• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan PO vs VSampler strings and piano sounds.

Share/Bookmark

Garritan PO vs VSampler strings and piano sounds.

I've been using VSampler in my Sonar sequences for a number of years. I think it's time for a change in my orchestra. Is GPO4 better than VSampler in terms of the sounds?
    thanks,
    Terry

Re: Garritan PO vs VSampler strings and piano sounds.

i'm not sure what sounds are in the vsampler. do you have libraries for it? if so, which ones. Either way, for the money GPO is pretty hard to beat. people might try and rip on it - but it's an ENTIRE orchestra, and now it has it's own player.

also, it depends on what kind of music you're focusing on. if it's cinematic and big, then this might not be enough for you. but if you're looking to get an orchestra and not spend thousands, this is it.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

What's your budget and what kind of a sound are you going for. Garritan is great on a tight budget, and nice for more classical stuff, but I don't care for how it sounds for more hollywood type scores.

With out saying what you're looking for, it's somewhat difficult to say weather or not Garritan is right for you.

I make backing tracks for my church music ministry. In VSampler I have string ensembles, horns, flutes, organ and drums. I play my guitar live and my 5 voice choir sings along. The samples sound nice but the demos they have on the GPO site sound way better. I just wonder if they would sound that good in my Sonar 6 sequences. 150 is definately in my budget. I sure wish GPO had a demo I could try tho. How would you rate GPO against East West Quantum leap orchestra?
    thanks for replying, everyone.
    Peace,
    Terry

I've used both GPO and JABB on a number of sequencing projects for church choir anthems (and hymns for the congregation). They both produce great sounds. As others have pointed out, there is a whole orchestra found in GPO that costs a modest amount of money. In other words, you get a lot of bang for the buck. And like with any other software-based instrumental library, the more time one puts into the sequencing project (adjusting CC levels, reverb, etc), the more "realistic" the overall sound.

Throughout the past few years, I've supplemented the GPO and JABB libraries with other ones. What I really like about GPO and JABB is that they blend really well with the other instrumental libraries. (At least they do to my modest ears.) Personally, I think it's good investment to have a small variety of instrumental libraries just to be able to provide variations in overall sound. But I would start with GPO and expand the instrumental library as money permits.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

That sounds great. I think I'll give it a try. I've not heard of JABB until now. Is it similar to GPO?

thanks again,
    Terry

If it's for background type stuff for church, then I think Garritan is perfect for what you're looking for. I've found it sounds especially good when you combine it with EWQL Symphonic Orchestra. While you may not be able to afford both at the same time, they do seem to compliment each other quite nicely, and I know many people who use the two together.

Smile Re: Garritan PO vs VSampler strings and piano sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by terrysonar View Post
    That sounds great. I think I'll give it a try. I've not heard of JABB until now. Is it similar to GPO?

thanks again,
    Terry
    Apologies. . .

JABB = "Jazz and Big Band" instruments by Garritan and company. It basically has the full compliment of instruments found in a jazz bands: Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Bari Saxes (which can be set up to double with flute, clarinets, etc); trumpets, trombones, drums, electric basses, electric guitars (basic), piano and electric keyboards. For my needs, it serves as a nice complimentary set of instruments to the GPO.

You can check out both libraries and demos at the Garritan web site: Garritan Libraries

Have fun and good luck!
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum