• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dropouts in GPO 4.02 with Finale2009c

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Dropouts in GPO 4.02 with Finale2009c

I thought about putting this in the last thread I started, but decided that this was a little bit different. I've been using GPO4 for about a year now and Finale 2009 for about two years (after upgrading from 2004, which I used for about 5 years) on my family's computer (I just got out of High School) without a MIDI keyboard. All was fine in the world, until the GPO 4.02 update was announced, which I installed. As I was playing back a file that required about 4 instances of Aria, and instead of decent quality playback, I heard a chorus of popping. I immediately came to the forum and stated my problem, and got a few replies saying that the problem was dropouts and/or hyper-threading (which I couldn't turn off, because it wasn't even in the bios menu you get when you turn on a PC). Well, I couldn't fix the hyper-threading, and from what I've looked, there's no way to stop dropouts without getting a newer computer, which wasn't going to happen until about now. My final decision was to completely uninstall GPO and re-install without the 4.02 update, which was the end of the "dropout" issue. I figured I'd wait to install the update until I had a computer with better specs than the family computer.

So a few days ago, I got an HP Notebook (Intel Pentium T4500 (2.3 GHz), 320 GB Hard Drive, 4 GB RAM, Windows 7 (Home Premium), and I can't find any info on the sound-card), and installed Finale (2009c) and GPO with the 4.02 update, and... more dropouts with anything using more than about 8-10 MIDI channels. I'm assuming it has something to do with the 4.02 update, but it appears that nobody else has had any issue with the 4.02 update, so I'm extremely confused. I never have any other programs running while I use Finale and GPO. Also, from the 4 instance on (though I never use more than 5 due to crashing in the past), everything below a certain pitch (I want to say the C# right above A440) just doesn't play at all.

I don't want to sound like I'm angry at the Garritan people, because I'm not. I'm just really frustrated and confused as to why GPO 4 works amazing and then I add the 4.02 update and I hear a symphony of dropout popping (which could be cool, but I paid $150 for an orchestra, not a popcorn machine). Is there anyway to fix the update, should I just use GPO 4 without the 4.02 update, and/or is it even the update's fault? I'm just really confused and frustrated, and would be grateful for any help I can get. Please and Thank You.
    Zacharias Paul Gustav Büchner
    ComposerTrumpeter

Re: Dropouts in GPO 4.02 with Finale2009c

Chances are that the dropouts are caused by your soundcard and driver. You need to figure out what the soundcard is. Most VSTi plugins just don't play well with the integrated soundcards built in to most systems.

Jim

Thanks for the info, Jim. My sound card is a Realtek High Definition Audio. I managed to open the "Audio Manager" and discovered it has "Sound Effects" set on "stone corridor" and and equalizer that was making the audio sound weird. So I turned the equalizer to "none", and turned off the sound effects. I also went to Plogue's aria site to see if I could find anything helpful there. I installed the lastest update from there, and the dropouts have ended for now. I'm not sure which one did the trick, but I'm glad the dropouts have stopped. Again, thanks.
    Zacharias Paul Gustav Büchner
    ComposerTrumpeter

Glad your systems working better for you.

I would recommend getting an external pro-audio sound card. The Realtek isn't designed well for music apps and is more for playing computer sounds and video games. A better soundcard with good drivers will give much lower latency.

Jim

Go Back to forum