• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do you navigate within the new layout?

Share/Bookmark

Question How do you navigate within the new layout?

I have two shortcuts to this forum. One is for my user page to see my subscriptions.
    The other is for the Garritan libraries forum to see the new topics.

With this layout however, one cannot see with one glance all the new topics and posts, as only one is shown with the lightened bulb. Entering a sub forum (like general discussion) one can see sometimes more than one new post. It seems also that one has to mark read forums oneself.
    I find this kind of navigation a bit clumsy and time consuming.

I wonder why the previous option of ‘Today’s active topics’ was removed.
    With it one did get ALL the new posts and threads (from all forums) on ONE page and could go directly to that specific forum. One never missed a post and the list was updated automatically as well.

How do you navigate around??

~Yudit~

Re: How do you navigate within the new layout?

Hello, Yudit

Yes, there have certainly been some changes with these NS Forums. The motivation was apparently to tighten security. At first there were posts expressing various degrees of dismay over the changes, and very recently there was a thread about how to get rid of the new tool bar that appears at the bottom of the screen.

But now, after some small adjustments were made, we seem to be settling in OK for the most part.

#1 thing to do is to stay signed in. When you do, threads which have new posts you haven't looked at are in bold print.

You really need to ask for email notification through a setting in your control panel. That way you'll never be left in the dark about a new post having been added to a thread you're subscribed to. Once you follow the email link to read and maybe reply to the new posts, all new topics will be in bold print-as per what I said above.

As for the new bottom toolbar which most people aren't finding very useful, you can at least click the arrows at the far right and keep it reduced an unobtrusive little tab.

As before, if you use the menu in the lower left hand corner of a Forum's front page, you can ask to see posts from a chosen period of time.

Doing the above, the Forum is functioning for me as well as it did before.

Try those things - It will work for you if you make a bit of an adjustment to the methods you used before.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    #1 thing to do is to stay signed in. When you do, threads which have new posts you haven't looked at are in bold print.
    You really need to ask for email notification through a setting in your control panel. That way you'll never be left in the dark about a new post having been added to a thread you're subscribed to.
    As before, if you use the menu in the lower left hand corner of a Forum's front page, you can ask to see posts from a chosen period of time.
    Randy
    Hi Randy,

Thanks for responding.

I'm staying signed in all the time, so that's not the problem.
    I also don't need notifications about subscribed threads
    as I can see them at a glance in my user page.

What I am talking about are all the new threads and posts (for unsubscribed threads)
    from all the forums.
    If you want to see those, you have to open separately each forum or sub/forum
    and only then can you really see all new additions.

I know about the option to see posts for a chosen time period,
    but that again has to be done separately within each forum's front page.

So what I'm saying is that you have to move a lot around just to get
    to those new topics you want to see and read.

I'm not against changes and I like the new look of the forum
    but some features were better in the previous layout.

~Yudit~

Hi, Yudit

I looked around for the function you're talking about, and didn't locate it either. I've never used it in the past. I've just visited the various Forums to see what's new, so I wasn't positive where to look for that function. I guess it was in your user control panel?--if so, it doesn't seem to be there now.

It's not fun or easy to have to change our way of doing things, but it looks like you'll have to adapt to using the Forum the way many of us have always used it, visiting each Forum we want to check up on.

Randy

Go Back to forum