• Register
  • Help

Topic: low key slow ,high key too fast

low key slow ,high key too fast

i\'m trying to make a sample by myself.i got a great tutorial called wavs to gig fast and easy but when i play a low key my sample sounds to slow.with a high key too fast.
    how can i fix this problem.
    it\'s my first time sampling.
    about the loop SECRETS?....any tips too?
    thanx guys.

Re: low key slow ,high key too fast

I am no sampling techie but from what I know, it sounds like you are trying to stretch a sample across many keyzones (or regions). How many samples are you using? You should turn off the \"pitch trk\" option (I don\'t know where you\'ll find it in Gst, I use a Gigasmapler LE). You should define the unity note as of where you want the sample to be placed on the keyboard eventually(if it is a pitched instrument you are creating).

If you are doing a loop or non pitched sample you shouldn\'t be worried about the speed of your sample being played back...

Have I confused you further?

hello saudade!!!first of all are you brazilian,portuguese?
    well i\'ll gonna check the pitch track function?
    ps:i\'m from brazil.

The problem is probably that you are stretching one sample a long distance. When you do this the lower part of the region will start too slow. You can make up for this by doing this:

1. Even though it\'s just one sample (I\'m assuming) make another region for the lower, say, fourth of the note.

2. Select that region (click on it) and go to the \"mix/layer\" tab and try playing with the \"sample offset\". This will start the sample \"X\" amount of miliseconds into the .wav.

If this doesn\'t work OR is not your problem let me know

what Donnie says is right.

The main thing to remember is that most libraries use more than one sample to represent a sound for this very reason.

How many samples you make in order to emulate an instrument partly depends on the accuracy you\'re after, your resources, and how far a sound can be stretched before it sounds \'unnatural\'.

Hi Ricardo,

No I am not Brazilian or Portuguese, in fact I am a Singaporean! I learnt this word saudade from a Caetano Veloso song, and again in the movie \"Next Stop Wonderland\"

Once you have learnt about making your own giga instruments you will be able to make the most of even the most humble low-priced samples from audio CDs and wavs.

Have fun!

thanx a lot saudade,chadwick and donnie.
    i\'m trying to sample an orchestra sound from a transcription of johan seabastian bach\'s toccata and fugue in Dm.i think this is a good tip.the final part of the main theme have enough sustain to make a sample.the cd is bach greatest hits rca victor bmg classics and if one of you, want it tell me.
    my doubt is .how can i select a region?if i compress this sample 50% of the original sound and put this 1 octave lower than the original sample and vice versa could work?
    does anybody have tips to take some samples from music cds or web site?i mean,orchestral samples.

Ricardo you gotta be more specific here for us to help you.

Are you trying to stretch the sample length-wise(i.e. shorten or lengthen) or are you trying to change its pitch without changing the length?

For changing the length I know Soundforge can do it, but changing pitch only requires much more sophisticated software I believe......

Or are you trying to stretch just the tail end of the sample and not the front?

A quick look at the GigaPiano or Ultimate Timpani in the editor might be helpful to understand the \'masssive multisampling\' capability of GigaStudio.

Each note is it\'s own instrument, with it\'s own character - almost impossible to model mathematically. For example, even a single middle \'C\' stretched with a DSP intensive formant corrected algorithm like the Roland hw doesn\'t sound anything like a piano once you move away from middle \'C\'. The math is way too complex. Physical modelling has got a long way to go for many classes of instruments.

[This message has been edited by wazoo (edited 07-07-2001).]

Go Back to forum