• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Fantastic prizes from Gary Garritan for the Orchestral Shootout--LOOK!

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Fantastic prizes from Gary Garritan for the Orchestral Shootout--LOOK!

This is just the greatest - The other day in my most recent email to Gary, I mentioned this event going on at the Sonar Forum where we're comparing the sounds of various orchestral libraries/soft synths.

He was instantly enthused and donated prizes for the contest:

Grand Prize - THE ENTIRE LINE OF GARRITAN LIBRARIES!!

Runners-up - A Garritan Library.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's our Gary G.! You look up "generous" in Webster's, and there's his picture.---and it also looks like he's gearing up to get more involved with his company and this Forum again, so hopefully we'll be seeing him here again in the not too distant future.

If you haven't looked into this contest yet - Please do so. Rules are simple, the recording project it requires is not difficult at all.

Here's the new thread at Sonar with the announcement of the prizes, of deadlines, and with updated rules:

ORCHESTRAL SHOOTOUT UPDATE

Hope to see some of you folks jump into this!

Randy

Re: Fantastic prizes from Gary Garritan for the Orchestral Shootout--LOOK!

Its good to hear someone has talked to Gary even via email. I've been haunting the place and have gotten concerned about not seeing him here. I know there were some personal issues he was dealing with, and I do hope and pray all that was resolved and everything is okay. I thought of asking the forum yesterday if anyone had any news, but its good to hear it sounds like he's back at work and I will take that as a positive and good sign.

Hi, Joseph - In his reply to me yesterday, Gary was the most upbeat I've heard him in a long time. He said the most grueling part of Marianne's intensive medical treatment is ending, and they're more optimistic about things than they have been in a long time. It was great news indeed. And like I said, hopefully he'll be able to post something here ere too long. We still need to give him room - I at least know he intends to be here as soon as it seems the right time.

Randy B.

Thanks for the update. I've always thought a lot of Gary and Marianne, not just for the work they've done, but as people. Its good to hear that things are looking positive for her.

On the previous thread about this event, Michael asks:

"...Randy, I'm somewhat confused about the piccolo track. Is any of it for piccolo, or is all flute parts? All of the lines seem somewhat low to be for a piccolo..."

The person who originally made this sequence in 1989 was using a GM synth which didn't have limits on any instrument's range. He apparently used the Piccolo because he liked the brighter tone, that's my guess.

But to make that track into something that can actually be played by an orchestra, you need to split the track into Piccolo and Flute. Shifting of octaves is fine, by the way, to adapt to your instruments. Use the high line for the Piccolo, obviously, and the lower for the Flute.

I have 30 submissions so far and they've managed to adapt the MIDI file to something that works with their synth. I'm sure you can do the same, Michael.

Now, stick with it, make it work, should only take a couple of hours, and send it in.

Hope others are getting in on this too!--I'm sure there are people here who don't own all of the Garritan libraries - here's your chance to win them all.

Randy

I need to be more observant and notice new threads like this and stuff.

@ Randy, it won't be any trouble to do that. I was just wondering why exactly it specifically said it was a piccolo part, when very obviously it can't be. I'm fine mixing flute and piccolos.

It's awesome that there's prizes for this! What a nice thing of Garry to do! I thought it was just a cool idea to be able to really have something to compare different libraries, but this just makes it even more fun. Wouldn't it be nice if some other producers would offer some prizes... *dreams of winning a nice set of LASS strings*

Edit: Randy, are you sure this track is from the motion picture? I decided to look up the real thing to hear what articulations were actually used and such, and it's quite different than the midi file I've been working with. For one, it's in a different key, and it also is slower. Perhaps it's the theme from The Next Generation?

The fact that the actual theme from the motion picture is slower might explain why some entries are a slower tempo.

Edit again: Yes, this is the theme from the The Next Generation, not the motion picture. The key and tempo are the same, and I didn't notice any parts that were different than the midi file.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael135 View Post
    I need to be more observant and notice new threads like this and stuff.

@ Randy, it won't be any trouble to do that. I was just wondering why exactly it specifically said it was a piccolo part, when very obviously it can't be. I'm fine mixing flute and piccolos.

