• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How to set up GPO4 in Finale 2011

Share/Bookmark

How to set up GPO4 in Finale 2011

I'm switching from Sibelius 6 to Finale 2011 and am having trouble finding doc for setting up the Finale / GPO4 interface. I'm pretty sure there used to be a tutorial around here somewhere, but I can't find it. (And I'm sure it wasn't for the latest Finale anyway.) The Aria player comes with Finale 2011 so that's no problem (other than having multiple copies to update), but I assume there is something that points to and describes the sound libraries. Would someone point me to the procedure?

If it matters, my current installation is on WinXP but I'll be upgrading to Win7 64 whenever my new PC arrives - hopefully next week.

Pat

Re: How to set up GPO4 in Finale 2011

Hello Pat, I have Finale 2011 with GPO4. As you know, with previous versions of Finale and GPO we had to manually copy and paste .txt and .dll files. With Finale 2011 and GPO4 this isn't necessary.

So, you already have GPO4 installed. If, when installing Finale 2011, you opt to install the Garritan set of instruments, the Aria Player will be added to Finale and this will/should pick up your full GPO4 and everything should be ready to play.

If you opt not to install the Garritan set of instruments there is now a new VST Manager feature in Finale 2011. You can use this to add the Aria Player complete with the GPO4 instruments to Finale. You can find this VST Manager in Finale 2011 through the top menu bar:

MIDI/Audio-Device Setup-Manage VST Plug-ins

In the 'Manage VST Plug-ins' window, click on 'Add' then browse to your Garritan folder. The default windows path is: 'C:\Program Files\Garritan\ARIA Player\VST'. Then locate the 'ARIA Player VST_x86.dll' and 'ARIA Player Multi VST_x86.dll' (if you use the multis). Please note that you will need the x86 and not the x64 as Finale is 32 bit. That's all there is to it, you are now all ready to play.

You can use Finale's 'Setup Wizard' to setup your score with all instruments loaded and assigned to staves. You just enter your notes then enjoy listening to playback. You can find the 'Setup Wizard through: 'File-New-Document with Setup Wizard'.

The first window gives options for various ensemble and document styles. If you prefer to setup your own ensemble/orchestra score, as I do, then just select the document style you want then click 'Next'. This takes you straight to the 'Add or Delete Instrument/s' window Where you can select your Garritan libraries and the instruments you want. That's it.

Hope you enjoy your Finale/GPO4 experience.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    So, you already have GPO4 installed. If, when installing Finale 2011, you opt to install the Garritan set of instruments, the Aria Player will be added to Finale and this will/should pick up your full GPO4 and everything should be ready to play.
    Hmm. I don't recall seeing any such option. At any rate, the Aria player was installed because the subset of Garritan instruments that come with Finale - Garritan Instruments for Finale (GIFF) - uses it. But I don't seem to have access to the full GPO4 library, just the GIFF subset that comes with Finale

... MIDI/Audio-Device Setup-Manage VST Plug-ins
    The Aria player is there and active but it would be for either GIFF or full GPO4.

You can use Finale's 'Setup Wizard' to setup your score with all instruments loaded and assigned to staves. You just enter your notes then enjoy listening to playback. You can find the 'Setup Wizard through: 'File-New-Document with Setup Wizard'.
    The first window gives options for various ensemble and document styles. If you prefer to setup your own ensemble/orchestra score, as I do, then just select the document style you want then click 'Next'. This takes you straight to the 'Add or Delete Instrument/s' window Where you can select your Garritan libraries and the instruments you want. That's it.
    [/QUOTE]

The setup wizard has instrument sets "Garritan Instruments for Finale", "SmartMusic SoftSynth", and "Tapspace Drumline for Finale" - no GPO4.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe View Post

The setup wizard has instrument sets "Garritan Instruments for Finale", "SmartMusic SoftSynth", and "Tapspace Drumline for Finale" - no GPO4.

Pat
    Hello Pat,

Ok, no problem, we'll do this manually.

(1) First, locate the following file on your system: gpofull4instrument.txt

If you are unable to find this file please send me a PM.

(2) Next, you need to enable your system to show all system files and folders so you can access Finale 2011 VST folder. Go to:

Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Folder Options

(3) In the 'Folder Options' window, select: 'Show hidden files folders and drives' then deselect 'Hide protected operating system files'.

(4) Go to: 'C:\Users\M\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale 2011\VST Support'

(5) Copy and paste the 'gpofull4instrument.txt' file into the 'VST Support' folder.

(6) You can now go back to: 'Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Folder Options' and restore the folder options back to as they were previously.

That's it, Finale 2011 should now integrate with the full GPO4.
    Michael

Thanks Micheal. I asked what I thought was a different, but related question on the Finale forum ("What Finale files are needed to support GPO4 and CoMB2?") and got essentially the same answer - I needed gpofull4instrument.txt - plus a download of that file. I had seen reference to it, but thought it was a Finale file. Apparently there is something that prompts the GPO4 installation procedure to load that file and I didn't choose that option. There was also a percussion map file called Garritan.xml.

