• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: RMX slices up Clyde Stubblefield ?

Share/Bookmark

Talking RMX slices up Clyde Stubblefield ?

I wonder what that would look like?

I've just seen a show (see below) about this fellow Clyde Stubblefield (whose apparently the most samled "illegally" drummer in the world). He was James Brown's Drummer , (Hot as a chili in a Sahara dessert,......... and he's had more of his one and two bar break beat samples ripped off in more hip hop/ rap and dj jam songs than any other drummer in history. . Not to mention,...... He's also had quite a few of his sampled breaks used.......(I imagine legally)....... by quite a few big names as well, in their songs.

For whatever reason,....... this guy just evokes magic in his grooves.

Yet for all practical purposes, he's been paid pretty much almost nothing for his work.Yet he still gigs today down in the south with the same chops he's always had.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Spectrasonics got a hold of him and (and a few other greats) and sliced em and diced em into RMX Glory.........Forever inscribing his greatness into a true and legal, usable, sonicallly respectable musical instrument and creative template as only Spectrasonics can deliver. Wouldn't that be something!!!!

Just a thought.........check out this link.........

http://www.ethanhein.com/wp/2009/the...-drummer-break

The show I saw was very interesting called "Copyright Criminal" Questioning the right of DJ's to Reuse Sampled Music for their songs:
    http://www.justpressplay.net/movie-r...criminals.html

Re: RMX slices up Clyde Stubblefield ?

I assume that you are aware that Toontrack has already done (legally) some of what you suggested? Their Funkmasters product features Clyde and his sampled drumkit. See:
    http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=37
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

"Yet he still gigs today down in the south"

Ha Ha! I can understand and appreciate the goodwill behind your post but you should do a Google first.

http://www.myspace.com/clydestubblefieldband

Among numerous activities he's also part of the traveling trio for the NPR show What Do You Know. I only say this because I hear him on the radio enough that he's not a forgotten misfortunate to me but an older active musician. The fact is, there aren't too many instrumentalist band members anywhere collecting royalties for their contributions to songs they didn't write. If the people sampling paid up they'd be paying James Browns estate not Clyde.

I respect Clyde for keeping active

Wink Re: RMX slices up Clyde Stubblefield ?

Quote Originally Posted by playz123 View Post
    I assume that you are aware that Toontrack has already done (legally) some of what you suggested? Their Funkmasters product features Clyde and his sampled drumkit. See:
    http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=37
    I did not know this... thanks for the knowledge!!!!

THe question always begs to asked is it anything that would remotely resemble anything that Spectrasonics would put out with him within RMX..... Just curious.

Cool Re: RMX slices up Clyde Stubblefield ?

Quote Originally Posted by impactjones View Post
    "Yet he still gigs today down in the south"

Ha Ha! I can understand and appreciate the goodwill behind your post but you should do a Google first.

http://www.myspace.com/clydestubblefieldband

The fact is, there aren't too many instrumentalist band members anywhere collecting royalties for their contributions to songs they didn't write. If the people sampling paid up they'd be paying James Browns estate not Clyde.
    Interestingly enough, I learned about this fact as well. How sad,.... but you are correct. As true as this is, the history of some of these songs in question however, is that Clyde is actually the guy who got the songs started.

He laid down a groove, and other musicians joined in, and then James Brown started singing away. This happened on a number of their most famous songs.

Without Clyde..... they never would have come into existence........ yet.... you are correct....... if any royalties ever get paid .......unless the laws get changed.... he'll never see a dime of them,......... they'll all go to James Brown's Estate

What a pisser!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Patthoven View Post
    I did not know this... thanks for the knowledge!!!!

THe question always begs to asked is it anything that would remotely resemble anything that Spectrasonics would put out with him within RMX..... Just curious.
    Even though I own and admire both products, my own feeling is that in this instance the Toontrack kit offers a slightly more versatile approach than Stylus in some respects because one has the samples of his kit at their disposal, a huge number of MIDI files he helped create to trigger the drums, and of course you can also use countless other MIDI files as well, including your own. Stylus is more of a loop oriented program, albeit a extremely versatile one that has some amazing features. So the approaches are just different. But in this case, personally I get a wider range of use out of the kit than I would out of 'loops', in Stylus or out, and can 'play' his drums with his files or my own or countless others. And I actually have used his kit on more than one pop song I've produced, so can certainly recommend the product to other Toontrack SD2 or EZD users....................frank
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

While i totally dig the Toontrack stuff and use it in all of my productions there is a certain feeling of space, air and togetherness that can only be captured by a loop especially when it comes to celebrity drummers like Clyde.
    The frequency buildup in repeating hits on cymbals or hihats cant be totally recreated with separate samples.

Re: RMX slices up Clyde Stubblefield ? a little OT

NOt to digress, but I actually did a gig with Clyde in the late 90s. I was playing in a band and our drummer was double booked. I go to the gig, and Clyde Stubblefield was behind the set. Pretty impressive. It was very simple playing, but extremely infectious grooves that the crowd liked.
    Sincerely,

Jonathan
    www.hollandaudio.com

Thanks for linking to my Funky Drummer post. I agree with you, legally licensed sample packages based on the Funky Drummer and other classic Clyde Stubblefield breaks would be a great gift to the music world. Unfortunately, Clyide Stubblefield doesn't own the rights to the master recordings or the publishing, James Brown's estate does -- as a session musician, Stubblefield was in a "work for hire" situation. So any royalties from such a collection would go to James Brown's estate. If you really want to show the funky drummer love, you should donate directly to the fund that's helping to cover his medical expenses. http://clydestubblefield.chipin.com/clyde-stubblefield

Quote Originally Posted by Patthoven View Post
    I wonder what that would look like?
    Like this, probably:

http://www.numericalsound.com/clyde-stubblefield.html

You can slice Sly Dunbar there too...

Go Back to forum