• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help to setup live performance for church

Share/Bookmark

Help to setup live performance for church

Hi guys,
    So I am going to be getting back to playing at church (spent the last 2 years leading kids worship which was a blast- although all karaoke-video stuff- no live playing).
    I want to be able to use all my Spectrasonics stuff at once and would like suggestions on a nice Logic setup (not sure if using Mainstage at this point). I simply want to quickly move between Omnisphere and/or Stylus (with the option to have Stylus running phrases on the lower section of my keyboard/Omni on top). What is a smart and effective way to set this up? Am I able to "latch" a Stylus beat on the bottom keys or do I have to hold on for dear life? Curious as to what others are doing for live performance.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Help to setup live performance for church

Quote Originally Posted by Javaj View Post
    Hi guys,
    So I am going to be getting back to playing at church (spent the last 2 years leading kids worship which was a blast- although all karaoke-video stuff- no live playing).
    I want to be able to use all my Spectrasonics stuff at once and would like suggestions on a nice Logic setup (not sure if using Mainstage at this point). I simply want to quickly move between Omnisphere and/or Stylus (with the option to have Stylus running phrases on the lower section of my keyboard/Omni on top). What is a smart and effective way to set this up? Am I able to "latch" a Stylus beat on the bottom keys or do I have to hold on for dear life? Curious as to what others are doing for live performance.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi Javaj

Try to get hold of a few more people that can play instruments a drummer and a bases would be great.

If your playing keys stick to piano or piano with nice layers on it, its always good when you play live to involve as many musicians possible,

Omnisphere Trill, and Stylus are at best when played along side with other musicians.

Omni Trill and style are also the best when your alone with them in your studio creating super tracks on your system and getting lost in the voices.

keep creating

novaburst

Gigabyte EP43UD3L. Core2Duo3gighz6MBcatch.ram 6gighz DDR800hz.seagate1500TBHDD Soundcard:M-AUDIO Fasttrack Pro USB. OS windows764bit.Host Cubase5update. Wavelabstudio 6. Hypersonic with modules. Omnisphere. VST sound collection. Haloinsonic.
    Hardware:dual monitors. controlFreek 16 channel. Samson Cvalve. BasePodLine6. BEHRINGER 8channal mixer.NAD AMP. JBL speakers.Instruments: yamahaP80. yamahaSY35. fender strat. washburn acustic guitar, main intrument: yamaha six stringTBR base guitar.

Actually, I should clarify- we have a full band. What we don't have is a synth player (that will be me). I am hoping to inject some new sounds into our sets- and want to use my synths together in a smart way. We have drums, bass, electric and acoustic guitar, lead piano, and 4 vocalists- then there is me

Ok nice you have a full band.

well you already started out in a good way by playing phrases theres not much you can do with Omni apart from phrases,

As a keyboard player you will need to stay close to the piano but you need some nice keybaord sounds Omni is more creative sounds and may or may not fit with the Praise and worship songs unless you use phrases and play along when the the church breaks out into worship, there are some nice voices in Omni that can help worshiping and praising.

but as for playing along with songs from start to finish you may need another synth with some colourfull keyboard sounds that are more on the basic side this way you want sound out of place.

Good luck

novaburst

Gigabyte EP43UD3L. Core2Duo3gighz6MBcatch.ram 6gighz DDR800hz.seagate1500TBHDD Soundcard:M-AUDIO Fasttrack Pro USB. OS windows764bit.Host Cubase5update 5.1.1 Wavelabstudio 6. Hypersonic with modules. Omnisphere. VST sound collection. Haloinsonic.
    Hardware:dual monitors. controlFreek 16 channel. Samson Cvalve. BasePodLine6. BEHRINGER 8channal mixer.NAD AMP. JBL speakers.Instruments: yamahaP80. yamahaSY35. fender strat. washburn acustic guitar, main intrument: yamaha six stringTBR base guitar.

I see what you mean. I had a practice last night and did find it tough to quickly find the more basic bread and butter pads that fit well behind the scenes- although I love Afterglow- that has to be one of my favorites- especially with the morphing harmonics on the sustain- just beautiful (and with the mod wheel to bring up the presence- I can do a lot when the lead vocalist sings to get behind her sound).

I am now going through and making my own "project" for just this purpose- so at least I will be able to use Omni/Trillian a lot (and may have to break down and use some of my NI stuff as well).

Stylus will be a tougher one to integrate seamlessly- I am thinking I will have to learn Mainstage (from Logic) and use a second controller to use it properly (although my Akai LPK25 could sit nicely on top of my X-Station).
    Thanks again for responding.

Your pretty tooled up with a lot of nice gear.

