Topic: Something weird with SONAR 8.5.3/64 and SONAR 8.5.3/32 bits

Share/Bookmark

Something weird with SONAR 8.5.3/64 and SONAR 8.5.3/32 bits

Steady:
    Windows 7/64 bits, E-Mu1616M driver.

Changed projects:
    Sonar 8.5.3 32 bits plays everything smoothly - ARIA for 32 bits
    Sonar 8.5.3 64 bits no sound at all - ARIA for 64 bits

It is all the same, except the version of SONAR.

I have been looking and searching all day for the solution, but .... only the 32 bits version of SONAR gives me audible output. Anybody any clue to this.

Raymond - maybe that inflatable pub is a better option for me.....

Re: Something weird with SONAR 8.5.3/64 and SONAR 8.5.3/32 bits

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Steady:
    Windows 7/64 bits, E-Mu1616M driver.
    The Emu driver and hardware need to be 64bit as well.

EDIT: I had to buy a new 64bit soundcard to run SONAR 8.5 64bit. As well as a new Windows 7 compatible MIDI interface. Grrr.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Chip "Reberclark" has hit upon your answer, Raymond.

I have a 64 bit machine, but had never experimented with Sonar 64 bit until recently. I finally became curious to try it out, since so many people at the Sonar Forum use 64 bit.

Won't work for me - because my sound card doesn't have a 64 bit driver. I wrote to Alesis asking why on their website they claim this interface is ready for both 32 and 64 bit - they skirted around a direct answer to that. They just said that if I wanted to run a 64 bit program I'd have to use ASIO4ALL, since their driver is only 32 bit. ASIO4ALL - OK in a pinch I guess, but it isn't really an Asio driver.

I tried it - at least I got Sonar 64 bit to run, Aria 64 bit along with it - But my CPU usage was only 2% better on a large project, and my Disc usage was 1% worse - !

So, I made a hasty retreat back to Sonar 32 bit, since I was going to have to give up at least 1/4 of my plug-ins if I stayed in 64 bit anyway. Not worth it to me! 32 bit is doing me just fine for now.

Randy

Some great comments here! I am glad to get this info for I have been toying with moving up to 64 bit and Windows 7. Though my machine is a bit old it is still built on an AMD 64X2 4200+ dual core processor. But, If sound drivers and Sonar are not getting along with 64 bit and my midi USB connector does not have a 64 bit driver than, I guess its Windows XP and 32 Bit for me on my music machine.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Rich,

As Randy said you can run SONAR 32 bit on a 64bit machine and 64bit OS. I am running 32bit video software on my 64 bit machine/OS and 64bit audio software on the same machine. Both SONAR and SONY VEGAS PRO (the video software) include 32bit and 64 bit versions for the same purchase.

To clarify - SONAR includes a 32bit and a 64bit version / Vegas includes a 32 and 64bit version. They don't charge extra for the two versions.

I would recommend going to Windows 7 64 bit on a 64 bit machine but if you don't want to upgrade your audio hardware/interfaces/drivers yet then just run the 32bit versions - they should work fine. Windows 7 blows XP out of the water - I held on to XP all the way to Windows 7 - skipped the Vista thing entirely - but Windows 7 is just the best.

Hope that helps and was clearer than it felt when I was typing it!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Hi, Rich

"...If sound drivers and Sonar are not getting along with 64 bit..."

But you would need to check specifically about your interface and its driver. It might be fine. I was only reporting that my unit, the Alesis iO|2 turned out to not have a 64 bit compatible driver. Maybe you'll luck out.

As Chip said, both 32 and 64 bit Sonar are included on the installation disc. The two versions can co-exist on your computer. Many people at the Sonar Forum keep and use both versions. When they want to use a favorite plug-in which isn't 64 bit, they just move their work into the 32 bit version. The project file doesn't care which bit you're working in, that doesn't change at all. There's no sonic improvement, you "just" have the ability to use more RAM - and of course that's helpful to people using a large number of VSTis in a given project.

You should find out if your interface has a 64 bit driver--maybe it does!

Randy

I have read so much about problems running music apps in 64 bit including Sonar. Most of the issues revolve around trying to run a 32 bit plugin and availability of 64 bit hardware drivers. I don't know if any of these is the cause of the problem Raymond describes but this would be my first port of call.

