• Register
  • Help

Topic: How does KH auto-divisi differ from Lass auto-arranger

How does KH auto-divisi differ from Lass auto-arranger

Are they the same type of thing? I've always liked the Solo Strings I bought from Kirk years ago. Those really jump life into a mix. Been thinking of getting more from him. And, of course, now Lass too. The money pit never closes.

Also, VSL didn't really answer me, but why do they not also have features like Andrew? I'd sure like to use my Vienna Chamber II Strings as easily as LASS supposidly is with the auto arrange tool.

Re: How does KH auto-divisi differ from Lass auto-arranger

From what I understand, and keep in mind I don't own KH Strings, I think KH does not offer Polyphonic Legato (with Real Legato, Portamento and Glissando) whereas LASS does, and I don't think KH will maintain player count (I'm not sure though) and I don't think it tracks voices the same way that LASS does (up to 13).

I tried to find a KH video on this but couldn't, but someone who owns KH will be able to correct me if I'm wrong.

For videos on AA, you can visit:

I hope this helps.

Andrew K

Re: How does KH auto-divisi differ from Lass auto-arranger

Hello samthsham,

I'll address your specific question about the Divisi topic first:

We have what is called "DivisiLive" and have had it since our initial release of Concert Strings II back in Nov. '09. What it does is based on a group of symphonic-sized string players. So with violins, for example, we have 32 violins (16 1sts, and 16 2nds). Therefore, you can load all of the 1st violins in a single instrument, or all of the 2nd violins in a single instrument. In each of these instruments, you can also select from 4 different section sizes. In this example, you'd get:

16 violins (the "whole" division)
    8 violins (the "half" division)
    4 violins (the "quarter" division)
    Solo (the "solo" division)

So, with flexibility in mind, we decided to let you either choose each section (division) as you wish, or let our "divisiLive" programming select the section (division) based on whether you play a chord or not. How this works is pretty simple. Let's say you choose the "whole" division (16 violins) and turn DivisiLive on. Whenever you play a chord, you'll get 8 violins on each note during the chord, and then 16 violins per note during unison. This will happen automatically. OR...if you choose the "half" division, then you'll get 8 violins per note during chords, and 4 violins during chords. And further, if you choose the "quarter" division, then you'll get solos on each note during chords, and 4 violins per note during unison.

But remember. Though you can choose to have DivisiLive do this "auto-arranging" for you, you can also select which division to use via keyswitching or automation on the fly as well. It's all about choices and flexibility.

Now...about legato:
    We DO use "real legato" There is a video that BRIEFLY describes this at http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/vid...martlegato.mov

Our "SmartLegato" is an intuitive programming feature that enhances playability.
    SmartLegato senses your playing style and knows whether you're playing chords or a single legato-style line, and will adjust accordingly. So what is legato technology? Legato technology enhances the realism when you want to create smooth, connected musical passages. The current convention is that when you play and hold a note, then play a second note while still holding the first note, the first note will stop sounding automatically. This ensures a "mono" or "unison" musical line where you don't get irregular transitions between notes. However, we always thought it inconvenient not to be able to play chords fluidly. If you try, you get note stealing. You might be able to use chords with some legato technologies, but only in a limited fashion. You would have to play the chord, release that chord, and then play another chord. This results in a rather "staccato", or at best, "detaché" sound - no connection or fluidity between the chords. Trying to play chords in any other way would inevitably result in note stealing. But SmartLegato changes the game. When you turn SmartLegato on, true legato technology (as mentioned abouve) is used when playing legato, non-chord passages. And, with SmartLegato, we can also play fluidly-moving chords perfectly without any note stealing. This is because SmartLegato knows when to engage or disengage its legato feature depending on how you are playing.

Here's a nifty tip:
    Load a "combinaition" instrument that has, for example, violins, violas, cellos and basses. Play a triad with your right hand, and an octave with your left hand all at the same time. You'll hear a big fat string chord. Now, continue holding the left hand octave, and release your right hand. You'll still hear the left hand octave. Then, while still holding the left hand octave, play a mono, legato-style line with your right hand. SmartLegato will actually engage true legato technology with the line being played by your right hand while maintaining the held octave on your left hand! All of this happens without ever having to change patches, use a keyswitch, controller, or anything else.

We use real portamentos in our Solos. And the actual size of the interval is detected by the interval you play. The portamenti/glissandi in the ensembles (whole, half and quarter) are scripted, but extremely realistic and very flexible. You can see a video at http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/vid...emo_slides.mov

To see videos on other features, go to http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/videos.html

I hope this answer was not too verbose, but I wanted to make sure I covered the topic thoroghly.

Go Back to forum