• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Aria, SFZ, and Mac...

Share/Bookmark

Aria, SFZ, and Mac...

Hey everyone,
    I'm planning on getting the Aria upgrade for GPO and have three questions:

1. Is RTAS still an available option?
    2. What Mac version of Pro Tools does it require?
    3. Can I load any SFZ sample set (3rd party) into Aria while it's being used as an RTAS plugin in Pro Tools under Mac OS X?

I have a lot of independent sample libraries that need a good home. The free solutions for Pro Tools and Mac are less than desirable, and I hear Aria is designed to handle SFZ. The new brass is a great prospect, but SFZ functionality is what'll determine if this is a near-future purchase or a purchase somewhere down the road for me.

Thanks so much for your help!

Tyler

Re: Aria, SFZ, and Mac...

Quote Originally Posted by Sonare Coeli View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I'm planning on getting the Aria upgrade for GPO and have three questions:

1. Is RTAS still an available option?
    2. What Mac version of Pro Tools does it require?
    3. Can I load any SFZ sample set (3rd party) into Aria while it's being used as an RTAS plugin in Pro Tools under Mac OS X?

I have a lot of independent sample libraries that need a good home. The free solutions for Pro Tools and Mac are less than desirable, and I hear Aria is designed to handle SFZ. The new brass is a great prospect, but SFZ functionality is what'll determine if this is a near-future purchase or a purchase somewhere down the road for me.

Thanks so much for your help!

Tyler
    Hi Tyler. First all thanks for your great samples!
    Second, you would need some official word about this, but this info can help you meanwhile:

http://www.ariaengine.com/overview

I dont know if this helps, but you can load sfz drag and droping and with an "import" button
    Marcelo Colina

You can load 3rd party sfz files onto ARIA either via drag and drop or import as marce mentioned. I've loaded many on OS X 10.6 in Standalone mode, AU, VST, they should load the same on RTAS.

Which 3rd party sfz libraries are you interested in using? You can find a list of the supported/unimplemented sfz opcodes for ARIA here:

http://plogue.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=14

From my experience so far, all 3rd party sfz files load into ARIA without major hiccups. The key-mapping, velocity layers, amplitude envelopes are all there.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    You can load 3rd party sfz files onto ARIA either via drag and drop or import as marce mentioned. I've loaded many on OS X 10.6 in Standalone mode, AU, VST, they should load the same on RTAS.

Which 3rd party sfz libraries are you interested in using? You can find a list of the supported/unimplemented sfz opcodes for ARIA here:

http://plogue.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=14

From my experience so far, all 3rd party sfz files load into ARIA without major hiccups. The key-mapping, velocity layers, amplitude envelopes are all there.
    Thanks so much, this is really great. I've got a few really old one that are originally SFZ, and I'm planning on remapping a few that were 3rd party to be used with Kontakt, Giga, or Halion (they were free libraries, and therefore not officially associated or licensed with any of these companies - the developers just chose to use those formats). Since SFZ is just text, this seems easy enough, which is good; my programming expertise only goes through HTML and CSS.

Quote Originally Posted by marce View Post
    Hi Tyler. First all thanks for your great samples!
    Second, you would need some official word about this, but this info can help you meanwhile:

http://www.ariaengine.com/overview

I dont know if this helps, but you can load sfz drag and droping and with an "import" button

Thanks so much for the help. Personally I haven't developed any samples yet, I was talking about some that I've downloaded - but I hope to do some of my own soon!

Thanks again.

I'm planning on remapping a few that were 3rd party to be used with Kontakt, Giga, or Halion (they were free libraries, and therefore not officially associated or licensed with any of these companies - the developers just chose to use those formats). Since SFZ is just text, this seems easy enough, which is good; my programming expertise only goes through HTML and CSS.
    If you are comfortable with html and css, grasping sfz opocodes and hierarchy should be easy for you. Should be easy to map those 3rd party samples into new sfz instruments.

Thanks so much for the help. Personally I haven't developed any samples yet, I was talking about some that I've downloaded - but I hope to do some of my own soon!

Thanks again.

Oh! By some reason, maybe they sound similar, i confussed "Sonare Coeli" with a site called "Sonic Musicae", that has some great free samples, that, btw, would be great to have in sfz. Good you have found wat you look for.

Here is the site i confused with your name

http://sonimusicae.free.fr/accueil-en.html
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by marce View Post
    Oh! By some reason, maybe they sound similar, i confussed "Sonare Coeli" with a site called "Sonic Musicae", that has some great free samples, that, btw, would be great to have in sfz. Good you have found wat you look for.

Here is the site i confused with your name

http://sonimusicae.free.fr/accueil-en.html
    Ah yes! I know that site well and have all of their free samples. I haven't been able to use them for anything yet though because I don't have the full version of Kontakt and the Hauptwerk trial version doesn't allow for MIDI output, and only runs as a VSTi. I'm excited to test these libraries out with Aria, as well as other ones that I have accumulated.

So, my last question is: does this work with Pro Tools 7.4.2 on Mac? Or do I need Pro Tools 8.0cs3?

Thanks so much for the help,

Tyler

Hi Tyler,

From what I understand, there are GUI and sound issues with older versions of pro tools (pre PT8). If you are running a 64 bit OS, older versions of pro tools will likely be even more upset as they did not officially support running on a 64 bit OS (although I did get PT8 to work in vista 64 before it was officially supported). As a Pro Tools user myself, I'm all too familiar with the buggy nature of the software (a shame, because I really like the work flow in Pro Tools).

For details on considerations with pro-tools and mac, there is an article at the following link (it won't let me post a direct link, so search "pro tools" on the the aria engine support site or browse to the page article as follows: Third-Parties » Pro Tools: Setup consideration for Pro Tools 8)
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." – Henry Thoreau

Yikes, well that might be an issue...

I have Pro Tools 7.4.2 on Leopard; I was an early adopter of Pro Tools for Leopard and got to be a lab rat, which was and is really unpleasant. I'd have to cough up $150 to upgrade to PT 8, without that much more guaranteed stability.

Thanks for the info.

Hmmm, I wonder if anyone has got to test this out on 7.4.2 specifically...

Go Back to forum