• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB soprano saxes in Aria-- some notes insensitive to pitch bend

Share/Bookmark

pitch bend issues in aria player with jabb

OK, so I found a post concerning setting the pitch bend range in the JABB "STD.bank.xml" file, and it seemed to work just fine yesterday. Now, however, some notes of some of the instruments appear to ignore the pitch bend messages altogether, or "see" it the first time on that note, but not the 2nd time, etc. Altogether erratic behavior. +/-2 half steps is just not musical or intuitive at all, IMHO. I was wondering if maybe it was because I had it set at +50/-100 (i.e., asymmetrical settings), but reset them to +/-100 with no improvement. Any ideas on how to fix this? I really would like to be able to set the upper and lower to different settings if I can.

-TC

ps. Notwithstanding the thread title, it seems after more messing around with it, that it happens on all the horn patches.
    Last edited by grebnar; 07-11-2010 at 09:48 AM.

Re: JABB soprano saxes in Aria-- some notes insensitive to pitch bend

Hi grebnar,

try to lower the pitchbend range.
    It is in semi tones so +/- 100 is a little bit more than 8 octaves.
    Try with 48 (4 octaves) it should be enough.
    Pascal Maheux, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montréal. http://www.plogue.com

Hi Pascal --

Thanks for the reply. Are you talking about this...

<Define name="$bend_up" value="100" />
    <Define name="$bend_down" value="-100" />

in this folder:

C:\Program Files\Garritan\Jazz and Big Band 3\Banks\1Standard.xml

...?

When it was working, each 100 was giving me one semitone. I had it set to +50 and -100 because I wanted to limit the bend above the note (less editing later). In fact, I made a note of the number that this was set to in the XML, so I could undo the damage if I screwed something up. It was at +/-200 by default and was giving me a whole step in either direction.
    Maybe we're talking about two different places in the program resources? The place I changed it was in the above folder.

Incidentally, is it my imagination, or does your sig indicate that you work for the company that develops Aria? If you do, it would be great if you could pass along a suggestion to have both fine and course control over the amount of pitch bend when it gets worked into the GUI, maybe a numerical control that you could type values into. I'm finding that if I get this to work, it will be a MAJOR improvement over the engine GJBB was using before.

I hope this isn't too long. Thanks again for the reply.

-TC

I'm sorry.
    I don't know what I was taking about.
    I'm on vacation and I didn't take the time to look into the bank file.

You are right, the pitch bend range is in cents, so a value of 100 = 1 semi tone.

Now, however, some notes of some of the instruments appear to ignore the pitch bend messages altogether, or "see" it the first time on that note, but not the 2nd time, etc. Altogether erratic behavior.
    Can you give me an example that I can try to reproduce on my side?

In the next update of the ARIA Player, there will be pitch bend range control with a predefined list of values. Having a numerical edit box would be great...

ha ha! Enjoy your vacation!

But when you get back, try to set the pitch bend up to, say, 50 and pitch bend down to 100. More precisely, I set the defaults to +50/-100, and all trombone patches to +50/-300 (restoring it to +50/-100 after the trombones, of course). That's what created the problem for me. As for me, I may try to reload the library in case something glitchy happened when I installed it.
    Have fun!

-TC

Quote Originally Posted by grebnar View Post
    More precisely, I set the defaults to +50/-100, and all trombone patches to +50/-300 (restoring it to +50/-100 after the trombones, of course). That's what created the problem for me.
    No problem with these settings for me.
    If you still have problems, you can share your bank file.
    Make sure there's no error in your xml tags.

Hey Pascal --

Not sure what the problem is on my end, unless I need to put a plus sign in front of the pitch up value. Hmmmm. It's a weird problem. Thanks for trying it anyway. Possibly a typo somewhere. Thanks again.

--TC

Quote Originally Posted by grebnar View Post
    Not sure what the problem is on my end, unless I need to put a plus sign in front of the pitch up value.
    Here are 2 differents bend define from my file:
    Code:
    <Define name="$bend_up"    value="50" />
    <Define name="$bend_down"  value="-300" />

<Define name="$bend_up"    value="50" />
    <Define name="$bend_down"  value="-100" />
    Possibly a typo somewhere.
    Probably.

Go Back to forum