• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Programming keyswitches

Share/Bookmark

Programming keyswitches

I am a long time user of GPO4 with Sibelius, but I am now learning how to use it in Logic. As an experiment I recorded the Violin 1 KS solo instrument using just my USB keyboard, and then decided to try adding some keyswitch data in the piano roll editor so see if I could make some changes. I added F1 before my recorded line starts, assuming that this would make the sample play pizz, but there was no change. What am I doing wrong?

Re: Programming keyswitches

hi

are you sure you've got the right octave of F?

it might be that your keyboard has the up/down octave set?

I'd open up the VST and check what notes are triggered on the virtual keyboard to be sure what notes you're activating, or look at the recorded midi track in the event list editor.

I don't know to what MIDI note F1 is in Logic but you should use note 41(4th F) if you use the Violin 1 Solo KS from the standard bank, or 5(1st F) if you use the Violin 1 Solo KS from the notation bank.

Make sure you the KS is sent to the right channel.
    You should see the KS label change to Pizzicato on the ARIA Player UI.
    Pascal Maheux, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montréal. http://www.plogue.com

If you can set it somewhere in Logic, use base octave for pitches -2 as I do in Sonar.
    It may have another value, because I don't know Logic.

Raymond

Thanks for your reply Peter. I'm sure that it is the correct note. If you look in the top right of this screenshot in the events list you will see that there is an F1 of 4 ticks duration occurring 125 ticks before the first note event.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9482475/Scre...2021.11.55.png

I've repeated the procedure to make this screenshot and it's exactly the same result - no change!

Can you trigger the keyswitches from within the VST?

Logic has a setting for the pitch of central C: Roland or Yamaha (Preferences > Display > General). I use Yamaha (C3). In that case, the lowest pitch the violin can play is G2 (or around there), and F1 is indeed the key switch.

So you might like to change this setting. You should also make sure that your patch is a standard patch, not a notation patch.

If you can't resolve it, I can send you one of my Logic projects which should work...
    Theo

Raymond, Pascal & FLWrd - I've checked the keyboard setting and C3 Yamaha is definitely the one set in the Preferences, and it is the same C3 as on my M-Audio Keyboard. I don't think this is the problem - see below.

Pascal - I am definitely using the Standard patches.

Peter, I can trigger the changes from my keyboard or from the Aria GUI. But maybe I have misunderstood something fundamental. I tried recording a passage again, but whereas the first time I had recorded a passage from the keyboard with C1 sustain, then tried inserting an F1 via the piano roll, this time I hit the KS on the keyboard and it recorded the passage as pizzicato. But there is no F1 recorded in the piano roll, nor a C1 for that matter.

If I hit a KS on the keyboard while the track is record enabled, but not actually recording, then the instrument on the whole track changes to that function. I had assumed that I would be able to program changes in a KS instrument during a track, so that it would be easy to switch playing techniques - but maybe that is not what is supposed to happen?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Quote Originally Posted by JanSax View Post
    If I hit a KS on the keyboard while the track is record enabled, but not actually recording, then the instrument on the whole track changes to that function. I had assumed that I would be able to program changes in a KS instrument during a track, so that it would be easy to switch playing techniques - but maybe that is not what is supposed to happen?
    If a track is not recording, the key switch notes will not become part of the track. However, they do get sent to the active plugin. Your idea to insert an F1 to trigger pizz is fundamentally right, I do so all the time in logic; there must be another problem.
    Theo

You should certainly be able to insert keyswitches in a track (whether manually or by recording) ... they are not just for live playback.

I don't know Logic, but I wonder if there is some filtering in it which either stops the keyswitches from being recorded (so I assuime tha you have manually inserted your F1 keyswitch), or prevents them being sent to the VST during playback?

The length of your F1 keyswitch looks exceedingly short ... perhaps Logic is set to ignore any notes shorter than a certain length?

Can you try taking one of the notes that you know trigger a played sound, copy it and move the copy down to an F1 to see it that triggers the keyswitching?

If it doesn't, try moving it back to the original note and then move it down one semitone at a tiem to see at what point it stops to take any effect.

Leave the note at its original length and watch the keyboard in the VST to check whay "notes" are getting through to it.

Go Back to forum