• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Korg Triton or Roland XP sounds in Giga format?

Share/Bookmark

Korg Triton or Roland XP sounds in Giga format?

Does anyone know if there are any CDROMs with sounds off of the Korg Triton or Roland XP series in Giga format or if they are in the process of making them? I\'m looking to add some nice synth colors along wth my sample libraries.

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 07-08-2001).]

Re: Korg Triton or Roland XP sounds in Giga format?

Bigga Giggas has released some synth-cd\'s in Giga format, not the ones you ask for, but anyway...
    DX Rex is sampled from the Yamaha DX11 and covers a lot of FM sounds. JX-3P from Roland\'s 80\'s synth, Worra\'s Prophet with samples from a Prophet-5 and then we\'ll soon release the \"Attack Synth\" wich is a sampled Memory Moog.
    Check them out at www.biggagiggas.com

/Worra

Does anyone know if there are any CDROMs with sounds off of the Korg Triton or Roland XP series in Giga format or if they are in the process of making them? I\'m looking to add some nice synth colors along wth my sample libraries.
    --------------------------------------------
    http://www.nicebeats.de

They\'ve got the Roland XP-80 in WAV, EMU, SF2, and AKAI formats.. They\'ve also got the Korg Trinity. I\'ve got both on the way in WAV format. (According to them, the other formats could be missing files. Otherwise, I would have gone with AKAI for easy Gig conversion.) The site is all in German, but there are people who buy the complete set of CD\'s, and sell them individually on E-Bay.

I\'m wondering...How good are these types of cds in terms of quality? Anywhere close to their synth counterparts or cheap imitation?

Most of the manufacturers of these synths/Modules consider this piracy. The Sounds in the Modules are based of off PCM waves. Anyhow, I know you can get whats in \"most\" of the XP expansion boards by purchasing the Roand CD sample libraries. They use better versions of the samples in the boards.....well...atleast for orchestral...

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

I\'m wondering...How good are these types of cds in terms of quality? Anywhere close to their synth counterparts or cheap imitation?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They\'re pretty decent. Obviously they run the outs on the keyboard to a recording device, and sample the sounds straight. Most of the .WAV files are about 2 megs. (I converted the .WAV\'s to .SF2, and then to .GIG, and didn\'t lose anything in the translation. It also gave me the entire 88 keys to play with. ) So far, I\'ve only played with the Korg X5D, which I picked up for \"The Singers\" preset, which was used on a few songs on Dimmu Borgir\'s Enthrone Darkness Triumphant album.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of the manufacturers of these synths/Modules consider this piracy. The Sounds in the Modules are based of off PCM waves. Anyhow, I know you can get whats in \"most\" of the XP expansion boards by purchasing the Roand CD sample libraries. They use better versions of the samples in the boards.....well...atleast for orchestral...

If the manufacturers would put out the same sounds on CD in Akai, .WAV, or whatever usable format, I\'d gladly buy them. I really wish that I could have every keyboard available to me, or every rack synth in a huge studio, but I\'m on a limited budget.

How about we email Roland, Korg, Kurzweil, Alesis, Yamaha, E-Mu, and every other manufacturer out there to look into this. I\'m sure it\'d only take a day or so for a person to sample all the sounds on it, and clean it up for CD pressing. I\'d gladly pay $50 - $100 for these direct from the manufacturer.

I will say this, the NiceBeats ones are missing some of the presets. I know the X5D probably has at least 128 sounds, but the NB CD only has 71 of them. They should have just put them out as a 2 CD set or something.

You might think that if the manufacturer\'s would do this, it would kill off their hardware.. but they could limit it to units that are 2+ years old, or discontinued. If there weren\'t people that wanted the sounds, NiceBeats wouldn\'t be in \"business\".

i was planning too to buy this 4 collections
    from
    www.Nicebeats.de

SynthLine D50.Halion.dvd . $ 47.40
    SynthLine XV5050.vol1.Mf. $ 47.40
    SynthLine XV5080.vol52.Mf. $ 71.70
    SynthLine JD800.Halion. $71.70

but now ,they are disappeared from their site...
    it seems only the ones from Roland...
    so..i was wonderin...
    has Roland stopped their productions?
    have i saved my money?
    or it's only some sort of restylin of the site
    durin the holidays?

i know maybe i'm offtopic..but...please help me
    even if you know some other productions involvin
    those 4 machines....
    i just want to complete my studio and joyn them with my Fantom x6
    and Triton Extreme
    thanks

..bad news...
    this 4
    SynthLine D50.Halion.dvd . $ 47.40
    SynthLine XV5050.vol1.Mf. $ 47.40
    SynthLine XV5080.vol52.Mf. $ 71.70
    SynthLine JD800.Halion. $71.70

seems really discontinued....
    just received a mail from Jangemusic..an ebay.nicebeats.seller....
    i'm really disappointed from their behaviour...no news...
    no advise...my money...was really darin....
    what absence of professional skill....

Quote Originally Posted by Damon
    Does anyone know if there are any CDROMs with sounds off of the Korg Triton or Roland XP series in Giga format or if they are in the process of making them? I'm looking to add some nice synth colors along wth my sample libraries.
    Technically, to make such CDs is illegal. The products are current and the manufacturers could (would?) take exception that they are unfair competition to their products (and there are laws that would protect the original manufacturer without question in a court of law).

Yes .. I know it seems absurd (especially if the sampled sounds on the CD are the creator's own making and not factory presets) but the legal argument would still hold legal water. After all, the manufacturer might have sunk - what - $1,500,000 or more into the product development and they have to recoup that through sales. Then some twonker comes along, samples everything and sells it on CD for $100 (or worse - gives it away!!!!). Hard to compete with that and the court would most likely be sympathetic to the defendant!

Ok... in practice, it doesn't work like that and it is highly unlikely that a CD (however comprehensive) of a Triton or an XP - whatever - is going to bring the manufacturer to their knees for any number of reasons but the principle would almost certainly be upheld in a court of law.

It's a really tricky legal area but the bottom line is that manufacturers these days are far more vigilant about this kind of activity (and rightly so in these sad days of unfettered and blatant piracy on trashy soundfont sites, P-2-P networks and eBay) and will hastily stamp down on anyone who is discovered to be doing it. And I, for one, totally understand why having had my own work ripped off on more than several occasions in such cyberspace venues!

But there are many good synth sample libraries out there - not Triton or XP or whatever but containing (perhaps) many of the 'colours' you seek. Modesty prevent me mentioning my own M01 and FS1R collections of long-discontinued instruments that might offer many of the sounds you are looking for (oh bugger - I just did! ) but there are others too.

And rather than go for samples of such synths, maybe consider buying instead a soft synth that gives you the colours you're looking for. Just a thought.

But this is why you are unlikely to find any Triton or XP or JV (or any other current) sample-based synth samples out there.

Quote Originally Posted by SOD213
    If the manufacturers would put out the same sounds on CD in Akai, .WAV, or whatever usable format, I'd gladly buy them. I really wish that I could have every keyboard available to me
    Who wouldn't?

or every rack synth in a huge studio, but I'm on a limited budget.
    Who isn't?

How about we email Roland, Korg, Kurzweil, Alesis, Yamaha, E-Mu, and every other manufacturer out there to look into this.
    Yeah... right! These manufacturers are gonna jump at the chance at giving away their investment for (to quote) "$50-$100"

I'm sure it'd only take a day or so for a person to sample all the sounds on it, and clean it up for CD pressing.
    Ahem!!!!!

It would take an experienced developer a few months to extensively multi-sample, trim, optimise, loop, map and otherwise program the sounds from just one of the instruments you mention.

Even in the (very) unlikely scenario of any of these manufacturers releasing the raw PCM samples, it would be a serious undertaking for someone to re-create the original instruments' patches/programs in the various different sampler formats (and that's not factoring in the various product differences which would have to be overcome - differerent filters, envs, LFOs, FX, etc.).

Come on... get real! No manufacturer is ever going to entertain this.

I will say this, the NiceBeats ones are missing some of the presets. I know the X5D probably has at least 128 sounds
    At least 256

...but the NB CD only has 71 of them. They should have just put them out as a 2 CD set or something.
    I don't know the NiceBeats product but I imagine they sampled/produced what they felt was the most representative (or impressive) sounds from the XD5.

You might think that if the manufacturer's would do this, it would kill off their hardware..
    That much is true!

but they could limit it to units that are 2+ years old, or discontinued.
    And that is pretty much the legal limit on what can be reasonably sampled from another sample-based synth (although some manufacturers don't even tolerate that as there is often cross-pollenantion of technology - and hence sounds - from older products to new ones).

One thing I think you should realise though is that sampling a synth effectively/authentically/realistically is not just a matter of selecting a synth preset and hitting record! To represent that sound properly can be anywhere as difficult (if not more so) than some massive, prestige orchestral collection. Ok, the initial production costs are less (just buy/hire/borrow the synth in question) but the post-production programming development can be equally as intensive especially if the synth/sound is very animated or evolving. With respect to the esteemed developers here, looping a sustained violin ensemble is a breeze compared with looping a four-layered synth texture that is filter sweeping with various LFOs, panning here there and everywhere and then processed through various delays, sweeping phasers/flangers/what-not and reverb.

I am not on a hobby-horse or soapbox or anything but sampling/looping/programming complex synth textures (or electric pianos or organs... whatever) is no less trivial than an orchestra or a children's choir (sorry Francis )... in fact, if anything, it can be more challenging!

Unfortunately (probably due to ready availability of cheap synth plug-ins or whatever), the art of sampling synths has become somewhat under-valued and underrated... as though all one has to do is connect the synth's line outs to a sampler, hit record and you're done!

If only it were that simple!!!

Go Back to forum