Is the E-Mu1616M using a native, updated Windows 7 64 bit driver? I tried a search and discovered that there is no Windows 7 64 bit driver available.

http://www.emu.com/support/files/dow...008&Platform=1

I agree with Randy about ASIO4All and would stay away from this. I know that some people claim ASIO4All works for them but there is virtually always some reduced functionality. Personally, I would change my hardware if there were no 64 bit drivers available by now. I realise that this may not be an option for many people, I'm just giving my personal preference.

I use Sonar 8.5 in 32 bit within my windows 7 64 bit environment. My reason for this is that one of my major, favourite plugins is Altiberb which, presently, is 32 bit. I am staying well away from attempts to use the likes of BitBridge and jBridge. Again I have read some people claim one or the other works for them but, again, there is usually some reduced function. Again, I realise that this may not be relevant to Raymond's issue.

I'm just illustrating that Sonar 8.5 in 32 bit mode works for me until the world of 64 bit software, plugins and drivers matures.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I give it a try to summarize the whole problem again.

System:

Intel i7, hyperthreading, 2.66 Ghz, blablabla.....
    DDR3 RAM 12 Gb
    ATi Radeon HD4350 Video
    2 internal HD's 500 Gb each
    2 internal DVD-R/W
    3 external USB HD's 500 Gb each (backup and other less common stuff)
    E-Mu 1616M Pci sound system

Software:
    Windows 7 - Pro / X64
    Sonar 8.5.3 - 32 bits version along side the
    Sonar 8.5.3 - 64 bits version - both installed
    E-Mu 1616M driver, the latest 64 bits driver - beta version (see: http://www.emu.com)

Problem:

with Sonar 32 bits it plays back - ARIA / 86 version
    with Sonar 64 bits it doesn't - ARIA / 64 bits version

Everything is the same, except SONAR (same software version).
    Arguments like "why should you use 64 bits systems and that much RAM" aren't accepted. Since we have 64 bits, I want using them. Period.

Thank you folks for your replies, while I was asleep (a nice thing those time zones!!!),

Raymond

Hi, Michael - "...I'm just illustrating that Sonar 8.5 in 32 bit mode works for me until the world of 64 bit software, plugins and drivers matures..."

That exactly sums up my own current philosophy about Sonar 32 versus 64 bits. Why lose the use of so many things we want to use but which don't work in 64 bit? The people who go back and forth using the two versions of Sonar for one project are willing to fiddle around more than I am. It doesn't appeal to me to schlep a project back and forth like that.

Bitbridge is built into Sonar and theoretically bridges 32 bit apps automatically so they'll work in Sonar 64, but it doesn't always do the job, and there's a pretty bad thing about it - the menu at the top of plug-in GUIs doesn't function.

When I was experimenting with Sonar 64, I tried Jbridge - and its creator helped me with a number of emails. I had to give up. It was a very long, convoluted process trying to make it all work - After hours of moving .dll files around, scanning and re-scanning, I still didn't have everything I wanted, so I gave up on that.

Raymond, when I had Sonar 64 working, Aria 64 worked perfectly. That wasn't a problem. When it was at first, it was because my interface needed a 64 bit driver--as I described in my earlier post. I had to use ASIO4ALL to make it work.

The only spec in your system description that is the concern is your interface's driver. I know you say your Emu driver is up to date - but somehow it's still not giving you full functionality. - ? -

So, based on my experience, I know Aria 64 works in Sonar 64 - The issue isn't the Aria .dll file itself.

Randy

It works!!!. Uninstalled all SONAR elements (incl. register). Uninstalled all EMU driver elements. Re-installed (in this order) : EMU driver (the latest W7/64 bits beta driver), SONAR 32 bits, SONAR 64 bits, updated both to 8.5.3 (from earlier downloads).

Made a test project with ARIA Multi 64 and some instruments, output to synth tracks, etc..... and played it. Though the EMU soundsystem isn't showing at the ASIO strip some activity, there is music.

Somewhere I'd read that Altiverb works under SONAR 8.5.3. /64 bits, so I tried to load that.
    OK, at loading time there is "SONAR ..(not responding)...." but after a while the windows comes back with Altiverb. Altiverb works!!!!!

Maestro, some chocolate cakes overhere please,

Raymond

Go Back to forum