• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT - ASIO and Win7

Share/Bookmark

OT - ASIO and Win7

Anyone having problems with ASIO on Win7?

I just got a new PC - new hardware (obviously) and an upgrade from WinXP to Windows 7 x64. Before installing my audio card - M-Audio Audiophile 2496 - I wanted to make sure I had everything working with the on-board audio support: Realtek HD Audio.

Everything was fine using the default support until I tried using ASIO4AL with the Realtek. I ran into an "Only one application at a time" restriction - I was required to disable sharing of the sound support. If I had Windows Audio active GPO et al could not use ASIO. I don't give a fig about the Windows warning sounds (I've set them all to "none" anyway) but apparently Windows Audio also provides sound support for browsers, media players, etc. This was not a problem under WinXP.

Question:
    Is this a limitation of
    the Realtek driver + ASIO4ALL on Windows 7?
    ASIO4ALL in general on Windows 7?
    All ASIO drivers on Windows 7?
    I don't need to use ASIO4ALL with the M-Audio 2496, but I'm not sure what my next move is if I can't use ASIO at all.

Pat

Re: OT - ASIO and Win7

Hmmm...I'm no expert but could it be a driver issue? I am using ASIO every once in awhile on Windows 7 Pro, 64bit with no problems but it's a 64bit driver. When I looked at the M-Audio site when buying my new machine and OS I noticed a lack of Windows 7 drivers so I purchased another card that was W7 64bit hardware-compatible which had 64bit compatible drivers including ASIO. I would have preferred to stay with M-Audio but at the time they had not developed the drivers I needed.

Just a thought. Good luck.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

I'm using a Win 7 64 bit machine with Realtek audio installed running ASIO4All 2.0 and its fine here. You can't use more than one audio application at a time, if that's the problem you are having. Using them separately shouldn't be a problem though.

For instance, you can't run Aria standalone and a sequencer at the same time, since even with ASIO4All, they're still sharing the same soundcard driver. Realtek and ASIO4All aren't multiclient. There's a beta multiclient ASIO driver available from Steinberg, if that's something you need.

I just tried it out myself. I don't get errors, but Winamp and Reaper, even though one is using WDM and one ASIO drivers will not work at the same time.

And FYI, I have heard that M-Audio has since released Win 7 64 bit drivers for the 2496. I have one too, but haven't moved it over to my new PC since I'm debating whether to do that one or my EMU card.

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    ... could it be a driver issue?
    At least for Realtek + ASIO4ALL on Windows 7 it's a hard restriction. I'd love to hear it's a driver (i.e. ASIO4ALL) problem. That's really what I'm asking.

Apparently when designing Vista Microsoft changed the way audio is handled. I can't tell from what I read whether this new scheme has put a permanent restriction of single program use on ASIO drivers, or if the drivers just have to be rewritten.

I am using ASIO every once in awhile on Windows 7 Pro, 64bit with no problems but it's a 64bit driver.
    That's very good news. You don't have to disable the Windows Audio service to use it, do you?

When I looked at the M-Audio site when buying my new machine and OS I noticed a lack of Windows 7 drivers
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell View Post
    And FYI, I have heard that M-Audio has since released Win 7 64 bit drivers for the 2496.
    I've read on some Win7 forum (a Microsoft forum, I think) that 64 bit driver is available and works well, but hangs up shutdown for a long time. They provided a shutdown script that circumvents the problem.

However, they did not mention whether or not there was a "single user" restriction with the driver.

Pat

You shouldn't have to disable Windows Audio service to use ASIO4All. I have had no problems on that end at all. Are you running the latest ASIO4All driver? They have a 64 bit version on their site and that's what I'm using successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe View Post
    You don't have to disable the Windows Audio service to use it, do you?
    Nope. I just select ASIO in the drop down list - this is in standalone ARIA. BUT...when I bought my machine, even tho' I'd rather have had an M-Audio card, I bought a Creative Titanium X-fi which came with 64 bit drivers for Windows 7 and it is very good quality - I am surprised, actually, at how good it is and it's Creative's ASIO that I use (when I do which is rare).
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

You shouldn't have to disable Windows Audio service to use ASIO4All. I have had no problems on that end at all. Are you running the latest ASIO4All driver? They have a 64 bit version on their site and that's what I'm using successfully.
    Interesting. I'm using the latest ASIO4ALL - 2.10, release in June. Maybe I had something else wrong and then followed old obsolete troubleshooting doc. I was fighting with this for about 5 hours yesterday using my standard flail-and-fail technique. Maybe I'll give it another try not that I know it should work.

But earlier you said
    I'm using a Win 7 64 bit machine with Realtek audio installed running ASIO4All 2.0 and its fine here. You can't use more than one audio application at a time, if that's the problem you are having. Using them separately shouldn't be a problem though.
    I thought Windows Audio counted as one of those audio applications.

Pat

No it does not count as an audio application. It must run on the kernel level by-passing the problem.

Curiouser and curiouser. It's application-dependent. Stand-alone GPO4 and Sibelius (using the GPO4 plugin) can successfully use ASIO4ALL but Finale (also using the GPO4 plugin) cannot. Sibelius also allows selecting WASAPI as the audio "device", making ASIO less important. Finale allows just ASIO4ALL (unusable) and DirectSound.

This makes me more confidant about installing my sound card. It also prompts me to grumble to the Finale folks.

Pat

Go Back to forum