The person on the Finale forum also sent me a set of CAMB files. He didn't have CoMB2. He thought they might work, but I'm a little leery of trying them.

When I install Finale, GPO4, and CoMB2 on my new PC is this all going to happen automatically?

Pat

When I install Finale, GPO4, and CoMB2 on my new PC is this all going to happen automatically?

Pat
    Hello Pat,

You were right not to install the COMB file you were sent. The .txt files for Garritan libraries in Finale MUST be the correct files for the libraries you have. Anything else just simply will not work.

The following files MUST specifically be in the Finale 2011 VST Support folder if you want these to integrate fully within Finale and be able to use the Finale Setup Wizard:

ARIA Player: ARIA Player VST_x86.dll
    Garritan Ambience: Garritan Ambience.dll

GPO4 library: gpofull4instrument.txt
    COMB2 library: CMB2.txt
    Garritan Instruments for Finale: GIFFinstruments.txt

If you install Finale first, then install your Garritan libraries then, yes, all the above files should be installed automatically and this is exactly what happened for me.

If you install your Garritan libraries first, then install Finale 2011, just the Aria Player and the Garritan Instruments for Finale set will be installed automatically. I think the Garritan Ambience also will be installed but I'm not so sure about this. Both the CMB2.txt and the gpofull4instrument.txt will not be installed automatically. You would need to add both of these manually as I described in my previous post.

Regarding the percussion maps, these can easily be added later but I would suggest getting your Finale 2011 and the full GPO4 and COMB2 singing together first.

Hope this helps.
    Michael

If you install your Garritan libraries first, then install Finale 2011, just the Aria Player and the Garritan Instruments for Finale set will be installed automatically. I think the Garritan Ambience also will be installed but I'm not so sure about this. Both the CMB2.txt and the gpofull4instrument.txt will not be installed automatically. You would need to add both of these manually as I described in my previous post.
    Yes, Garritan Ambience is installed as part of GIFF. CMB2.txt and gpofull4instrument.txt are not only not copied to the (nonexistent) Finale libraries, they apparently aren't even put in some nice convenient place for later copying -at least not with those names.

I think I'll try to reinstall CoMB2 and see what happens. I'm not using it yet so I can't really hurt anything.

< time passes ... tick tick tick ...>

Yup. Reinstalling CoMB2 installed the CMB2.txt file this time. And it's a good thing I did the reinstall 'cause I goofed the first time.

Pat

Yup. Reinstalling CoMB2 installed the CMB2.txt file this time. And it's a good thing I did the reinstall 'cause I goofed the first time.

Pat
    That's good. Glad to hear this is all working.

Yes, Garritan Ambience is installed as part of GIFF. CMB2.txt and gpofull4instrument.txt are not only not copied to the (nonexistent) Finale libraries, they apparently aren't even put in some nice convenient place for later copying -at least not with those names.
    Yes, this is as it is. The GPO4 and JABB2 installers won't add those files to your system if Finale isn't installed. It will be assumed that you don't have Finale and will not need those files.

As you found, reinstalling GPO4 and JABB2 when Finale is installed will add the .txt files. Alternatively, the .txt files can be added manually .. if you are able to acquire them.

You should now be able to use Finale's Setup Wizard with COMB2. If you want to make changes with your instruments after setting up your score, go to:

MIDI/Audio-Instrument Setup-VST Instruments

The VST Instruments window will open with the instances of Aria loaded for your score. Click on the pencil icon to open that Aria Player to edit instruments. Click on the arrowhead to add/remove instances of Aria.

You can also edit/manage channel assignments by going to:

Window-Instrument List

A new feature in Finale 2011 is that we can now reorder the staves in our scores. To do this

(a) Select the 'Staff Tool' icon (Treble Clef icon) or go to 'Tools' then select 'Staff'.
    (b) From the top menu select 'Staff-Reorder Staves'.

Good luck with it all.
    Michael

I'm a little confused about all this. I am on OSX. I do NOT want GIFF installed. I have GPO4.

I first installed Finale 2011, then installed GPO4. In the GPO4 application folder there is the gpofull4instrument.txt file. I cannot find this file under Finale locations.

When I try to create a new score in Finale and select one of the Garritan score templates, it complains that the GIFFinstruments.txt file is not found. So are all of those templates no good unless GIFF is installed? Are there any score templates that work with full GPO or do I have to create them from scratch?
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

I don't use the pre-made template. I always use the the wizard. It gives me exactly the instrumentation that I want. On Snow Leopard put your gpofull4instrument.txt file:

User/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale 2011/Audio Units Support

Go Back to forum