• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Itching to hear the sounds I bought.

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Itching to hear the sounds I bought.

Hallo - first time here and I'm a bit confused. Last week I downloaded GPO 4 after hearing all the lovely demos on the Garritan web site. I just bought a new version of Cubase and was so excited to start composing. A week's gone by and I still have n't heard a single sound yet. I just can't figure out how to get to hear any of the sounds I bought yet alone work with them. Can anyone suggest a tutorial as to how to get started?
    The "How To Get Started" manual I got with the download was not much help.
    I'm so frustrated.

Re: Itching to hear the sounds I bought.

Hi, Drumbeat

Sorry to hear you're having problems. The first question that comes to mind - have you ever used VST instruments in Cubase before? If not, you need to go through Cubase's Tutorials on using them. It would be impractical to write out the whole process in a reply when Steinberg already has the info you need in the Cubase Help files.

Please take a look for those - Using Aria and GPO4 wouldn't be any different than using other plug-in instruments, so I do feel you need to first get up to speed on the basics of using music software.

Once you're more up on the basics, we'll be able to help you more.

Randy

I've got Cubase and GPO4, I don't have a problem. Can you let us know what you're doing so we can help
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

OK - Thanks Randy, yeah I think I'll spend tomorrow with the Steinberg Manual and the Tutorials. I think that's where I'm going wrong. Cheers for the reply though. I'll let you know how I got on after the weekend. This looks like a useful forum to be around.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    I've got Cubase and GPO4, I don't have a problem. Can you let us know what you're doing so we can help
    Thanks for replying Derek. I think I'll spend the day with the Steinberg Tutorials and try and see if I can suss out what I'm doing wrong or not doing. It's good to know you have Cubase and GPO4 and it works fine. I'm just getting back into working with Cubase again after a break of 8 years or so and it's all a bit different. I might need to do some swatting before I panick and fret. Thanks though.

Excellent, Drumbeat - Knowing now that you've been away from Cubase for 8 years means you do have a lot of catching up to do. I'm sure once you understand how "soft synths" work in a general way, you'll find Aria/GPO4 working basically like all the rest of them.

Meanwhile, yes, you have found a very helpful community here at these Forums, and you already have Cubase veteran Buckshead willing to help you out. You've got it made!

Randy

Hi friends... Well it's a month later and still haven't heard any of my Garitan sounds!
    I've read the Cubase and GPO manuals and as far as I can tell I'm doing everything by the book. I've learned a lot about the new Cubase and VST's and how they work.
    I also bought "EZ Drummer" which works fine within Cubase. I can hear, see and use all the Steinberg sound library that came with Cubase ( Helion, Groove Agent, etc )as well as the sounds that I got with the Cakewalk sound card.
    But still nothing from the Aria.
    I even re-installed GPO4 and the Aria.
    I can see the sound files in Windows Explorer. I think the problem lies in that Aria doesn't seem to know where to find the sounds. Is there something I need to do to direct the Aria interface to the sounds?
    When I try and put sounds into each channel of the Aria (ie each new instrument) I get a message saying Aria can't find the sounds.
    I'm at my wits end!
    Any ideas?

Hi Drumbeat,

I understand your frustration and I sure hope you will find the solution quickly.

I also work with GPO4 and Cubase 5, and I have no problems.
    8 years is a long time to stay away from Cubase so maybe you just forgot how to set things up.
    The new version of Cubase might also be different in some small details from your previous one.
    I also upgraded recently and was confused by such changes.

Another possibilty is:
    Are you trying to start a new project or are you trying to open an existing one you created with the earlier version of Cubase?

It might help to sort this problem out if you posted screen shots of the steps you take
    from loading Aria with F11 and putting it all up in the project window with the open inspector.

The screen shots might reveal something that you have overlooked.

Hope this helps!

~Yudit~

Since you have EZ Drummer working and 'sounding' I assume you are loading it as a VST instrument in Cubase? Are you seeing ARIA in the VST instrument list as an optional instrument there? Or is it that you can load ARIA, but none of the instruments are listed?

I'm trying to decipher what the actual problem is.

If its that the instruments aren't showing in the ARIA player after you load it as a VST plugin, then:

http://www.garritan.com/faq/index.ph...=76&artlang=en

Apparently, the only way to point the ARIA player to where the library is, is to manually edit the registry. Unfortunately, the registry keys aren't listed on this Support page.

Yes I have Aria in the list of VST instruments and I can see it OK and load instruments into the different channels. When I try and load some of the instruments from GPO into the Aria I get a message saying it "can't find them and more info in the log"
    I do get to open up some instruments into the Aria but they never work.When I press down on my keyboard controller I can see that an event is happening as I see it on the Cubase transport bar and a red light on the Aria but I hear nothing. Still haven't heard one single Garitan sound yet after a month.

Go Back to forum