• Register
  • Help

Topic: Trio for Piano Alone

Trio for Piano Alone

Hi All,

Here is the second of my summer pieces that I'm finishing up. A little easier on the ears/brain than the last one, I think.

Program Notes:
    Any thought, idea, perception, or being can easily give the appearance of being a singular construct: an indivisible whole. However this observation is rarely accurate. Any one emotion, opinion, ideology, or revelation is most often capable of being divided into components consisting of our values, experiences, states of mind, and psyches. Similarly any one person, who may appear to be of a single mind, is generally comprised of any number of distinct Jungian Archetypes acting in concord.
    This piece is an expression of the un-oneness inherent in any oneness. It is, like us all, a product of multiple (in this case three) individual ideas, each with their own character, and played in their own set of keys, that act together to give the illusion of an indivisible whole.

P.S. Anyone who would like to revist Voices will find a better quality Mp3 now.

Re: Trio for Piano Alone

Hi Matt,

Piano composition at its best! Lyrical and flowing - yet with plenty of interesting twists. For me, this has the feel of an expansive landscape which I suppose is also a product of multiplicity.

A great 'listen' - much enjoyed! Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Graham

Hi Matt.
    No doubt: when I want to listen to something fresh in contemporary music I go for the Listening Room to find my way.
    There are too many piano solo performers/composers (which we are flooded by in Italy) iterating their clichey music, this really stands out from the bunch.
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Hi guys,

I'm glad you liked it! After my last piece turned out to be a bit challenging I was worried. :-)

Informal poll: do you prefer these sort of Program Notes to the more theoretical ones?

Thanks again,

P.S. Fabio, tu habiti in Italia? Che bellisimo! Mia Fidanzata e io habiamo studiato gli'italiano per trei anni. Vogliamo habitare nel'roma in il futuro!

Hello there Matthew,

I'm glad you posted the Program Notes; I always enjoy having something to think about when listening to music (whether it really relates to the music directly or not )

You've certainly achieved the feel of a solid, undivided piece, which I would expect to be difficult for a piano trio (never having written one myself). I'm not an avid listener of piano ensembles, so when I hear of a piano ensemble of 3 or more players, I expect to hear...well, an unorganized mess, honestly. But this was quite coherent and a very enjoyable listen!

For a technical comment, I felt the reverb level certainly added a nice atmosphere to the piece as well!

Thank you very much for your posting!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Sounds good. What piano library and reverb did you use to record this? It sounds brilliant.

Thanks. It's just GPO Steinway, and the reverb from Kontact Player 2. I also used an eq to boost the bass a little but that's it.

Also I almost forgot: For anyone who would like a look at the score, you can do so here:

Go Back to forum