• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is my Hardware fit for GPO?

Is my Hardware fit for GPO?

first of all I apologize for my bad English (I am a german student).
    Currently I am thinking of buying Finale 2010 which includes Garritan Personal Orchestra.
    I am not sure whether my Hardware is sufficient for using the GPO fluently or whether I have to buy some new Hardware (e.g. RAM or sound card).
    I have:
    Windows XP SP3
    Intel Pentium 4 dual core 3.2Ghz
    1 GB RAM
    sound card: Realtek AC'97
    +usb midi keyboard
    Thanking you in anticipation.

Re: Is my Hardware fit for GPO?

Grüß dich!

When I got Finale 2009 a couple years ago, I used similar specs. I can say, without a doubt, that Finale is a good buy and is a great notation program. First off, Finale comes with a "lesser" version of Aria player and bundles sounds from GPO, JABB, and CAMB. The recommended RAM for full GPO, JABB, or CAMB is 2 GB, but (from experience), you can safely use about 4 instances of ARIA (about 64 MIDI Channels) on 1GB without murdering your computer, provided you have no other programs running except Finale and ARIA. If you don't plan on using more than 2 instances of ARIA (32 MIDI Channels), then I wouldn't bother upgrading your RAM. However, if you do intend to use more than 2 instances of ARIA, then I would strongly advise you to upgrade your RAM to at least 2 GB. I hope this helps you.
    Zacharias Paul Gustav Büchner

Another consideration is to purchase a soundcard that has better drivers. Most users don't like the performance of built in sound cards probably because the drivers aren't as good. I don't believe there's ASIO support for one which is supported in the versions of Finale you're going to.

If a sound card is out of the question, you could try using the ASIO4ALL driver which some use with good success.

The comment about RAM above is the major deficiency I would say.

Steve Winkler

Thanks a lot for your advice!

Go Back to forum