It's awesome that there's prizes for this! What a nice thing of Garry to do! I thought it was just a cool idea to be able to really have something to compare different libraries, but this just makes it even more fun. Wouldn't it be nice if some other producers would offer some prizes... *dreams of winning a nice set of LASS strings*

Edit: Randy, are you sure this track is from the motion picture? I decided to look up the real thing to hear what articulations were actually used and such, and it's quite different than the midi file I've been working with. For one, it's in a different key, and it also is slower. Perhaps it's the theme from The Next Generation?

The fact that the actual theme from the motion picture is slower might explain why some entries are a slower tempo.

Edit again: Yes, this is the theme from the The Next Generation, not the motion picture. The key and tempo are the same, and I didn't notice any parts that were different than the midi file.
    Michael - I know there's a lot of info at the Sonar Forum to wade through, but obviously you haven't read much, if any of it.

Working backwards through your post - This is the theme from "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"--the first Trek movie, it's not from The Next Generation.

It was specifically spelled out early on in the contest thread that the tempo was to not be changed. We were hoping for all the entries to line up exactly the same so they could be easily compared in a Sonar file --They could be imported and soloed, and all tracks would stay in sync. But that rule was ignored, and some people even went to the trouble of mapping out a tempo from the movie sound track to match it.

This sequence IS NOT FROM THE MOVIE - It's been said over and over that this is a MIDI sequence developed by ear. It was done in 1989 by someone named GaryW001. That's all we know about him. Emails to him bounce back--it's been a long time and his AOL address isn't working anymore.

The file has many errors in it. Totally wrong notes, missing harmonies - But it is what it is and it's what we're all using to develop these tracks so that everyone's version will have the same EXACT basis.

The point of doing your recording isn't to re-create the original movie sound track, but simply to make the best use of your chosen soft synth library as possible. It doesn't matter how much it sounds like the original - it just needs to sound musical and pleasing.

Piccolos---I already explained that. A GM file is limited to 16 tracks. This guy obviously preferred the sound of piccolo so labeled the track that. It's obviously a piccolo and flute part in one track. Anyone can see that - just split it out and make it work like everyone else has!

Go to work and quit asking so many questions!

Randy

But there's no such thing as a stupid question... or so they say.

I'll get a start reading right away then! Back to work...

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    It was specifically spelled out early on in the contest thread that the tempo was to not be changed.
    Man, I was really hoping to re-write this somewhere around the ballpark of 20 bpm. I felt the subtle nuances in the running horn-triplets could really....REALLY be emphasized this way.

Oh dear....

But in all seriousness, that was useful to know, I was considering adding a ritardando if I felt it would improve it here and there, but I suppose it really isn't necessary, and I can do without!

By the way, I stated in one of the earlier threads that I looked forward to this due to me wanting to test out my new computer...and the difference from my 2 year-old laptop is, well, stunning! So thanks again for bringing this contest to our forum's eyes!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    ...I was considering adding a ritardando if I felt it would improve it here and there, but I suppose it really isn't necessary, and I can do without!

By the way, I stated in one of the earlier threads that I looked forward to this due to me wanting to test out my new computer...and the difference from my 2 year-old laptop is, well, stunning! So thanks again for bringing this contest to our forum's eyes!
    That's so great that you're discovering how much zippier your new computer is - This contest thing is a fun way to test drive your new set up.

Thanks for understanding that we don't want the tempo changed. Some people have gone ahead and slowed it down, and I feel that was to their disadvantage. The file's tempo of 112 sounds better.

All of us would like to do more with this file, add a ritard for instance, change some notes, add new harmonic lines - add bits we can hear are missing when compared to the movie sound track. But all of that kind of editing is beyond the scope of this event.

Once you start working with the file, you may be surprised at how much editing you Can do to make it sound as good as you can. You can change the velocity values, volume data, length of notes - You can double up instruments, you can do everything you want while mixing. So, there's still a lot you can do.

I do, however, recommend that you not make it a long drawn-out project. There's a limit to what can be done with this raw MIDI file. If one knows how to use the software of choice, this is maybe a 2 hour project.

Hope you have a good time with it.

Randy

Go Back to forum