versions in newer libraries.

Esperlad, how do you make Gigastudio load your instrument at normal speed when you have that much memory? I have 1GB and when I get above 30% of RAM use instruments start taking forever to load... not the most encouraging and creativity boosting thing to happen...

Esperlad,

I don\'t know how you get all of your samples into memory and have room to spare using the full versions. Just loading ContraBassoon, Bassoon, Bass Clarinet, Clarinet, English Horn, Oboe, Flute and Piccolo using the keyswitched versions with 3 or 4 articulations I have 80% memory usage with 512 MB. This is before I load any other instruments.

By the way, the lite versions of the Dan Dean\'s woodwinds sound excellent - not much difference from the full versions. He still used 4 velocity levels for most of the instruments but is only using 4 samples per octave. When blended with AO and Xsample they sound great. Using the lite versions, the Dan Dean Woodwinds still use 40% memory.

Unfortunately, my motherboard is maxed out at 512 MB.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haydn:
    Esperlad,

I don\'t know how you get all of your samples into memory and have room to spare using the full versions. Just loading ContraBassoon, Bassoon, Bass Clarinet, Clarinet, English Horn, Oboe, Flute and Piccolo using the keyswitched versions with 3 or 4 articulations I have 80% memory usage with 512 MB. This is before I load any other instruments.

By the way, the lite versions of the Dan Dean\'s woodwinds sound excellent - not much difference from the full versions. He still used 4 velocity levels for most of the instruments but is only using 4 samples per octave. When blended with AO and Xsample they sound great. Using the lite versions, the Dan Dean Woodwinds still use 40% memory.

Unfortunately, my motherboard is maxed out at 512 MB.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also have 512MB of ram and can load all of the DDSWW full versions for orchestral work. Check a couple of things...
    1. Is your system \"leaned out\"? Check your system configuration. Is there a bunch of stuff that doesn\'t need to be there? If so, get rid of it.
    2. Check your Windows files. Are there a bunch of files that auto load? If so, get rid of all of the stuff you\'re not using.
    3. Load only the DDSWW stuff you need. In essence, load only the presets you\'ll need...don\'t always load the complete full file. This will dog your system down.
    4. We tested the Light Versions of the DDSWW thoroughly. I can hear a SLIGHT difference between the full and light versions. If the part is exposed and really up front, use the FULL version. If the part is back and mixed in an ensemble, use a light version and save space.
    5. My website is coming up shortly. There will be updated .art files for registered users. In those files will be enhanced versions that fix editor bugs contributed by GS edit prior to V 2.2x. The new version patches will vastly improve playability and add new features such as ensembles f and p found only in the upcoming DD Solo Brass. If you\'re a registered user, you can have all the patches which fix editor bugs and add new ensemble features. They will be free to registered users when completed. These sound great and should easliy take care of your \"ensemble\" needs. Watch for http://www.dandeanpro.com to come on line. Follow the directions on how to receive the update.

The DD Solo Brass are nearly complete. You\'ll find the latest information on them and all other DD products on the same upcoming site.

Thanks,
    Dan Dean

the speed varies when loading instruments after 30%. Usually I just wait until all are loaded.

I have played works for full band and orchestra with all the instruments loaded in. Everything played fine, but keep in mind that most of the sounds were from AO and x-sample, and Dan Dean strings.
    As for the new Woodwinds, I\'ve not problems yet. I\'ve used them for band works.

so far, many of the instrumments were rather small. When the new brass comes out from Mr. Dean, the new quantum leap, and giga strings, I\'ll see how this affects my RAM.

How many people use \'lite\' versions in newer libraries.

How many people use the \'lite\' versions in some of the newer libraries such as Dan Dean\'s Woodwinds? I find that I use the light keyswitched versions almost exclusively. I have 512 MB of RAM and find that the full versions of each instrument use about 12% of memory in the Dan Dean\'s Woodwind library. As I like to blend sounds from AO and Xsample libraries with DDW, I find that this is too much of a memory hit. IMO there is not much difference between the full and light versions when blended with the other libraries.

Even using the \'lite\' versions, I still can\'t do a full orchestration. I have to do the strings, harp and percussion and then mute many of these tracks and then do brass and woodwinds. This is not the best way to work! I would like to see more mono versions to save more memory.

A combination of lite and mono versions using keyswitches for articulations would be great to help with composing and orchestrating. Then I would load the full versions for mixdown time. It would be nice to have the full versions follow the lite keyswitched setup so you can swap in the better versions without a change in volumes, sounds, etc. By the way, Dan Dean did do this on the Woodwind library. I just wish it had mono versions.

Any other thoughts on this?

I never use \"lite\" versions on any instrument. To me, they sound terrible. I have 700 megs of RAM, and I have not run out of memory yet. I like to have an instrument with all of the notes availbe as well as the artiulations. My problems is that some instruments sound too artificial, i.e. string sections, and brass. When I get giga stings and Dan Dean Brass, I\'ll see how this will affect my memory usage.

As for stereo and mono: I think there should be more mono sounds. I seem to have a slight problem when panning certain instruments. When they are in stereo, something don\'t sound quite right. Mr. Dean\'s woodwinds work very well, but some of those strings do not. I like pure guitars, but when one of the instruments is panned, it sounds like something was cut off. If an insrument is made for mono, this would be more ideal for panning to one channel exclusively. This may be the reason why many composers are not panning their instruments.

Dan,

I run my system quite clean even including a separate hardware profile for music to get rid of non-essential items and to free IRQ\'s. GigaStudio reports 4% memory used before adding any instruments.

I need most of the articulations loaded as many of the pieces I work on have fast and slow sections in them. I have done what you suggest using the light versions for ensemble work and the full when exposed.

By the way, I can\'t wait to hear some of your demos for the new brass library. Brass is the weakest part of my orchestrations. The woodwinds are quite good and blend well with the other libraries I use.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haydn:
    Dan,

I run my system quite clean even including a separate hardware profile for music to get rid of non-essential items and to free IRQ\'s. GigaStudio reports 4% memory used before adding any instruments.

Hi Haydn,

Hold on just a little bit longer.

DD
    I need most of the articulations loaded as many of the pieces I work on have fast and slow sections in them. I have done what you suggest using the light versions for ensemble work and the full when exposed.

By the way, I can\'t wait to hear some of your demos for the new brass library. Brass is the weakest part of my orchestrations. The woodwinds are quite good and blend well with the other libraries I use.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go Back to forum