• Register
  • Help

Topic: Got GPO4 today, it's different!

Share/Bookmark

Got GPO4 today, it's different!

I'm happy I bought it, but when I tried it the first time, some questions came across:

1 Can I reduce the folder-structure? (no standard->gpo->woodwinds->flute ie), I tried removing standard folder, it didn't load.
    2 Whats up with instruments names? various violins are just numbered, no 'stradivari' etc?
    3 I cant see any knobs readout, I dont like that at all
    4 where are random timbre variation (var 1+2) ?
    5 Can I load my old Ambience presets from GPO2?

I did not have enough time to explore it deeply, but I was almost getting disappointed impression. Maybe someone can make me comfortable while jumping up to version 4 from 2

Re: Got GPO4 today, it's different!

Ad 1. I think it's possible, but not easy. You've got to change quite some of the configuration.
    Ad 2. Yes, no Stradivari. Try the manual (p.127)
    Ad 3. You mean send levels? I think that's the way it is.
    Ad 4. Click on "Controls" on the right side of the plugin or player (between Mixer and Effects)
    Ad 5. Probably not, but I don't know for sure.

I was a bit disappointed at first too, but now I'm used to it. Some time ago, I fired up a GPO2 project, and I'm now sure I'm better off with GPO4...
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaMaster View Post
    I'm happy I bought it, but when I tried it the first time, some questions came across:

1 Can I reduce the folder-structure? (no standard->gpo->woodwinds->flute ie), I tried removing standard folder, it didn't load.
    2 Whats up with instruments names? various violins are just numbered, no 'stradivari' etc?
    3 I cant see any knobs readout, I dont like that at all
    4 where are random timbre variation (var 1+2) ?
    5 Can I load my old Ambience presets from GPO2?

I did not have enough time to explore it deeply, but I was almost getting disappointed impression. Maybe someone can make me comfortable while jumping up to version 4 from 2
    I suggest you to post your ideas in the main forum. ARIA is a version 1 releasement, and it have a lot of place for improvement.
    Here is an old thread that can interest you to read.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...highlight=aria
    Marcelo Colina

The biggest thing about the ARIA engine is the stability. I've never had a crash with it yet.

More features are being added with each release. The Settings page is totally updated in the next release with many more options for configuring how much memory can be set aside for ARIA.

I'd recommend not playing around with the folder structure of the library. It's not like the old monolithic structure of Kontakt.

Jim

Glad to hear ARIA player is still young - plenty of room for improvement.

I dont know what to improve right out of my head, but I know there is some things that could use that.

Btw I found the var 1 & 2 knobs

It occurred to me: whenever I copy a GPO instance, Equalizer, var1&2 and most knobs are reset. I still prefer to work with various instances per instrument groups instead of midi-channels (too much work..) wonder how to share reverb settings for each instance since I cannot save presets!

I would be glad to get rid off the unnecessary 'standard' folder when selecting instruments. I tried removing this folder and moving the instrument definitions one level back, but then they would not appear.

GPO4 sound seems to be slightly duller, less power around 3k-4.5kHz? Possible?
    I also like to know if all instruments are completely re-recorded, or still the same samples as from GPO2. It must be hell of work, but please tell me the truth
    Is this due the new technology or have the samples some basic equalizing applied? Can I counterfeit the slight different sound?
    Am I just scared of getting taken over by the new technology?

And I want KNOBS READOUT, you hear me - knobs READOUT !!.
    I.e. One needs to know if he's at 500ms or more like 5s for reverb decay

Oh, and the VAR button of the old Ambience pluging was always a interesting one, you can switch through random numbers, that probably arent so much random, more like a list. Now we have control over it, but no readout to see it! nnnnnrgh

Go Back to forum