Playing live or in a church does restrict us from total expression. what is allowed is some what limited unless of course it is pre arranged befor hand, Omni has been out for some time with some old Atmosphere sounds still hanging around in there but they are still futur sounds and can only be used in certain live events like club music, modern jazz, RnB, electro, people who listen or go to these type of events are more used to these type of sounds

but in a more basic background pre arrangment before hand is a good idea, when you practice
    with the rest of the musicians and singers you can introduce them to some of your new sounds
    and ideas of what you want to do and how you would like it done and this is what im going to be playing and so on.

but you have got some nice tools

Nice

novaburst

Gigabyte EP43UD3L. Core2Duo3gighz6MBcatch.ram6gighz DDR2800hz.seagate1500TBHDD Soundcard:M-AUDIO Fasttrack Pro USB. OS windows764bit.Host Cubase5update 5.1.1. Wavelabstudio 6. Hypersonic with modules. Omnisphere. VST sound collection. HALion Sonic VST Workstation upgrade.
    Last edited by novaburst; 07-16-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks Nova,
    Just in case you do have more ideas, here is what I own
    Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, NI Komplete 5, Dimension Pro (I used to be a Sonar guy but then switched to Mac- this was the only thing I could re-use from my Sonar license), and Sampletank XT (with a bunch of add on packs- none which are good for this use). All running through the latest Logic Studio (thus all the extra synths that come with that as well).

I actually sold off my Roland Sonic Cell to buy the Spectrasonics stuff (I know- I would have had a lot of complimentary sounds for church use on that). I might have to look around and see if there are any dedicated grouips for church musicians as I may find more resources in this area (I just found BWacks forum- part of David Crowder Band- but they focus on Reason).

Thanks again buddy!

I would love to do something like this, but my keyboard skills are sadly lacking. If I were you, I would set it up like this:

Pick up a Korg Nanokontrol, then check out Spectrasonics tutorial video on latch and trigger modes in Live Mode for Omnisphere. Consider investing in a second keyboard to make use of the split keyboard functionality in Live Mode. M-Audio has some great USB keyboard controller units for cheap. That alone will do 90% of what you want to do.

Secondly, go out and buy either one of Akai's APC units for Ableton Live, or Novation's Launchpad. I believe any of those units will have a scaled down version of Ableton Live which would be an awesome platform for launching beats in Stylus, as well as sequences you might come up with in Omnisphere.

Lastly, do your sound guy a favor and invest in a multi-channel audio interface so that he'll be able to mix you well. The more the merrier, depending on the savviness off your audio personnel. The other thing that this will do is make sure you can give your drummer a lot of whatever beats you intend to use, because if your drummer can't keep tempo with the loop then it's all just going to sound like crap.....

Most of the keyboard players in praise bands that I come into contact with tend to stick closely to the old piano & strings layered. This seems to be effective especially "between tracks" when the worship leader may be speaking or praying aloud to continue the mood or worship, before leading the band into the next track.
    Not sure what your master keyboard is, but I'd at least get a good piano sound and then use one of the old Atmosphere string patches in Omni for these sections.
    Of course each church and band have their own styles and yours may be different.

I can understand you wanting to use RMX but you'll have to have a really tight band, otherwise everything will be going out of time.

My biggest thought though is that you should talk it over with your bassist, drummer & pianist to see what you can contribute to the overall sound, not what your synths can contribute. After all, you are not there to showcase Spectrasonics gear, but to use your gift for His glory as part of an already established worship group.
    A standard congregation are not going to be blown away by autopanned filter sweeps but by the overall emotion of the lyrics, the tightness of the band, softer and louder passages and so on.
    Hope you get something good together.
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Sunday Update- well, this was my first time back after 2 years- and it went very well. I ended up using Afterglow as my only Spectrasonics patch (used my NI B4II for Trading My Sorrows- would love to hear someone who actually is a Hammond player do that one- or get a transcription), and the rest of the pads/strings I defaulted to Logic/EXS24 (or rather the included predone patches inside Mainstage 2).
    I must say, with Mainstage running everything- it went smoothly- I was able to successfully navigate through 5 patches throughout one song (Oh Praise Him from David Crowder Band). Even cooler, I was able to take the original piano intro (drop it down a key) and used it as the intro (created a custom patch in EXS24 as I couldn't figure out Ultrabeat). All in all, it was a great time to step back into playing- and it really helped fill in the gaps behind the main keyboard (Fantom X).
    Thanks for your guys suggestions- I have decided to keep Mainstage as the interface and work on going through my VI's and saving channel strips for all my favorites (sorry, that is Logic-speak). I could see being able to export/import Omnisphere Projects as a great way to exchange favorite sounds with other keyboard players- so hopefully that is a feature that shows up down the road- it would make it easier to work on trying to replicate certain sounds.

Go Back to forum