• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question for Gig Users..

Share/Bookmark

Question for Gig Users..

I\'d like to ask users of the Gigasampler who are professionals, i.e., guys that have work to do on deadlines, whether

1 The Gigasampler is dependable enough to be your main sample playback unit, and....

2 If there are enough sounds out there for it to be able to handle virtually anything. This can include the idea of using Translator to import files for say, the AKAI in to Giga for some samples not available yet in Giga format, but only if this is a doable and reasonable exercise, not if it\'s something that takes hours of tweaking to get things to sound right.

3 And finally, I\'d like to know from you guys just how bad, if at all, the midi delay is in using Giga, when using it only as a voice in the room. That is, I\'d be using a Mac with Pro Tools to sequence, and only using Giga as sample playback. I wouldn\'t be using the PC for any recording.

Thanks for any and all input. I\'m excited about GIGA, and all in all just wondering it it is stable and practical enough to be the main, and possibly only, device in the room.....

Re: Question for Gig Users..

Tom,
    My responses all assume that you will use GigaStudio alone on a dedicated PC set-up for audio (like one of the PC\'s described on the www.rme-audio.com site, for example).

1. Yes. I find it rock solid reliable. I use it daily for hours and hours, it does not crash. You\'ll hear horror stories, but usually once you find out what system the problems are happening on, you are not surprised they\'re having trouble.

2. Sample libraries in Giga format are literally blossoming like a meadow in springtime. Also, Chicken Systems makes translators from a lot of different formats. I am waiting on one for Kurzweil, which is not yet implemented. Caution: I have not used one of these translators, hopefully someone else can answer you.

3. On a proper machine, GigaStudio latency is about like any other dedicated hardware sampler. I use mine together with a rack full of other MIDI gear, and it is not special in this regard. Pay particular attention to the soundcard you get. I highly recommend the rme 9652 Hammerfall, which has incredibly low latency.(plus 24 channels ADAT lightpipe, word clock in and out, and S/PDIF or AES/EBu). MIDI is another potential delay factor, and it needs to be done properly (not USB) to avoid impacting Gigastudio.

Hope this helps you out.
    Regards,
    Trond

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dnortana:
    Tom,
    My responses all assume that you will use GigaStudio alone on a dedicated PC set-up for audio (like one of the PC\'s described on the www.rme-audio.com site, for example).

(SNIP)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks so much for your input. I would be going to Soundchaser to put the system together, and they recommend that card as well.

It\'s exciting to know that this system is solid, because it gives you capabilities that no other can....I\'m anxious to get going with it...thanks again!

I run Digital Performer on a Mac G4 using a MOTU 2408. Soundchaser built a dedicated Giga PC for me. I\'ve been very happy with the results so far.

Tom,
    In the July Mix, Rob Hanson does a full \"Field Test\" of GigaStudio 160.

you might also check out what Jeff Rona (a heavy deadline guy)had to say about replacing his hw rack gear with GigaStudio in the July \"Reel World\" colums in the July Keyboard magazine. Also, the cover story (producer Dallas Austin)uses it in his Artillery pg 40, and Rick Sheppard pg 38 same issue).

Tom,
    Gigastudio has been rock solid for me, but I think that it works best with the Giga libraries. I\'ve had good luck transfering my Akai libraries, but found other formats (SampleCell, Emu, Roland) to be a mixed bag using Translator to convert (and Translator crashes WAY too often). Some of the conversions have worked OK, but others have needed extensive tweaking which I haven\'t had the time to do, so for now, I\'m keeping my Emu and SampleCell card.

With the right midi interface (ie not USB), midi delay is no different than any other sampler.

Ultimately, the convenience of having all your samples on a hard drive ready to go is a major time saver for me.

------------------
    Ocean Beach Productions
    Sounding the wave of the
    future. . .

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John DeBorde:
    Tom,
    Gigastudio has been rock solid for me, but I think that it works best with the Giga libraries. I\'ve had good luck transfering my Akai libraries, but found other formats (SampleCell, Emu, Roland) to be a mixed bag using Translator to convert (and Translator crashes WAY too often). Some of the conversions have worked OK, but others have needed extensive tweaking which I haven\'t had the time to do, so for now, I\'m keeping my Emu and SampleCell card.

With the right midi interface (ie not USB), midi delay is no different than any other sampler.

Ultimately, the convenience of having all your samples on a hard drive ready to go is a major time saver for me.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks John. I feel that it\'s really the best option right now for people who need to work fast with the best sounds, short of owning a wall of samplers. I\'m glad to hear it is working for so many of you. I\'m really looking forward to getting one, as soon as the budget permits. Thanks again....

Go Back to forum