• Register
  • Help

Topic: Amount of RAM

Share/Bookmark

Question Amount of RAM

Well I did some extra work, and have the money to buy a new PC. It's a long, long time since I bought one, so I'm fairly out of touch.

Most of what I do is sample based, so I'm not going with the very fastest processor, but I guess I need a lot of RAM for loading the heads of samples. Most places here in the UK seem to only do up to 12GB RAM. I found one company doing 24GB, but it would cost me about $1000 dollars more than their 12GB machine.

It's going to be a long time till I buy anything else, so I want to make sure I stretch myself to what I really need, but I just thought I'd check what people's experiences are. Does adding more RAM really continue to increase the number of sampler tracks you can use (I'm using VSL player, ARIA and Kontakt if it's specific to different intruments) or is there a limit to the improvements? I have three 32 bit machines which can share the load, via VEPro, but it would be nice to be able to load a much bigger chunk on my main machine.

And are there any issues with using that much RAM? I'm wondering why other firms don't seem to be doing it - I've already bought from a couple of firms who were probably overreaching themselves to gain the edge over others, and have built some fairly unstable systems.
    David

Re: Amount of RAM

Most i7 motherboards would have 6 RAM slots, and accept a maximum of 24GB of RAM (6x4GB). 4GB RAM is still very expensive, while 2GB is very reasonable. Thus the machine sold with 12 (6x2GB) is much cheaper.

With DDR3 memory, you’d want to populate 3 slots at a time, so you might ask for a price with 3 4GB chips for now, allowing you to add another 3 if and when you need to. The prices WILL come down.

With Win7 x64, there are no issues with more RAM

Bill

+1 on using 4 gig sticks. If you ever did need to go to the full 24 gigs of Ram, it will cost a whole lot less in the long run if you start with the 4 gig sticks, rather than having to dump six two gig sticks later on.

My machine has 48GB RAM. It may have been more expensive (I say "may") than getting a couple of 24GB machines, but the saving in electricity, soundcards, extra air con, cables etc. makes it well worth it.

I also use VE Pro, but locally, rather than on a network, so the latency is negligible. The only downside is that it takes a long time to load all the samples, whereas with multiple machines I could load all the machines at the same time. I could speed things up by using SSD, but as I only load once a day it is not a big deal for me.

I got my machine from:

http://www.directresolutions.co.uk/

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post

I got my machine from:

http://www.directresolutions.co.uk/

D
    Holy Cow! Thanks for that Daryl. I just checked them out, and the machine I was going to build at Intaaudio is about £300 cheaper from this site.

How do you find your machine in terms of quiet running (and are you using the tower or rack) and reliability?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    Holy Cow! Thanks for that Daryl. I just checked them out, and the machine I was going to build at Intaaudio is about £300 cheaper from this site.

How do you find your machine in terms of quiet running (and are you using the tower or rack) and reliability?
    Very quiet (more so than a Mac Pro) and is in use 12-16 hours a day most working days. My previous machine was also from these guys, and that is still working without a problem (in my other studio) after two years.

D

Note that Windows 7 Home Premium Edition places a 16 bit limit on the amount of ram that can be used. So, you should consider upgrading to at least Windows 7 Professional. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...mits_windows_7
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1 View Post
    Note that Windows 7 Home Premium Edition places a 16 bit limit on the amount of ram that can be used. So, you should consider upgrading to at least Windows 7 Professional. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...mits_windows_7
    I think you mean 16 GB.

16 bits would be 65536 bytes. That wouldn't get you very far these days.

Ernie

Red face Re: Amount of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie View Post
    I think you mean 16 GB.

16 bits would be 65536 bytes. That wouldn't get you very far these days.

Ernie

Doh! ............................. .................. .................... ...............
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

[QUOTE=Pingu;653555] Holy Cow! QUOTE]

My thoughts precisely!! I saw this thread yesterday literally minutes after I'd hit the 'buy now' button with another supplier. I really like the look of this stuff from Falmouth and I'll check them out next time I need to buy a new system.

I decided to stick with my original order because I don't feel comfortable messing people about. I've opted for 12Gb of DDR3 1600 RAM on a i7 (920 I think) quad core. Two Velociraptor drives - the sample drive will be the new 450GB that supports 6gb/s. I considered SSD but the cost became too high.

I'm using Cinematic Strings and I've ditched Play and gone back to the NI version of SO for the rest of the orchestra. I've been doing proof of concepts on a new Win7 64 bit laptop with only 4GB RAM and things are working quite well with Play removed from the equation. So, 12 GB RAM could be more than I need. That said, I also use the Hauptwerk Salisbury Cathedral organ for my Church music. Again working fine with 4GB RAM - but needs more like 12GB for full realism.

Good luck. Regards, Graham

Go Back to forum